Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Tempest.

Good to finally hear from you. I was hoping you would post soon as I know you were pretty much in the bulls eye of the storm. Thank goodness your family is ok. A bonus is the boat being ok also.

I know you will have good stories when we raft up with you this year when we travel north next summer

Stay well and good luck

Dave
Tempest likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Broken mizzen boom, broken boom gallows. A few other dents. Home undamaged.
Old 11-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Wandering Star...you are in Northport or Mt Siani. Sorry for your damage, but glad she came through it better than lots of others,

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-06-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Just came back on power....Wyndwitch rode it out well although nearly had to swim to it Sunday to adjust the lines! Water was damn chilly. Glad to hear most of the new. Yorkers faired well and WS also sorry for your damage. Man having the heat back is nice.I have been working in Babylonvillage south of montauk hwy. Houses are being gutted to replaceshtrk and insulation Quite a few houses right on bay torn up.Peak flood was about chest height on Araca Road mid way to the bay....Certainly much worse than Gloria....Best to all who live near the sea....
Old 11-06-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I heard a scary comment from a meteorologist yesterday, something to the effect many houses on the ocean will not be there in the next ten years or so. And it seems to be a consensus that these "freak storms" are not freakish anymore and they will become more common.

Dave Nye (the science guy) said he expects to see more of these north Atlantic hurricanes in the near future. Imagine the cost of making the entire Atlantic coast hurricane ready.
Old 11-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I fail to see what is so "freak" about this Storm. We've had many storms hit the East Coast, including New England. I believe one brushes every 5 years and plows right through every 20 years. The hurricane of '38 is still considered the deadliest, having killed about 700 people. Did NYC think it was immune?

I have complete passion for those affected. I just find it odd that so many think this was a trend of some kind. A new spot on the East Coast pulls the short straw all the time.
oysterman23 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-06-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I fail to see what is so "freak" about this Storm. We've had many storms hit the East Coast, including New England. I believe one brushes every 5 years and plows right through every 20 years. The hurricane of '38 is still considered the deadliest, having killed about 700 people. Did NYC think it was immune?

I have complete passion for those affected. I just find it odd that so many think this was a trend of some kind. A new spot on the East Coast pulls the short straw all the time.
I dunno, in this part of the country we had Irene last year, and Sandy exactly 13 months later. Not sure I recall a precedent here for two near-direct hits in consecutive years.

In a few years we'll have a better idea whether this is the start of a trend. Extrapolating weather observations to climate conclusions is always risky.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I dunno, in this part of the country we had Irene last year, and Sandy exactly 13 months later. Not sure I recall a precedent here for two near-direct hits in consecutive years.

In a few years we'll have a better idea whether this is the start of a trend. Extrapolating weather observations to climate conclusions is always risky.
I agree, climate change requires a generation to measure, not a couple of random years.

My intuition might suggest the tracks are a bit more westerly, but tropical systems have been a threat out here routinely.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-06-2012

Here is a noaa link. Click on the hurricane tab on upper right and zoom into the northeast. There have been dozens of them.

Historical Hurricane Tracks

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 11-06-2012

2d Wind is on a distinguished road