Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012

Tony covert is on a distinguished road
Boatyard near Dahlgren, Va recommendations

Hello all,

My wife and I recently purchased Mao Ta 36 cutter. The boat will need to be on the hard for close to a year while we work on her. We will be moving to Dahlgren Virginia in February2013 and shipping the boat there soon after we arrive. We would like any recommendations for boat yards in the area. I've looked at "Pirates Den Marina" which is the closest to Dahlgren and has a suitable depth for her 6' draft when we splash. Does anyone have any experience with this yard? Does anyone have any suggestions for a yard close to the Dahlgren area? The closer the better. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Boatyard near Dahlgren, Va recommendations

Pirates Den is across the Potomac from Dahlgren, VA in MD....it is easy to boat across, but to drive is aways.... at least 45 minutes and worse if you need parts....you may want to look at Colonial beach, as you will not have to pay MD use tax in addition to VA personal property whilst on the hard.

While VA is not too bad on taxes, those folks in MD...are quite painful when they squeeze and it is up to YOU to know, you will get little if any accurate help from the MD tax/boat/water folks
Old 10-29-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

If this was me, I'd beat the cost of a boat yard against a private storage area along with the cost of the crane and/or trailer to splash.
Old 10-29-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Dahlgren Marine Works is in Dahlgren but has limited lift ability
Old 10-29-2012

Raybrett is on a distinguished road

Greetings, I keep a 27' Contest at Dahlgren Marine Services. They have several open slips. I don't know the capacity of their open lift crane, which happens to be down right now. It's a clean and neatly maintained facility.
As I write this my boat is not in the slip but among a bunch of others anchored in a nice nearby hurricane hole escaping Sandy.
Incidently, the current owners home behind the marina once belonged to Mrs. Golden, who was visited by John Wilks Booth while escaping from DC after assanniating Pres. Lincoln.
The marina is next to the Naval Surface Warfare Command, Dahlgren. They have an active sailing and casual racing fleet and their own marina. Shopping and restaurants are a short drive away.
I've kept boats at Pirates Den and Shymansky's at Cobb Island MD. They allow you to work on your boat. I like them both.
If I lived in King George VA, which I do , I'd consider Dahlgren Marine works. The lower Potomac is a great place for sailing.
Internet: Dahlgren Marine Services.
Old 10-29-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Kd3pc is right on the tax issue. Maryland will take a much bigger bite out of your wallet than VA. There's a lot of boating in Colonial Beach and it's pretty close by.
Old 11-05-2012

hey all, thanks for all your input. My wife and I decided that we will just set the boat up on the property of the house we're renting in Virginia. That way I can work on it for longer and also be able to build a Stimpson Bow Roof Shed to enclose it, allowing me to work year round. After we put it in the water I think we will keep it at the Yacht club at the entrance of Monroe bay, but that's at least a year or two off...
Old 11-05-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

We purchased our sailboat late last fall in Colonial Beach and I would not recommend going there. Marina is okay but mostly a powerboat marina and the yard is owned by a second-tier company and he is a one man mechanic with a few helpers. Very little electrical power, small yard, sailboat in front of us fell over...,my ladder kept on disappearing even when I locked it to the stands (later I saw it in the yard and one of the yard help was using it) very crowded and subject to damage, etc.... We had such bad luck there that we moved her during bottom work repair because we just couldn't stay there any longer.

Mao Ta 36 cutters are very rare and unique sailboat. Definitely made for the ocean, remember seeing one a few years back and it had something like a 20,000 lbs displacement for a 36 footer. The one I saw was a Union 36 but I believe they are the same or darn close.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 11-05-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

Tony,
I'm not quite sure of the draft on your Mao Ta but I would guess close to 6 feet? You're going to find that Monroe Bay gets real skinny, real fast and that the Colonial Beach Yacht club MAY have enough water, but only on the outer slips and you can expect to bump.
Across the river, you have Cobb Island with deeper water going to Cobb Island Marina, as an option but then you have a $3 toll everytime you cross the Harry Nice bridge.
If you go further down the river, you'll have better cruising grounds and deeper water. For us, it's worth the drive. We live in Fredericksburg and keep the boat on the Yeocomico.
Tom
Tartan 37-C, #59
Old 11-05-2012

Well that sounds terrible.. I haven't really figured out where I'll go after we get the boat finished. For now we're happy with decision to have the boat close to home. I hear Oliversons is nice.. but that's at least an hour drive or more. I'll deal with that once I get there

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.