Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Floated off the stands

Frightening just frightening. Looks like the stone and concrete seawall offered some protection if only for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2012

2d Wind is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.

Keeping fingers crossed for all that will be safe and dry during this new storm, and that it doesn't make situation worse.

Old 11-07-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
Looked at a boat that was knocked off its stands in Wilma. There was structural damage and clear water damage. The structural damage was repaired, the water damage was evident on the interior wood.

I am having a hard time envisioning the concept of a "soft" landing as the water would have been churning leading to slamming on the hard. Not good.

With an 11' surge, I can't image how tie downs would hold but am sure interested in hearing if they did. Even anchored, once floated it would seem the stands would get washed out.
A lot of areas seemed to have a relatively smooth surge, if that is possible. I think it was because they were somewhat protected by sea walls and the like from the waves and the water kind of just flowed in more like an extra high tide rather than a 11 foot wall of water.
Old 11-07-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Floated off the stands

Don't mean to hijack Andreas' thread.
Andreas, looking at the pics, I'm pretty sure that will rub out, but your arm will be really tired! That is a beautiful boat. Hopefully we can raft up next season.
Sea Bright is traditionally a beach community, so summer cottages and beach clubs, not Hurricane proof fortresses. In the last 150 years, Sandy Hook has been an island more than once, with the Navesink opening to the ocean pretty much through Sea Bright. They are electronic "newspaper" photos, and I'm guesing buildings NOT damaged are not dramatic. So no pics of your house or boat is a good thing! The Sea Wall was breached, at least according to rumor. But every town on the water got creamed, IMHO from surf more than wind.
Lou
Old 11-14-2012

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road

She's Dead Jim...

Unfortunately the insurance adjuster took one look at the fact that my engine got wet and called the boat an entire write off.

On an emotional level it is very sad as I was attached to this boat.

On a practical level its actually helpful because I was already in the process of buying a bigger boat and was trying to decide what to do with this one.

I am putting the salvage boat up for sale, it would cost around $2000.

I put a listing in the sales section of the Sailnet.

The inspector made no effort to see if the engine still runs and there is no surface corrosion. I have no idea what that means.

thanks for the support everyone

Andreas
Old 11-14-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Andreas, what is the boat, an Aloa something? What was the appraised or insured valued beforehand?

From your first pictures I can see one problem, a complete hull repaint would be needed, a fast $5-10,000. Now if the engine was submerged, another fast $3000? to repair it or $10,000 to replace it. Plus replacing all electricals in the boat if the engine indicates water was in the boat.

A little fast math, versus insured value, and if the company totals at 50% or even 75% ? Sometimes the math is wrong but given the cost of any kind of hull painting plus any kind of total engine overhaul, I can see it, without even trying to itemize other problems.

No surface corrosion would just mean no obvious signs of rust on the outside of the engine.

Once an engine has been submerged AND allowed to dry out slowly, it has to be totally torn down to be rebuilt. There will be rust and salt crystals all through it.

Sometimes, it is feasible to buy the salvage rights and fix the boat. Someone out there may very well decide that for two grand, they can live with a DIY paint job on the hull and swapping out the engine themselves, and for that the boat could be a bargain. Although, there may be a glut of storm-damaged boats on the market right now.
Old 11-14-2012

The boat is a 1973 Aloa 34.
If there is someone out there who is interested in doing his own work it might well be worth it.
Shrug.
I had already decided to buy a new larger boat so on a financial level its a win, on an emotional level its very sad.
Old 11-14-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Bummer.

Simple question - if it's a write off, why are YOU selling it instead of them?
Old 11-14-2012

Well they are going to tell me the salvage value.
I can then decide to just take that money from them, in which case they keep the boat.
Or I can try to find someone to might be willing to pay the same amount or more.
I have a couple of days to do this. At that point the insurance company will need a decision. I am really just doing it on the off chance the boat won't get trashed. Cause you know that all the insurance company will do with it.

HelloSailor: what would happen if you just try to start the engine now? assuming it has a clean fuel supply? What do the salt crystals do?
Old 11-14-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Your engine has become a mooring block, one big hunk of rusting steel. At the most you have hours in the low hundreds if not less before it is locked up and dead. That's best case.

If you have a lot, and I mean a LOT of upgraded stuff like winches and other high price items it might make sense to salvage, or a buyer lined up of course. Otherwise you are paying storage, then possibly cut up and haul away fees.

Consider your choices carefully, from the wallet, not the heart.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.