Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Darwin awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Never been through a hurricane hu Az?
Plenty, grew up in Boston I've lived through blizzards 1978, Hurricans, earthquakes 1994 Northridge, CA.....

Last edited by Faster; 10-31-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

If storm predictions were 100% accurate then some people might be able to make a case for staying aboard. Till then, you are simply foolish to do so. You may have survived but I would not trust your judgement on anything.
I have a friend who stayed aboard thru Dennis as it was supposed to miss us and there was no prediction of any surge. Once the "unexpected" surge began, he couldnt get back to shore and it rose so rapidly he couldnt even walk the dock to his boat. He spent the night atop the bait shack in TS force winds with alligator and snake filled water inches below him.
Oh, it's your "home", not impressed. Get your photo albums and get out before somebody puts their life at risk to rescue you.
If you stayed aboard then sell the boat NOW before you endanger somebody else.
Old 10-31-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Bubblehead,

They can't predict the direction of travel of a hurricane that precisely. Heck, it took them weeks after Katrina to figure out where it actually made landfall (about 40 miles from where it was projected). Betting your life on the accuracy of weather forecasters, who will tell you themselves "we don't kow, this is just the average of the model forecasts" is a pretty poor bet.

And don't forget that next year our ability to predict hurricane paths is going to get substantially worse. Since Congress hasn't funded new satellites, and the ones we are using now are about to fall out of the sky.
Yes, of course you are correct but hurricanes move slowly enough, that if Sandy had suddenly turned south, and given me a different scenario, I still would have had plenty of time to simply walk away, and rent a hotel inland.

It's not a tornado.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-31-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Yes, of course you are correct but hurricanes move slowly enough, that if Sandy had suddenly turned south, and given me a different scenario, I still would have had plenty of time to simply walk away, and rent a hotel inland.

It's not a tornado.

And go where? Typically roads get blocked off, or are impassable with traffic a day or more before a storm gets to you, in some cases days before. At which time it may be too late to do anything but stay where you are.

If as you suggest where you were wouldn't be that bad, then what do you need to stay for? If it does come for you, then there is nothing you can do anyway. Either way either you being on the boat serves no purpose, but potentially puts your life in danger.

So why would you stay? What possible gain is there from being out there? I can't see any, but I have had to put my life in danger to save people like you who thought they should be there... Just once I would like have a good justification for doing so, other than it was my job to save people who were too stupid to save themselves.
Old 10-31-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I propose we give the sailing Darwin Awards to everybody who stayed on their boats thru Sandy ( I mean those in Sandy's zone of damage). If you stay aboard, nobody thinks you are brave, we think you're a moron. You endanger your life, you endanger any rescuers and you make sailors in general look foolish.

PROPER HURRICANE PREP FOR SAILORS

A. Check status of your insurance policy
B. Go tie your boat down EARLY and prep it.
C. Get outta Dodge.
D. Wait a week to check on your boats status so you don't add to the confusion. It's only a boat.
I have no problem of others stay on their boat or stay in their house by the beach as long as they don't call 911 for recuse. Why would the society or you care? I am just sayin'
wingNwing likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-31-2012

propellanttech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just once I would like have a good justification for doing so, other than it was my job to save people who were too stupid to save themselves.
Wow, please...if that is your way of thinking, for the love of all, GET A DIFFERENT JOB!!!!.

A responder has no place to judge the rescuee. They judge the situation for their own safety, but should never judge another human for any situation they may or may not have done themselves.

James L
wingNwing likes this.
Old 10-31-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Lol ya right. Every responder wonders about what led them to be there. What I never did was allow that to change how I responded. I always did the very best for as many people as I could, and I would again. But that doesn't change the fact that many or most of those people, had they used a little common sence wouldn't have needed rescuing in the first place.
Old 10-31-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I have some cousins who stayed in their little " houses" out in Far Rockaway/Breezy Point. Although they didn't win the Darwin Award, they were close, real close. They definitely were nominated, just lucky. Pretty stupid when you looked at the satellite images. I mean it looked like something from a horror movie!
Old 10-31-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Lol ya right. Every responder wonders about what led them to be there. What I never did was allow that to change how I responded. I always did the very best for as many people as I could, and I would again. But that doesn't change the fact that many or most of those people, had they used a little common sence wouldn't have needed rescuing in the first place.
Whatever happens, don't come out to get me. I'm done explaining it.

I grew up in SW Florida amidst tropical storms and hurricanes. I have 20 years in the US Navy, on a variety of vessels. I know when to stay, and when to leave. That's all I have to say on the matter.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-31-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Even intelligent people sometimes make the wrong decision, those of us not blessed with unfailing foresight more so.

Yes it can be said of those who in mandatory evacuation areas did not evacuate that they were less than clever but where pray tell is the line drawn ? At what point do we pass from being worthy of rescue to useless bastard deserved to die ?

Dismissing those who make mistakes as being unworthy is imho the mark of the unworthy. Its a nasty attitude indeed.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.