Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Palmetto Moon and all our dockmates came through undamaged. I was told one boat in the entire marina got some damage and that was from rubbing a piling and while I'm sure the owner is upset it wasn't something that would threaten the vessel.

What I did find unusual was that in the forest of masts of our marina, the huge marina across the creek and several other smaller ones, I didn't see a single headsail that had come loose.

We were really fortunate that this storm went north of us and the winds kept the surge down. I really feel for the residents of the coasts further north that suffered the full brunt of Sandy.

I really hope to haul out next time we get one this close.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

Yorktown VA, our pier is in a very nicely protected cove on the Sarah Creek. Most of the owners had secured their boats Friday night, then again Saturday and we spent part of Sunday checking for problems.
I arrived Friday night and waved goodbye to everyone as it was too dark to work. Slept well with a light rocking. Saturday was spent doubling the lines and brailing the jib and mainsl, Sisu has an external furling main. Stored the dinghy in the dinghy racks, took lots of pictures of everyone's boats and the owners who came back to recheck their lines.

Sandy started wind during the afternoon and rain about 6:30pm. Slept very well for about 2 hours at a time, we were gently rocking with an occasional blast rolling her to port about 10 degrees. Boo kept going down in the bilge to play then jumping up on the V-berth to let me know there was water in the bilge, not very sleep inducing.

Sunday morning the rain and wind were heavy; wind about 30 kts with gusts to 40+kts, in our little cove. Out on the York River it was nasty. Took high tide pics at 9am. A couple of boat owners came down to check their lines. Some surprise awaited them, the fixed docks were under about 8+inches of water.

Sunday night I helped set up a Red Cross shelter in Maryland for any evacuees from the area, including the Annapolis area.

Monday was fine around home, then Sandy said hello. As the rain and wind increased I knew Sisu was safe. Sandy came in much higher in NJ, saving most of DC and south from the worse.
Monday night I helped staff the shelter overnight. Most of the storm was similar to Irene, but cold - real cold.
Tuesday, friends reported Sisu fine and no problems. Their boat took on a little water, so I expect Sisu swallowed a lot more and spit it out.

Boo and I head down Friday night to release her from the web of lines she is riding in.
Old 10-31-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Jackdale

Barometric pressure at BWI Airport 12 miles away was 28.49 or 964 at the height of the storm. Lowest reading ever in the history of readings in Baltimore area.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-31-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: baro pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
My boat one said 28.63, but I think offical one at BWI was lower

Dave
Thanks the only one I have found online was Delaware City at 956 mb. But it was south of the eye, I think.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-31-2012

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

Sandy versus Katrina, and Irene: Monster Hurricanes by the Numbers: Scientific American

Never Forgotten

Old 10-31-2012

GrumpyPawPaw is on a distinguished road

NJ didn't fair so well. Morgan Marina in Raritan Bay was destroyed. 99% of boats floated off stands and now just one big pile.
Old 10-31-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

The of that report was the diameter of Sandy compared to the other two.

Diameter (extent of high winds)

Katrina: 400 miles

Irene: 520 miles

Sandy: 940 miles
Old 10-31-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Not having checked the boat yet, but I am sure she is OK.

Spending more than 6 hours to prep the boat, I beleive it will take us 2 days to untie everything to put her back to ready to journey south. Time is getting tight, Bahamas seems moving farther away each day.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-31-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

We had no issues whatever, snuggled up Lodge Creek, off the Yeocomico, off the Potomac. Lots of high water and when I checked yesterday at 1500, the water was level with the docks. Odd having the waterline equal to my feet. No damage at all, just a few minor new leaks below from "somewhere", perhaps the genoa track ... but it's never leaked before.

Quote:
As a side note I sold my house of 20 years 10 years ago. This house was in Ocean City , NJ.
Sandy swept it away the other night as the "eye" came ashore there.
My parents had a house for 30 years at 23rd and West Ave in OCNJ (sold in the 1990's). I have no idea what's become of it. Incredibly, my brother-in-law kept his Cape Dory 25D in the water in Somers Point and it sustained no damage. He now thinks they're indestructible. I say that he's just lucky.

Chef - I get what you were saying in the earlier post. Sailing is a continuous learning process no matter what experience one possesses. Being behind a computer snug and safe from the elements is far different from being outside.
Old 10-31-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Sabre,

It wasnt meant condescending and I know you didnt take it that way. I feel the experience I got in a somewhat controlled environement as I was in a slip ( although I was prepared to anchor if the slip got dangerous) will help me in terms of chafe gear and what to expect when I go cruising eventually. The preparation and adjusting of lines throughout, even to the gear I wear when I went on deck is something I have to evaluatue again. At least here I got a taste of it, it would be far different anchored behind an island in the Abacos when something similar with winds this blew up.

Plus I got to help at my club with some of the other sailors keep the boats still docked safe. We have a tight knit club and all own it as well as stick together when stuff like this happens.

Was a frightening experience in a way, and I didnt have to deal with what the people north of Cape May to LI had to deal with in terms of surge.

BTW since I know you know Ocean City well, my friends said the eye passed over them. Bay met the ocean 4 ft deep in the island. The house I had lived in on Seaspray Rd for 18 years is heavily damaged from the wind as well as the tidal surge and flooding from the back bay. I feel for my friends there and have offered refuge here if they need to.
Gpnna take some generators down to them on Friday as power wont be on for weeks in OC.

Dave

I have been out in crap like that before, but this was entirely different, feeling the wind at that sustained speed and seeing what it did was amazing.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner