Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Here in VA, (Hurricane, Tropical Storm, Extratropical Cyclone ... take your choice) Sandy has passed. How did you do? What is your situation now? What do you need now to recover?
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2012

Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

This is the kind of storm that gives one a new appreciation of the difference between the less dangerious and more dangerous hemispheres. From perusing the news, there was much more damage from storm surge in NJ, NY, and points north of the track than south. But precipitation was much greater to the south, and the damage from flooding is still to come.

Sandy passed N.VA about 100 miles to the north, and was speedier than we thought it would be. Our winds were not as bad due to the greater speed of advance. According to the Fairfax County web site's blog for Emergency Information, around ~90 roads are closed in the County (fallen trees and early flooding), ~100 traffic signals are out, and ~60,000 have no power. Fifty three homes have been damaged by fallen trees and there are 42 power lines down (all as of 8:30 AM Tuesday). Given the magnitude of the storm, we got off easy here.

Our sailing brothers farther north are still dealing with this bad girl. We pray that all will be well with them.

Here around the house, no visible damage. We didn't ever lose electric service. I love underground power lines! The number of power interruptions in the 21 years I have lived in this house can be counted on one hand, and most of those were just a couple of minutes. I'll see about the boat and the motorhome just as soon as I can get out and about.

UPDATE: Flooding has been minimal so far in the D.C. metro area. The marina reports that water was up near the top of the docks at my marina but did not inundate them, and it lost no trees. My boat was 20 feet above sea level on the hard and is undamaged. I visited my old motorhome yesterday and it was undamaged too.

Overall I consider this area (and myself) blessed. We really dodged a bullet. I pray for my sailing brethern farther north. Television specials show awful scenes in NY and NJ, towns that stick up out of the water, debris that is on fire, and sand is everywhere. The correspondent walked across a swimming pool, but it was no miracle. It had filled with sand.
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 10-31-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

One more high tide to deal with tonight. 2-4 ft above mlw. A few people lost head sails in White Rocks as they're furler s let go. Water over our docks at high tide this AM. Haleakula
Came through with flying colors.

Dave
jrd22, Faster, Sabreman and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-30-2012

Just got the word from White Rocks marina:
As of this morning all of the piers were under water. The tide is gradually going down. The electric and water has been turned off at all the piers. The water will remain off until the Spring. The electric will be turned back on when it is safe (after the tide goes back down and the piers dry out). Luckily none of the boats sank and none of the trees fell down.
Boy, am I glad I struck the sails and went on the hard!
Pasadena, MD
Old 10-30-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

I plan to go check on our boat in Deale, MD tomorrow, roads permitting. I figure we aren't done until after high tide tonight.

BTW, I'm in NoVA and didn't lose power either. I definitely think the underground lines are an advantage in most conditions.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 10-30-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road

Rode out the storm in Oxford, Md with no problems. Tide never rose above the docks, came close each time, probably will this evening.

I always wonder about people who don't remove head sails before a storm.....
Old 10-30-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

I stayed in the water and am having a bit of a hard time getting on and off the boat with the storm surge. But Tiki is stocked with food and drink for longer then any storm can last. Last night the rescue services launched a couple of their boats here to pull in a motor cruiser that had run out of gas and was having a bit of trouble staying put with the little anchor that it had on board. They managed to tow it in and put it here in the lift well. Did the rounds of the docks just now and one mainsail got out from under its sail vover and one bimini got turned into lace. Thats the sum total of the damage here in the Bohemia Marina.
Hoping for the best for the folks still out there
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 10-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Nearly 6 ft surge flooded the first row of parking spots. Maybe 2 or 3 more feet and the docks would have departed, although, we were on the hard anyway. More worried about wind blown debris in 50 kt wind. However, all is fine. No vessel damage. Prayers answered again.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-30-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Bumped around in my slip all night. No damage for me. A couple furling jibs let go last night, but were wrestled into place. We had chili in the clubhouse, which was surely welcome.

Anyone heard from Sailnet's adopted son?
Sabreman likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-30-2012

kjango is on a distinguished road

I rode it out in my slip at Cobb Island like I did for Irene. Just a stroll through the park. Most of the wind was bow on & she rode real nice. One self furling sail blown up in the other marina.