Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Peering out my living room window at midnight on Monday, it seemed I was looking UP at my boat…(grin)

In a nutshell, I was incredibly fortunate… My boat came thru without a scratch, and I only wound up getting about 4’ of water inside my house… Compared to most in my neighborhood, that’s nothing… Most homes on the bayfront are completely destroyed, and many people had several feet of water inside… And, compared to what I’ve seen on the news, even these lagoon communities on Barnegat Bay fared reasonably well, the barrier beaches look like war zones, I can’t believe what I’m seeing…

When Sandy began to accelerate as it approached the coast, being in the NE quadrant as I was, I thought we were well and truly screwed. I was expecting to see winds of 115 or so, but the front side of the storm didn’t seem all that bad, and I began to hope I might have dodged a bullet…

But, then the circulation moved directly out of the south, that’s when it really began to get intense… And, it was relentless, blew hard out of the south well thru Tuesday… But at around midnight Monday, at precisely the time of high tide in my part of the bay, the water rose with incredible speed. The only thing I’ve ever seen close to it, was being caught in a flood on the Erie Canal many years ago. It was literally akin watching a bathtub fill with water…

My lagoon is a great little hurricane hole, but once the bay waters overran the surrounding land, only the 8 houses to the south of me offered any protection. The wave action was incredible, my boat was pitching as if it had been anchored in the open bay. My floating dock eventually tore itself free of my bulkhead, but having the boat spider-webbed across my lagoon was critical, and fortunately everything stayed put…

Here's the "Before" pic, storm prep fairly complete...

And here's the "After"...

The pic was taken Tuesday morning, the water had probably receded about 18 inches from the top of the surge 8 hours before. I have an outside guest room a few feet lower than the main house, so that is pretty trashed, but I managed to stow a lot of stuff in there high enough that it stayed dry… But, no structural damage that I can see, basically what I’m facing is just a lot of messy cleanup… The pic is deceptively placid, just looks like high water – but trust me, much of my neighborhood is utterly devastated, it will never be the same…Again, small change compared to what tens of thousands of others along the shore and elsewhere have suffered…

To give some idea of how extraordinary the surge was from Sandy, bear in mind that my neighbor's place across the lagoon was originally built in 1948... Although it looks incredibly low, bay water has NEVER entered that house - not in the Ash Wednesday Storm of '62, nor the Northeaster of '92, nor the passage of the eye of Irene last year just a few miles to the west of us... Yet, Monday night, Dave probably had over 4 feet of water in his living room...

And, here's what probably did me in, and made the difference between staying just above the surge, and not...

I live off that little bay in the extreme upper right hand corner of the shot. Water has a long way to come in from the ocean to my part of the bay, either down from Manasquan Inlet to the north, or up from Barnegat Inlet to the south... but, the breach of the barrier beach at Mantoloking, that likely made the difference...

And, I’ve got to put in a plug for my home state, I’ve never been more proud to be a Jersey Boy, the reaction of my neighbors and everyone I’ve seen to this has been exemplary, I’m fortunate indeed to find myself in the midst of such an extraordinary community of people…
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

Jon,
Nice tie down job. Glad to see you didn't loose your boat too!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 11-02-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Jon,

Glad your are ok that's the most important. Incredible luck. I knw exactly where yo re as I kept my first keelboat on the Toms River in Dillon Creek. God looked over you.

I lived in Ocean City for 18 years when I worked in Atlantic City. I have spoken to many friends in the last two days and am thankful from their stories they re ok. My old house was overrun by the ocean and doesn't exist anymore. Their comments all was the incredible peed the water came in.

Glad again to see you re ok.....I also still call myself a Jersey Boy ( I was from Philly though) here in MD cause I am proud to be. jersey boy.

Stay healthy

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-03-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you came thru this in one piece. Pretty impressive pictures.

Gotta go, according to the sailnet banner some girl from Ukraine wants to chat with me about the storm
Old 11-03-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Jon,
So glad to hear that you came through this relatively unscathed.

Just coming back on line here in lower Manhattan, NYC. Power/internet restored around 0400.
On Monday I was all over the internet watching the weather and the ominous buildup of the tides as each high tide cycle happened. I watched my barometer too and it was lower than anything I have ever seen before; somewhere near 960 +/-, before the highest surge hit when the power went out and we were knocked back to the 1930's with a battery powered radio our only news and candle light dinners.
The picture below was taken before the surge but the water came up to the white line in the foreground. I was worried about my car which was parked on the street but escaped the high water by about 2 feet. The Hudson River is at the end of the street, on the other side of the West Side Highway or 9A.

Our boat miraculously rode out the storm on her mooring 30 miles up river. I had debated having her hauled out but inertia and a Scotsman's deep pockets prevented that action from being followed. It turned out that many of the boats that did haul were knocked over by the storm surge anyway. The majority of the moored keel boats at our club had mooring failures, ending up in dire straights. All in all, we are quite fortunate.

The clean up effort is made worse by a shortage of gasoline stations as power outages keep many stations from pumping and the supply chain has been disrupted. Long lines and short tempers will be the norm for the next week I fear. The cleanup effort for this one will be a long arduous road.

We are not used to being on the "wrong" side of Tropical weather systems. Sure, some of them have come directly over the Long Island area but we have never before had the unprecedented tidal surge and widespread damage and chaos that this one brought. Low lying, built up areas suffered the worst as might be expected. The damage to the NJ/NY area is devastating.

Counting my blessings in NYC.
Attached Thumbnails
Hurricane Sandy:  How did you do?-hs-view-greenwich.jpg  

Everybody has one:

Old 11-03-2012
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road

It's interesting that the breach occurred right at where the bridge from the mainland comes over. I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if the pilings from the bridge somehow created a weak point in the barrier island?

Other than the overwash, the beach looks like it took the storm pretty well. I've seen places in the Outer Banks, for example, where a storm like this might move the beach right up to the houses' front porches. It also doesn't look like the Jersey beach houses are on "stilts" like the OBX houses are. That might have helped here, but I guess it's not the custom up north because of the relative lack of severe tropical storms.

Monrovia, MD
Old 11-04-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
It's interesting that the breach occurred right at where the bridge from the mainland comes over. I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if the pilings from the bridge somehow created a weak point in the barrier island?

Other than the overwash, the beach looks like it took the storm pretty well. I've seen places in the Outer Banks, for example, where a storm like this might move the beach right up to the houses' front porches. It also doesn't look like the Jersey beach houses are on "stilts" like the OBX houses are. That might have helped here, but I guess it's not the custom up north because of the relative lack of severe tropical storms.
Um, several communities were buried in several feet of sand, and they are still digging out now as we speak...

Stilts would be a no brainier for certain beach communities for sure, I wonder whether new building codes might require hem for new construction, sounds like a great idea...
Old 11-04-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Upper Hudson relatively unaffected - except for massive debris now in the water. 60 mile from NYC now seeing desperate gas hunters from Jersey and Connecticut.
Old 11-04-2012

bristol29 is on a distinguished road

We had 10ft surge at my marina on south shore of LI. Only damaged boats were those on the hard. I removed all sails and the boom and used 30ft spring lines on the stern and tied bow as high as practical on the pilings. One of my vent covers was blown off, so now I guess I can justify getting those solar vents I wanted.
Old 11-04-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Greetings,

It's been a busy week !

I was without Phone and Communications until Friday. My house survived, still no power, but we had Natural Gas Hot water and Cooking.. no Heat though! ( oil)

Miraculously, Tempest Survived almost without a scratch. 1 little gel coat scratch near the stern. She was high and dry the next morning and I started the engine and moved her to safety. I'm on the Raritan Bay in NJ, 15 miles west of Sandy Hook. I hope to change the oil and winterize next week and haul for the winter.

My Parents well into their 80's, lived in the west side of Barnaget Bay 1 block from the water, their home was flooded and is currently uninhabitable, I've re-located them to the PAX River Naval Air Station in Md. where my Brother is stationed until we can figure out the next move for them. ( it was too cold in my house for them) I will return home to NJ tomorrow to begin to deal with the damages to their home of 30 years.
But for now they are safe and warm!

Given all that I have seen in the last week, we consider ourselves extremely fortunate. So much devastation! My thoughts go out to all who suffered loss in this storm and who are still living without utilities and worse. I took a few pictures of my marina the next morning, and of Tempest floating in her slip.

Photobucket

A new Dawn and a New Day~

Last edited by Tempest; 11-04-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add a photo