Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By killarney_sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Yacht club hospitality

We are staying at the Zulu Land Yacht Club in Richards Bay, South Africa for the next month so we go visit the lions et al, do some boat chores, and wait for the full onset of summer to go around the corner to Cape Town. Just wanted to mention the remarkable friendliness of the folks here. First two weeks dockage are free and they give all international boats a bottle of local champagne and a burgee. They want you to fly the burgee as you go west since you are now a temporary member of the club by staying here. I wanted to buy a second burgee since we display them at our club in Canada and they will give me one instead and only ask that I send them one from home.

At one time not many cruisers went around the Cape of Good Hope, but with the pirate situation the numbers have gone up dramatically - probably more than a hundred this year and Richards Bay is the popular landfall in South Africa so it has been more of a burden on this club but they maintain the tradition. Good people and their welcome and generosity should be complimented.
Old 11-01-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Yacht club hospitality

Good news! Great to hear you got there safe and sound and glad to hear they've rolled out the red carpet..

I've always thought of South Africa as being a nice place to visit, with nice friendly people, and lots to see and do - if you don't mind getting shot. Just be careful where you go.
Old 11-02-2012

galaboat is on a distinguished road
Yacht club hospitality

Yeah, good place! Make sure you book space in False Bay Yachtclub, Royal Cape or Hout Bay before you leave, limited space there with all those boats coming in! I can recommend False Bay as friendly and safe! Be well!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook