Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CarbonSink62

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Do you have enough quarters for the parking meter?

Tanker Run Aground by Superstorm | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do you have enough quarters for the parking meter?

It is so nice to see WABC, a national network with headquarters in NYC, reporting on a local NYC story, and doing it in fine Murdoch/Enquirer fashion.

". The city's waterfront was largely destroyed," Uh, no. There are no cities on Staten Island, as any local knows, there are only municipalities, towns, or villages. The entire borough ("county" in mainlander-speak) is a part of one City, NYC. And the NYC waterfront was not destroyed.

Neither was this damage caused by the storm. It was caused by a mooring failure, which is a human failure. There are normally far larger ships moored in that harbor, I'd bet on the gear belonging to the ship as being the problem.

Ah, ABC. Another fine Disney company. (Really, it is.)
Old 10-30-2012

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Quick! Start cleaning the hull! Think of the money saved on dry-dock!!

Amazing she can even be standing on the waterfront that was TOTALLY DESTROYED!

You don't have to be smart to be a tv news person, just good looking. A lot of hyperbole helps, too.
Old 10-31-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Our local reporter talked about the boats that Sandy 'tossed onto shore'.

um, no. The water level rose, the boats rose with the water, floated somewhere else and settled there when the water level fell.

At no point were they airborne.

Ken
sww914 likes this.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Aw, come on Ken. Anyone who has seen The Wizard of Oz knows how storms pick up cows and toss them in trees, why not boats? (VBG)

The hard part is trying to figure out who's a "reporter" and who's a flying monkey.
Old 10-31-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Never let the facts get in the way of a story!
The stuff we get now isn't even news anymore. It's just bad entertainment. Glad I can't receive broadcast TV. I just download the TV shows I want without commercials.
Now that we don't have any commercials my kid is happier and doesn't even know what he wants for Christmas instead a of a huge list growing for 3 months a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

The Weather Channel is the absolute worst of them all. They live for hurricanes. Notice that whenever a hurricane is in the Atlantic, they show the satellite image of the cloud mass to make it look like the entire east coast of the United States is about to be wiped off the map. Back when my mother still lived up north, she'd call me in a panic telling me how she was watching the Weather Channel and Florida was about to wiped out altogether. I'd calmly tell her that I was still watching TV and that we were on the west side of the eye and might get rain.

Not to sound uncaring or that I am making light of Sandy, because people have lost their lives, but Sandy is no storm of the century. It's bad for a Cat 1. What makes it so devastating is that it is hitting a huge population center that is not geared for hurricanes.

Does anybody remember Dan Rather pretending that he was being blown off his feet by gale force winds, and in the background were people in shorts and flip flops standing there?
Old 10-31-2012
Plausible Deniability

Sandy was what, 800 miles wide? 500? Depending on where you measured the string...it just had to impact some places that weren't prepared. But even in the places that have paid some attention to hurricane prep, there were and are limits.

For instance NYC, where the entire storm shelter/evacuation system was actually scrubbed and extensively overhauled about 3 years ago, and revised again after the shortcomings from Irene last year. There's just no way to water-proof the subway and underground infrastructures, or to elevate the airports. A lot of money has been spent on low-profile programs, but the really big stuff? The folks in charge know that no one is willing to pay the bills. And if you show the voters what it would cost, they'll vote for a bucket and sponge and cleaning up afterwards every time. (shrug)
Old 10-31-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Exactly right.

I don't know how on earth anyone could hurricane-proof NYC. There is more going on under the street than there is above ground in any other city in America. When the water rolls in there's no stopping it from filling that up. New Orleans has less going on below sea level than NYC does, and all of New Orleans is below sea level.

My heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by Sandy, but any storm of any name would have done the same, or worse, coming ashore in that region.