Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Floated off the stands

I was there right after the storm, already posted the pics on another thread. Remarkably few of the boats looked like they had any serious damage, other than scratches and a few tangled rigs/broken spreaders. Not sure whether there might be damage just from the weight of the hull on its side, but it looks like these boats all more or less floated gently down to their resting spots after playing a little bumper cars with each other and some trees...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I hope there is little damage to your boat. How were the boats that were in the slips? did they fair any better? I am considering Liberty Landing, if I start working in the city.
Old 11-02-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

So you might have a couple hundred thousand tied up in your boat. You have 4 or 5 days warning that the hurricane of the century might be coming, and you throw you hands up and say "Oh well!? I'll bet your house is underwater ($ not H20) and that is somebody else's fault too.

My boat is the hole in the water from hell, it's been on hte hard for the past 4 years as I fix one disaster after another with it. I am barely keeping up with the normal deterioration. Plenty of days when a Sawzall and a dumpster makes more sense than working on it. I have liability insurance, but no coverage on the boat itself. In it's current state they'd total it for sure and give me a couple hundred bucks at best.

That doesn't mean I don't worry about my boat floating into your mega yacht and holing it. Nor does it mean I want to lose the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars I've invested, even though you can't see that looking at her.

So this past Saturday my 8 year grandson tied her down properly. Four big screw anchors into the ground and 3" nylon straps over the boat. A line from the stern cleat to a post in the ground as well. It held, despite the pile of other boats stacked up against her.

Of course they are lucky too. I don't see any damage to my boat, and I have before and after pictures. So if your boat damaged my boat because you said "Oh Well" then my lawyer is going to earn his keep even if you don't have insurance like I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Floated off the stands-simg_0185.jpg   Floated off the stands-sdsc00475.jpg  
bdr likes this.
Old 11-02-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
So you might have a couple hundred thousand tied up in your boat. You have 4 or 5 days warning that the hurricane of the century might be coming, and you throw you hands up and say "Oh well!? I'll bet your house is underwater ($ not H20) and that is somebody else's fault too.

My boat is the hole in the water from hell, it's been on hte hard for the past 4 years as I fix one disaster after another with it. I am barely keeping up with the normal deterioration. Plenty of days when a Sawzall and a dumpster makes more sense than working on it. I have liability insurance, but no coverage on the boat itself. In it's current state they'd total it for sure and give me a couple hundred bucks at best.

That doesn't mean I don't worry about my boat floating into your mega yacht and holing it. Nor does it mean I want to lose the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars I've invested, even though you can't see that looking at her.

So this past Saturday my 8 year grandson tied her down properly. Four big screw anchors into the ground and 3" nylon straps over the boat. A line from the stern cleat to a post in the ground as well. It held, despite the pile of other boats stacked up against her.

Of course they are lucky too. I don't see any damage to my boat, and I have before and after pictures. So if your boat damaged my boat because you said "Oh Well" then my lawyer is going to earn his keep even if you don't have insurance like I do.
Huh? Where is this coming from? When did he say he has a couple hundred thousand tied up in his boat... or call it a mega yacht? And you had an 8 year old putting anchor bolts into the ground and tying your boat down?

I'm confused.
peterchech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2012

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road

I was thinking about the idea of anchoring the boat, but it seems the lift generated by the boyancy would tear anything you put in the ground out very quickly.
My next idea was stand craddles that simply float with the boat... those could more easily be anchored to not drift (they would not have to fight boyancy)
I think it might be a niche in the market going forward...
Old 11-03-2012

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road

Oh and the Marina was strongly recommending putting the boat on the dry for the storm.
I guess I could have noticed myself that the yard was all of 5 feet higher than the water line.
Old 11-03-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Just what do you do when the water climbs higher than your tie downs allow...

either the anchors pull or the boat stays under...either way you are no better off than the OP...

Just luckier
Old 11-03-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
Huh? Where is this coming from? When did he say he has a couple hundred thousand tied up in his boat... or call it a mega yacht? And you had an 8 year old putting anchor bolts into the ground and tying your boat down?

I'm confused.
Reread the post. That is not what he said.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I was in NOLA rebuilding after Katrian came through. We had many pieces of equipment that float and then sat down. Damage depended on what they landed on from zero to severe. A near by marina had a lot of boats floated. Again, it just depended on where they came to rest. Some were simply placed back on stands. But the weight alone? If that did anything serious to the hull it strikes me as rather thin.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 11-03-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Reread the post. That is not what he said.
Yes he did:

Quote:
So you might have a couple hundred thousand tied up in your boat. You have 4 or 5 days warning that the hurricane of the century might be coming, and you throw you hands up and say "Oh well!?

That doesn't mean I don't worry about my boat floating into your mega yacht and holing it.

So this past Saturday my 8 year grandson tied her down properly.

So if your boat damaged my boat because you said "Oh Well" then my lawyer is going to earn his keep even if you don't have insurance like I do.
The OP said his boat was worth $18,000... not $180,000. He's also the only one who said the words "oh well" up to that point.

I'm sure the "8 year grandson was a typo"... but I just don't think it's fair to jump on the OP with that aggressive of an attitude especially when prior to the storm everyone was advising and being advised to put the boats on the hard. And I doubt you're going to be able to argue with the marina about how high they jack up your boat when they are trying to put as many as they can on the hard. And then offer the solutions of a tied down that works under a narrow set of conditions that just happened to be reached by the surge in his area.

In truth, I like the idea. Hell, given similar conditions I'd adopt a similar idea... with some changes. Instead of tying down tight, I'd have the tie downs act more as anchors... give me 5 or 10 feet of movement do the boat can lift. Then use a cradle I can secure to the boat so it rides with her as she rises, and acts as a foot. In leu of a cradle, I'd probably try something ridiculous like glueing the stands to my hull, using ridged material clamped to the stands in order to form a home made cradle. Sure... it might not work, but my years of construction and architecture make me think I could give it a hell of a shot.