Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

NCC230'

Grow up will you. There was no bait to take. It wasn't meant as any dig. Stop reading into it.
I am thankfull for all my friends who survived this torment whatever way they did and that they are safe no matter how they handled it.

Dave
EJO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2012

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Great fall decorations Uncle Jim. Glad you came through unscathed.

Dave
got to decorate for the Great Pumpkin
Old 10-30-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
NCC230'

Grow up will you. There was no bait to take. It wasn't meant as any dig. Stop reading into it.
I am thankfull for all my friends who survived this torment whatever way they did and that they are safe no matter how they handled it.

Dave
Chef...

It's cool...

In my past life (engineer), I once had a supervisor who loved to play a game. Each morning our group of 8-10 would assemble for a brief review of problems, solutions, and happenings in the plant over the previous night, and if necessary to discuss possible solutions to ongoing problems. On slow days, when everything was running smoothly, the supervisor would make some statement to get under the skin of one or more of the engineers....never anything personal, but something work related that might be argued about. If no one challenged his statement, he would take a little more absurd position. Eventually, it would get bad enough that someone would take issue with the supervisor's position. Then the debate was on, and sometimes it would get a little heated. It wasn't that the supervisor believed the positions he sometimes took, it was just a game to see who could be superior in debating skills. Sometimes in these internet threads, you seem to do likewise...It's almost as if you wanted someone to question a statement or position just to get a discussion going. Could this be true?

Irregardless, for those who came out ok in this serious storm, I'm glad for you, and for those who didn't, I wish you the best in recovery.
jppp likes this.
Old 10-30-2012

NCC,

Please stop hijacking the thread. It is not about me. Feel free to PM me with your personal remarks and stories.

Things have really qweited down. Going home early in the AM to go to work in DC. Watching the news tonight I feel horrible for people in Nj and Nj who got whacked.

As a side note I sold my house of 20 years 10 years ago. This house was in Ocean City , NJ.
Sandy swept it away the other night as the "eye" came ashore there. Talking today with my friends there they said the bay and ocean met and it was 4 ft deep at the highest point f the island. These 100 year storms comming every 2 years is something.
No matter what the disputed cause is....the fact s that the weather appears to be more extreme.

Everyone everywhere please stay safe.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-31-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Dave the worst we were ever out in was Gale force 9. Me and my friends had chartered a 1993 C&C 34 plus, we were in for quite a ride. We picked her up in Vancouver and sailed her across to the gulf islands, the first few days were great. On the morning that we were to take here back, I noticed all of the other boats were leaving early at 5:00 in the morning a little unusual. Then I thought I would put the weather on the forcast was for gale force 7 winds. I woke the captain and let him know what was going on, he said it would be a good sail across the straight and went back to bed for another hour or so. To say the least we were out in 9 to 15 foot waves for the rest or the day, when the wind hit 46 konts we knew we were in for a long day gale force 9. By the end of the day we limped in with a shreaded jib and a new appreciation for land. Every boat we saw that day had sail damage of some sort. I learned a lot that day, trust my own heart and never sail with a freind with less knowledge. In the end it took $300.00 some dollars each to fix the jib. But I have great video of the storm.
Old 10-31-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Did anyone get the lowest barometric pressure as the eye passed over? Just curious.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-31-2012

baro pressure

My boat one said 28.63, but I think offical one at BWI was lower

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 10-31-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road

In our little marina 2 boats were left in their slips. They're fine. Most of the boats on their stands floated off of them. I saw maybe 3-5 still on stands. Found a friends Coranado on the bike path half a mile up river. She was standing up right on her keel with the mast in a tree holding her straight. Many are missing. I'm sure the missing will wash up some on the banks of the Hudson at some point. Most of the remaining were blown into a corner of the yard.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 10-31-2012

Jppp,

How about yours? How did you fare? That sucks for the others. Stay safe

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 10-31-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

"Downeast" escaped with a strong easterly gale. My view out of Seal Harbor, into Eastern Way, on Monday, was of two Coast Guard 42 footers training in breaking seas that obscured them occasionally. I moved TD to Northeast Harbor Sunday afternoon and am tied to a moored float there now. Haul out on Friday. A month early this year. They took all the dinghy docks out for the storm.

It is painful to see the conditions suffered by those in the direct path of the storm. Wishing you all the best from Mount Desert Island.

Down