Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Sailing Darwin awards

I propose we give the sailing Darwin Awards to everybody who stayed on their boats thru Sandy ( I mean those in Sandy's zone of damage). If you stay aboard, nobody thinks you are brave, we think you're a moron. You endanger your life, you endanger any rescuers and you make sailors in general look foolish.

PROPER HURRICANE PREP FOR SAILORS

A. Check status of your insurance policy
B. Go tie your boat down EARLY and prep it.
C. Get outta Dodge.
D. Wait a week to check on your boats status so you don't add to the confusion. It's only a boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Darwin awards

Cant, not all that stay aboard die, and you must DIE to get said award. Cheers

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

"Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding."
Bob Perry

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 10-31-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

seems harsh....I would ahve stayed on the boat, if you were well prepared it does sem anymore dangerious than staying in some of the houses I saw destroyed.

At least on the boat you could re-tighten lines and control your own fate.

IMHO
Old 10-31-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

The houses were evacuated (if not, they are eligible for the Sandy Darwin awards).
If somebody is foolish enough to stay aboard thru Sandy, then I do not consider their thoughts on any topic to be worthy of consideration.
Old 10-31-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Never been through a hurricane hu Az? You can't do anything to retie during, or you will loose control of the lines and wind up worse than you were.

Between storm surge, and wave action it's a fair bet that your break water will be under water. With whitecaps rolling into the marina unaffected by any protection you might think you have. Not to mention wind speeds strong enough that even standing upright outside is nearly impossible. At wind speeds in excess of 100mph just the wind can lift you off your feet and throw you around, the force on dock lines is incredible, and even if you can get the released, keeping control of them and the boat will be next to impossible.
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 10-31-2012

sd1953 is on a distinguished road

I did volunteer hurricane relief work in Florida in 2004 after three of the storms. Spoke to folks who stayed when Charley came ashore... (he was Cat 4) to a man they said, "Never Again!! I'll be the first one out!" But note that they did live through it. A number of folks always stay. Belief they can "protect" their homes/possessions or fear of never seeing it all again, I don't know what motivates them.
But if the surge is not going to be too bad where your boat is, staying is not as insane as it sounds afterwards. (Note, it is a little insane.) But wanting to protect our things is a pretty strong motivation. Having been on the ground where the eye of a Cat 4 storm passed, I would evacuate. But I did weather Hurricane Erin in 1995 on a boat in West End GBI. The eye passed directly over us... surreal for the wind to stop like that. Would not do it again willingly, but do not feel like I am eligible for a Darwin Award. LOL
(By the way, we drank rum, which made everything all better.)
Old 10-31-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I propose we give the sailing Darwin Awards to everybody who stayed on their boats thru Sandy ( I mean those in Sandy's zone of damage). If you stay aboard, nobody thinks you are brave, we think you're a moron. You endanger your life, you endanger any rescuers and you make sailors in general look foolish.

PROPER HURRICANE PREP FOR SAILORS

A. Check status of your insurance policy
B. Go tie your boat down EARLY and prep it.
C. Get outta Dodge.
D. Wait a week to check on your boats status so you don't add to the confusion. It's only a boat.
There are so many variables here, that for you to make such a blanket statement makes me consider the possibility that you are merely trolling for reaction.

1. For some people, the boat is our home, and we don't abandon them lightly.
2. Individual levels of experience vary greatly. Some people have no business riding out a storm on a boat, and some people are well equipped to do so.
3. The vessels themselves vary greatly. Some are equipped to ride out storms, and some are not.
4. There is a risk vs. gain formula to be considered. After a certain level of risk, I am prepared to abandon the boat vs. the liklihood of saving it. (this is pre-storm, not during)

Example:

I know that a hurricane that comes up on the EAST side of the Chesapeake Bay, will push water OUT of the Bay due to the northerly winds, so that all I need to contend with is the wind intensity. I am in a hurricane hole, sheltered on 3 sides by tall bluffs. I can choose to stay in my slip, transfer to a mooring, or anchor as suits the conditions.

If the storm comes up to the WEST of the Bay, then I will have to contend with a large tidal surge, and the entire equation changes. I will evaluate the storm speed, intensity, etc. I will prepare the boat as best I can, strip her down, and leave her to her fate.

As you can see, the thought process isn't nearly as simple as you make out.

Then again, since I rode out the storm, my words hold no credibility and are not worthy of consideration.
jrd22, dkbiby, Faster and 6 others like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-31-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1953 View Post
Spoke to folks who stayed when Charley came ashore... (he was Cat 4) to a man they said, "Never Again!! I'll be the first one out!"
I have yet to hear anyone who survived a serious storm by deciding to ride it out say they would do it again. That alone should be enough to compel anyone who is predicted to be in harms way to leave. But there are always those who believe there's something special about them that enables them to fend off the onslaught of Mother Nature.
Old 10-31-2012

I have been through three major storms, all three as a first responder in some fashion. Staying is just stupid. There is not a thing you can do to protect yourself or your property during a major hurricane. The best you can do is be there first to pick up the pieces, and of course put yourself and others in danger.

The wreckage will be there when you get back, if your stuff wasn't damaged well, all the better for you. But I know what it's like to look at a kid and tell them that thier parents are dead because they stayed to 'protect their stuff'. I guess they valued protecting their tv more than being there to protect their kids.

Sorry, if you stay during a major storm, you are putting yourself, and all first responders lives at risk, for what? A boat that is insured, a house that is insured, contents that are insured. So figure if you lost everything you would be out a few thousand dollars in insurance deductibles, so what when the option is risking your life.

My total losses from Katrina:

1) an Irwin 54
2) a Tripp 40
3) a J-22
4) 3 family cars
5) 4 family houses flooded

Net loss in financial terms... Well when we figured it up, we had something like 2.5 million dollars destroyed in the family (extended family too, say about 15 people). All of this property was a total loss, or severely damaged. Our net insurance procedes came to just about 2.4 million. So ya we lost a little. But I feel like even with my entire families stuff wiped out, we did better than that little girl who lost both her parents... Of course they were able to save... Well nothing really they drowned when the water topped their roof.
JulieMor likes this.
Old 10-31-2012

Bubblehead,

They can't predict the direction of travel of a hurricane that precisely. Heck, it took them weeks after Katrina to figure out where it actually made landfall (about 40 miles from where it was projected). Betting your life on the accuracy of weather forecasters, who will tell you themselves "we don't kow, this is just the average of the model forecasts" is a pretty poor bet.

And don't forget that next year our ability to predict hurricane paths is going to get substantially worse. Since Congress hasn't funded new satellites, and the ones we are using now are about to fall out of the sky.