Advice for moving my sailboat from Texas to Virginia - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012

Nodak7 is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice for moving my sailboat from Texas to Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony covert View Post
Hello all,

I'm moving my 36' sailboat from Houston Texas to Dahlgren Virginia in February, 2013. I've received several quotes via U-ship for 4,500-5,000. I have never had to ship a boat before so I'm looking for any advice before I dedicate to one of the bidders. Are there any hidden costs that I should anticipate? Any recommendations for boat movers? Has anyone move a similar sized boat with similar pick up and delivery locations that would be willing to share their experiences and how much they paid?

The boat is on private property so I will have to get a crane as well. Does anyone one know what a reasonable price for a crane will be or have any recommendations for a particular crane company?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tony, we shipped our boat from Michigan to ND and another from ND to Minnesota using the same shipper. We tried U-Ship and was not successful. Finally we spoke with a couple of Brokers who gave us some good leads on who to use. The one issue we did have was the Yard workers in Michigan were very slow about loading the boat and subsequently the driver had a significant delay. This effected the timing of the delivery. We did get through it though. Be careful on timeing of your delivery because it will cost you big time quick if it is delayed. The one item that I would stress is make sure your mast is wrapped and protected. We used the thin insulation they put between the frame and foundation of a house wrapped with that cellophane wrap. Worked good. Also make very sure that everything in the boat is tied down and cannot get loose.
Good luck to you!

Last edited by Nodak7; 11-01-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
crane , dahlgren , movers , moving , shipping