Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012

juggleandhope is on a distinguished road
Do you think its safe to go back into the water?

now that sandy has worked its way past us in nyc - does anyone have a thought abt how many days we should wait before going sailing again? i'm imagining that there are some trees, ripped docks, etc floating in the harbor and jamaica bay and ocean - anyone have any experience with how long to wait til that stuff makes it's way ashore?

also, curious about what to do with all the kayaks and dinghys that got free. i imagine the sailboats will be claimed (a big one came up on the lawn of the yacht club next to ours and a neighbor's pretty one is currently 5 meters in the air hanging on what remains of a dock) but what about little boats that don't seem to have ID? is there a central place to register "lost and found" for little boats or does it have to be via word-of-mouth or craigslist?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Do you think its safe to go back into the water?

It kind of depends on what the typical "flush" time is for your area.

For example, it takes approximately 250-something days for the Chesapeake Bay to exchange most of it's water.

All I can say is, if you venture out, try not to go alone, and have someone keep a sharp lookout for objects in the water. Make sure you can access your raw water strainer in case you suck up something nasty that clogs your raw water intake.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-01-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Never came out here in Maine.. I will be bending the head sail back on this Saturday for some good November sailing. You may want to be sure your mooring and or dock is safe. There will be debris for a while so just be careful..

Probably won't put the main back on but our boat but she sails very well with just the genny, and its good enough for late season sailing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-01-2012

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

I went out last year the weekend after Irene hit (the Oriental NC area took a direct hit). There was a lot of debris (large and small) in the water, and quite a few navigational markers were missing. (I don't use a chartplotter so the missing marks caught me by surprise)

Most of the debris floats just at the water, barely visible. As you guessed, plenty of trees, dock fragments, refrigerators, etc. Some of it out in the middle of nowhere.

We were out for 3 days and on the way back the CG was out replacing marks.

FWIW If I were in the damage zone I'd wait till things settle down. It was a bit nerve wracking sailing in that mess.
Old 11-01-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

Just from looking at the pictures and seeing some houses just blown into the water, I would think there would be plenty of hazzards for quite some time and I bet some of them are on the large side....

I would be careful and prudent until you guys have some very high tides in order to get some of that floating debris ashore...
Old 11-01-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Ditto on watching out for debris. A floating piling can ruin your day, not to mention things that get tangled in props. I would imagine that there will be large amounts of flotsam all through the Mass, RI, NY, NJ, Del., Chesapeake areas and offshore. Debris in and around marinas and docks will also be a problem. This storm must have sent massive amounts of debris out to sea and down rivers.