Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Re: Floated off the stands

I want to believe that unless the boat was subject to flooding or pounding surf, damage will be slight. There are numerous boats which have broken free and been deposited on lawns etc. For the most part they dont seem to badly damaged. Sailboats seem to fare slightly better than powerboats. My boat is in Sea Bright, the National Guard is preventing anyone from entering the town. I know Atlantic Highlands marina will not let anyone in. There are a couple of marinas you can see from the Garden State Parkway, some boats are scattered, but a relatively small proportion. Most of the masts seem to be standing straight. Of course that's driving by at 70 MPH. I'm guessing it will be worse than you hoped, better than you feared. There are a lot of us sweating it out. I would have preferrred to keep the boat moored, but the club I am at closed for the season and ordered me off. I winter at the same Marina every year, and they have always been good to me. Given the storm surge it would have been dicey either way.
My family and house are safe, although we are still without power. Seeing what some folks have suffered, I am too grateful for what has survived to get crazy over what May not have. In a less than perfect world you make less than perfect decisions. Good luck and don't loose hope.
L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We alkways stay at the moorings behind the breakwater at Atlantic Highlands and have reciprocity with the YC there. Very nice club. Hope your boat and the club sustained minimal damage as you are right in the worst area of devastation.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-04-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

Thanks Dave. There are 15 families living in our church because they lost their homes. In one sense I feel foolish even worrying about it when that is going on. A good friend has his boat at AHMH. Neither of us could get in, but the rumors are not good. I am lucky that I have a house to worry in.
Sorta glad I don't have a generator. Somehow it is easier to be angry at JCPL than to be worried about running out of gas for the generator.
Some scary pictures on the web!
Lou
Old 11-04-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
So you might have a couple hundred thousand tied up in your boat. You have 4 or 5 days warning that the hurricane of the century might be coming, and you throw you hands up and say "Oh well!? I'll bet your house is underwater ($ not H20) and that is somebody else's fault too.

My boat is the hole in the water from hell, it's been on hte hard for the past 4 years as I fix one disaster after another with it. I am barely keeping up with the normal deterioration. Plenty of days when a Sawzall and a dumpster makes more sense than working on it. I have liability insurance, but no coverage on the boat itself. In it's current state they'd total it for sure and give me a couple hundred bucks at best.

That doesn't mean I don't worry about my boat floating into your mega yacht and holing it. Nor does it mean I want to lose the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars I've invested, even though you can't see that looking at her.

So this past Saturday my 8 year grandson tied her down properly. Four big screw anchors into the ground and 3" nylon straps over the boat. A line from the stern cleat to a post in the ground as well. It held, despite the pile of other boats stacked up against her.

Of course they are lucky too. I don't see any damage to my boat, and I have before and after pictures. So if your boat damaged my boat because you said "Oh Well" then my lawyer is going to earn his keep even if you don't have insurance like I do.
Quote:
I see I mis-typed. Left out "and I" after grandson.

My reference to couple of hundred thousand was not about the OPs boat, it was about the pile of boats around mine, some that certainly cost that much.

My straps and anchors were sized to hold the boat down even if the water reached the cockpit and flooded her. If it got that deep and she floated and left town it would have been a total loss. Tied down this way might have gotten the boat flooded, but that would be quick to drain out.

Tall cradles along with anchors and tie down straps are a great idea. My boat is under repair with the keel off, so some options were not available at the time.

There is nothing you can do that will absolutely guarantee that your boat won't be damaged. Look at the pictures from the storm. How many boats can you count that would not be damaged if they had simply been tied down? You can't, because there are just too many to count! How many didn't move and were smashed to bits? I'd bet that is just a handful. So for the $200 I spent on anchors and straps we could have saved maybe 98% of the boats in the photos?

Gary H. Lucas
Quote:
Andreas,
I see you thought I was aiming a dig at you. I assure that was not my intent. You'll notice I use my real name, and if you google me you'll find that I've been on the Internet a very long time, and don't ever attack people, or engage in flaming people. I always try to help, not hurt.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Gary H. Lucas
I think the bottom line is that you should have started your own thread. Any comments in a thread should be related to either the OP or comments in the thread. It can be miss construed when you post unrelated things in a post. Even worse when it is obviously a rant as it appears to be aimed at the OP without clear description otherwise.

Good to see your boat survived with what can be seen as little damage. I know they normally strap down boats in the islands, and sometimes even dig holes for the keel (kind of like how your keel was removed) to reduce the free board that is exposed to the wind. I have always thought the stands look precarious in good weather conditions, and boy standing on the deck of a fairly deep draft boat can sure look high when looking down!

I find it interesting that it is almost universal that insurance companies are recommending hulling out, but seems that it is not really the best way to reduce damage.
Old 11-04-2012

Just found a couple of pics of my boat on Flicker from post storm!! She is on stands and doesn't look too bad. Can only see the port side, but I am a happy guy right now! She may have toppled and been reset, but at least in one piece! Keep the faith!
Lou
Old 11-04-2012

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road

Gary H. Lucas
Ok I understand, thanks for explaining.
Old 11-06-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

any update OP ??
Old 11-06-2012

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road

I got some pics of the Boat today
looks like there are some significant scratches on the side where it rested.
There is no indication on the interior so far but I imagine its a bit of a mess.
I have the pics but I don't know how to put them on here... sorry.
I will probably be able to look at the boat by Friday and see how bad the interior is.
If the interior was flooded it could still be quite bad.
more as I get it
A
Old 11-06-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Hoping for the best for you.
Old 11-06-2012

2d Wind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
Just found a couple of pics of my boat on Flicker from post storm!! She is on stands and doesn't look too bad. Can only see the port side, but I am a happy guy right now! She may have toppled and been reset, but at least in one piece! Keep the faith!
Lou
Hi,

Would you mind posting a link to the photos you found? Our boat is in Sea Bright too and best guess is that it floated off stands. We think we located it near the Waterways town homes, but have been scouring internet for more information.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.