Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Really glad you guys came through okay. This was one scary storm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

My major concern was the storm surge.

I stripped my jib, but secured the main inside the sailcover with a length of line. My slip neighbor and I secure our boats to each other to ride out the storms in the middle of the slips. This keeps us from chafing the slip, and we don't have to worry about the fenders popping out. I visited my boat last night and she was happily riding over the waves.

Last night's tide in RI was 6' above normal, but the pilings had another 6' to go before we would be in trouble. It was weird walking UP the catwalk to get from the parking lot to the dock.
EJO likes this.
Old 10-30-2012

JimPendoley is on a distinguished road

I rode it out at anchor in the Merrimac River, Mass about four miles upriver from the river mouth. Had one huge anchor set in ten feet of water with 150' of rode in sand, plenty of chafing gear. Got a little nerve wracking on the outgoing tide as the wind was in opposition, caused me to sail around a bit and worried that I'd pull out the huge danforth I had set. Boat was a secure haven down below, fireplace burning (insulated to the waterline), books and internet. Never saw more than 65knots, but never want to experieince more either. Interesting what a difference insulation makes-muffles the sound a lot.

Aboard now, still at anchor and enjoying the calm.
EJO likes this.
Old 10-30-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

I am told my boat is still riding at anchor where I left her. I am going to go down tomorrow and bring her back in, figured I would ride out the just passed, and tomorrow mornings high tides on the hook. Told only some torn biminis and covers where I am in Kent Narrows. The pic of the marina this morning had the water at a full moon high tide level into the lot, didn't want to see the high tide. I did see some pics of boats knocked off stands in Worton Creek, one with an unfurled headsail. I just don't understand why people leave them on, I mean I like a gamble but with those odds why risk it?
Old 10-30-2012

kjones is on a distinguished road

All good for me on the magothy. Some leaves and twigs in deck an minor flooding over the docks but all good beyond that. We really did dodge a bullet.
Old 10-30-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
I rode it out at anchor in the Merrimac River, Mass about four miles upriver from the river mouth. Had one huge anchor set in ten feet of water with 150' of rode in sand, plenty of chafing gear. Got a little nerve wracking on the outgoing tide as the wind was in opposition, caused me to sail around a bit and worried that I'd pull out the huge danforth I had set. Boat was a secure haven down below, fireplace burning (insulated to the waterline), books and internet. Never saw more than 65knots, but never want to experieince more either. Interesting what a difference insulation makes-muffles the sound a lot.

Aboard now, still at anchor and enjoying the calm.
The idea of staying "cozy" during a crazy 65 knot blow is amazing. I've been on my boat in the slip in 52 knots. I couldn't relax...even in the slip! I would have been a mess at anchor.

Glad it all went well for you JP.
KBuckley and EJO like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-30-2012

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

came through fine, tide was a bit higher than normal. cockpit filled with leaves but doesn't seemed to have clogged the drains up. Did find a small puddle about two inches in diameter around the quarter berth

casa rio at the back of Cradle Creek

new camo paint job
Old 10-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Kj, bubbles glad the hear from you and others here on the Chessie. My experiences were similar on board. Ran the engine a little today to get hot water for a shower. Little black cat heater kept the cabin cozy, nice bottle of Pinot from California worked well. I have a flat screen HD which I run through the inverter only draws 1.5 amps. Watched some of the talking heads of newscasters going stark crazy like they were ADD on crack. The TV reports let me see how the rest were faring though. Finally settled down to a good DVD movie. What a trip watching that heeled 12 degrees in the slip with the lines creaking the boat riding back and forth side to side and the wind howling. Feeling the boat shuddering with the bow held into the wind by the dock lines was a new feel.

Today much calmer. Water up over the docks so I stayed put. My wife went to work ( she's a baby nurse) planning to stay there for a few days as hospital is a code yellow. She said the lights came back on again at 2AM. Haleakula held up well.

My hearts out to the people in NYC. Unbelievable stories from the crane, to the water going into the holes in the ground, to the whole neighborhood burning to the ground. Makes you thankful for what you have. Hopefully all my friends with boats north of there pulled through unscathed.

This was a great experience to be on the boat in elements like this. In my early 20s I had the fortunate experience to cross the Atlantic twice on large Baltics. One was uneventfull. One was in a storm similar with 40 ft waves and 65 plus winds. This before GPS and weather fax. I was very frightened and though I was a goner. It was a very sobering experience which has affected me through my life concerning safety on my boat for sure. I was very young then and thought I was indestructible. There is no way to understand what it's like sitting behind the computer protected. (Not meant as a dig, just saying) No amount of books describing situations can replace or duplicate the sounds , feelings, or impressions. I have always been a big proponent of experience as the ultimate teacher. To get that there are risks yes, but the rewards help you greatly. Maybe you live in an area you can only sail 6 months a year...go charter somewhere different. Get out in the elements , go sailing....just do it.

Even though I was in a slip, protected, in sight of solid land, being in the elements gives you plenty of time to think about stuff as well.
At one point I sat in my foulies in the cockpit, 65 knott gusts whistling about, spray everywhere, rain stinging my face, cold...this was a cold storm, I was amazed at ABSOLUTE
Power of Mother Nature. When I got back in my cocoon of protection of the cabin, and dried off and got some chili, I thanked god I was not out in this storm, detached from my lifelines.

In spite of sailing for 40 years I feel I m always learning and learning about myself, you are the sum total of your experiences after all. I will look at my boat differently, look at storms with new experience of touching them, and FEELING the power of the weather.

Those of you who rode this out on your boats understand maybe what I am saying. This is not meant as disrespect or any slight to others how they handled this storm ( someone on SN will inevitably twist my meaning or words) . To those who FELT the power of this long extended strong storm have gained a great experience and understand slightly more the strain and pressures on your boats. Imagine how the original explorers must have felt sibling into the unknown, not knowing where thy were going, not knowing the weather, not knowing f the earth was flat. How brave and courageous were they.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-30-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Great fall decorations Uncle Jim. Glad you came through unscathed.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-30-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Chef,

I'll take the bait.....

--Those of you who rode this out on your boats understand maybe what I am saying. This is not meant as disrespect or any slight to others how they handled this storm ( someone on SN will inevitably twist my meaning or words) --

As in real seamen ride out the storm, lesser seamen seek safety of a shore house? But then, some people think it's nuts to stay on the boat to adjust the lines, or to just get the experience, in a hurricane (or bad tropical storm).

Then there are these two statements:

---In my early 20s I had the fortunate experience to cross the Atlantic twice on large Baltics. One was uneventfull. One was in a storm similar with 40 ft waves and 65 plus winds. This before GPS and weather fax. I was very frightened and though I was a goner. It was a very sobering experience which has affected me through my life concerning safety on my boat for sure. I was very young then and thought I was indestructible.

----In spite of sailing for 40 years I feel I m always learning and learning about myself, you are the sum total of your experiences after all. I will look at my boat differently, look at storms with new experience of touching them, and FEELING the power of the weather.

In the first case, it seems you had already experience the power of weather, but in second case, it sounded like a new experience?

And....

----There is no way to understand what it's like sitting behind the computer protected. (Not meant as a dig, just saying)

It sure sounds like a dig, just saying.

Glad that you came out well, I hope the same for all the other boaters, and for those people behind computers on shore as well.