Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Quote:
BTW since I know you know Ocean City well, my friends said the eye passed over them
During the storm, I was watching a webcam overlooking the boardwalk at about 12th street. When it went offline at about 1700, the last image was of the ocean breaching the dunes and heading for the boardwalk. Using WindAlert, I monitored the ocean buoy about 20 miles east of OC. Projections showed a drop in wind speed from ~60 to ~18 for 2 hours (I think that it was around 0000). That would support your friend's statement about the storm's eye.

Sad to see the town where I grew up so devastated. The street where my sister has a condo in Longport has 2' of sand in it. Good thing that her condo is on the 2nd floor... not sure of it's condition though.
Old 10-31-2012

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road

Great Kills Harbor, Staten Island, NY.
My boat is swinging happily on a mooring where I left her on Sunday. There are very few boats left afloat in the bay.
I have mixed feelings. On one side I'm extremely happy, on another side, it is very sad times around here.

My boat chewed through two mooring lines. Another two, rigged differently, through the anchor roller, and tied to the mainmast, hold the boat alright.

Boat is dry inside, battery is full, no leaks through out the storm.
Old 11-01-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Palmetto Moon and all our dockmates came through undamaged.

I really hope to haul out next time we get one this close.
Ironically, all the boats who hauled out for the storm in the north nj area wound up getting damaged, while those who stayed in slips or at anchor/mooring largely did fine. Liberty landing floating docks came within a foot of going over the pilings, and many of the docks at across the canal at liberty harbor did in fact rise over the pulings but although the docks were destroyed, most boats seemed ok. Storm surge floated the hauled out boats off their stands, here's some pics, at liberty landing but other than major scratching most looked OK. Same thing happened at Raritan yacht club, however they are less protected, being right on the bay, so the surge combined with waves dominoes, then stacked the boats against a cliff and pounded them to bits so I hear. I have a friend who wanted to pay to get his boat into liberty landing, but wouldn't on principle because he thought they were overcharging for storm haulouts. He wound up securing his Catalina 27 to a dinghy dock mooring in a little cove at liberty state park. It rode out the storm OK, even though the surge turned the cove into open water. I saw it the next day, bobbing viciously buy OK. He had reinforced his bow cleats with backing plates I should mention. verdict from this storm seems to be that boats are meant to float, and hauling out on land can often be more dangerous than staying in the water.

Anyway, posting from a cell phone cuz I still don't have power...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Ironically, all the boats who hauled out for the storm in the north nj area wound up getting damaged, while those who stayed in slips or at anchor/mooring largely did fine. Liberty landing floating docks came within a foot of going over the pilings, and many of the docks at across the canal at liberty harbor did in fact rise over the pulings but although the docks were destroyed, most boats seemed ok. Storm surge floated the hauled out boats off their stands, here's some pics, at liberty landing but other than major scratching most looked OK. Same thing happened at Raritan yacht club, however they are less protected, being right on the bay, so the surge combined with waves dominoes, then stacked the boats against a cliff and pounded them to bits so I hear. I have a friend who wanted to pay to get his boat into liberty landing, but wouldn't on principle because he thought they were overcharging for storm haulouts. He wound up securing his Catalina 27 to a dinghy dock mooring in a little cove at liberty state park. It rode out the storm OK, even though the surge turned the cove into open water. I saw it the next day, bobbing viciously buy OK. He had reinforced his bow cleats with backing plates I should mention. verdict from this storm seems to be that boats are meant to float, and hauling out on land can often be more dangerous than staying in the water.

Anyway, posting from a cell phone cuz I still don't have power...

Those photos are exactly why I say, and will continue to say, over and over "give me my mooring in a hurricane or Nor'Easter any day of the week vs. a dock or dry land." .... Those pics hurt to see..

Our boat came through without a scratch but we only saw 55-60 but mostly steady 35-45. Seen more in Nor'Easters.. That said I feel for the folks in NY & NJ and it looks there like it did up here in the Blizzard of 1978 when our house was floated clean off its foundation....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-01-2012

kjango is on a distinguished road

Lowest I read on my barometer was 971 millibars. The lowest my barometer can read is 970.
Old 11-01-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Glad to hear you guys came through okay, chech. I was wondering about you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-01-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I debated staying on my mooring but every major storm there are boats lost because other boats break free or drag on undersized gear. I called my insurance company and they preferred I haul out and paid for it so I chose that route.

I moved my boat from Noank CT up the Pawcatuck river into Westerly RI. The storm surge was just low enough to keep the boats on their stands. Another foot and it would be over.

Unfortunately I had to wait till Monday morning g to get hauled. The wind was already blowing down the river pretty hard. It was a mess getting to the travel lift and I scratched my hull on the work dock. I'm not complaining though because many have it so much worse.

At some. Point I lost a blade on my prop. I don't know if I hit something or it was the stress do full forward then reversing trying to fight the wind. Maybe I caught a submerged dock line? Anyway I'll be needing a new prop . Luckily I was already fighting my way down the work dock when I felt the vibrations of running on one blade. If it happened out on the river I may have ended up on the rocks with a hurricane approaching.
Old 11-01-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Ironically, all the boats who hauled out for the storm in the north nj area wound up getting damaged, while those who stayed in slips or at anchor/mooring largely did fine. ... verdict from this storm seems to be that boats are meant to float, and hauling out on land can often be more dangerous than staying in the water.
Thanks for sharing, and reaffirming my hypothesis that a boat with a mast is better protected in the water, than on the hard. If you can imagine the force of 90 MPH winds on your spars and rigging, and factor in the leverage that the length of the mast provides, versus the support over a relatively small angle of heel that is supported by the stands (at what angle of heel does the boat reach the point of instability on the stands?) and you can see why I preferred that my boat remain in the water (now if I could only find a mooring).

Those pictures, and the pics coming out of NJ, make me very sad.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 11-01-2012

THEFRENCHA is on a distinguished road

Not so sure Eherlihy ! In Boston we had a 36 ft racer on its mooring that lost its mast > Snapped right about 1 feet above deck !
Old 11-01-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

That actually reinforces my point...

How much force do you think it took to snap that mast? What would have happened if the boat had been on the hard with the mast up?

I believe that a sailboat would be most stable in the water, on a reliable mooring, with the mast pulled. Far more stable than on stands.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems