Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Re: Floated off the stands

Sorry to hear that! They've opened Sea Bright and I am going down this morning to see how the Mariner did. Given the number of boats damaged, almost all of them, I suspect the insurance companies will be quick to "total" a lot of boats, especially older boats. Write a check and be done or be on the hook for months or years and involved in complicated repairs on boats with limited resale because they are too old to get financing? Seems like a no brainer to me. There will be thousands of salvaged boats from NY and NJ. Andreas, glad you have another boat in the works!
Lou

Last edited by lillia28; 11-15-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Andreus,
I am so sorry to hear about your Aloa 34'. There are many low lying boat yards that were overcome by the storm surge where boats got knocked over so you are by no means in this alone.
I know that you worked hard to get the old Farymann diesel sorted out by having a new exhaust manifold fabricated. The problem with Farymann engines is getting replacement parts as you found out. When you look for your next boat I'd urge you to avoid boats with Farymann engines in them. I'd avoid Volvos too; while there are parts available they are very expensive.
My boat was "totaled" by insurance once but I could not live with the idea that I'd killed my boat, so I bought it back from them and took the remaining insurance money and fixed her up again.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

Well back from the marina. The boat was floated into a pile with 32 other boats.
The bow pulpit, and all the lifeline stanchions on the starboard side are bent to 90 degrees, the starboard teak handrail is gone, there is a deep hole between the windows and much of the teak trim is broken, the starboard stern pushpit is bent to 45 degrees. More importantly, the rudder looks bent to the right, and it looks like the outboard was flooded. I didn't place a high insurance $ value on the boat, so I am afraid they will total it. Plus there is a salvage claim against it. I swore I wouldn't let it bother me, but it does.
Lou

Last edited by lillia28; 11-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Very sorry to hear about your boat.

I assume water entered the interior, when she began to layover and water came over the gunnel due to the extreme heel angle?

Makes me wonder if that is commonly the case with all the beached boats we've seen over the years. I'm glad to think I don't know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-15-2012

I'm not sure exactly what happened. The cabin remained pretty dry. Seems more like a boat landed on the starboard side, all the stanchions are bent forward. seems like most collision damage. The engine looks flooded, no battery power at the moment, and the bottom of the rudder is about 2 inches further to the right than the top. The flooding was about 6 feet above ground level, and apparently 32 boats got swept into a big pile between buildings. I can't really tell if the mast is straight.
Re flooding: in this case once the storm surge went down, it did not come up nearly as high again. On a "normal" grounding I tend to agree with you, but happily have no direct experience. There are boats high and dry all over the area, in places that seem to be well above sea level. A lot of floating docks went over the tops of pilings, which are 15 feet high?
Lou
Old 12-20-2012

bruceyp is on a distinguished road

I am reviving this thread because I too had a boat in Sea Bright, NJ and she also floated off her stands. I'll say right off that my wife and I (not to mention my granddaughter) love this boat.
As luck would have it, when we hauled 3 weeks before the storm, I decided to take the mast down to check the rigging the furler etc. When the storm surge floated her off her stands the Hannah Lee looks to have floated in a circle bumped into a building and was then surrounded by 3 other boats. I was able to get to her a few weeks ago and found her scratched moderately but generally in good condition. The worst wear was under her bow where she must have been chafing on another boat, but even this is pretty cosmetic. There was no evidence of any water inside. The rudder turns stop to stop without a hitch. The keel has it's same old C&C smile but no other damage. The prop and shaft are intact and run true. I have started and winterized the engine with no problem. The mast on the other hand was under water and the head stay looks un-wound on the top near the fitting that is swaged on. The furler also was under water.
I thought that this was really good news until yesterday when the surveyor called and hinted that the repaint job alone could exceed their value for the boat. He hasn't finished the paperwork so the exact numbers aren't available yet.
So here are my questions:
If they "total " the boat, is their "buy back" price negotiable? Are there ways to mitigate the approximately $300/ foot repaint costs? (Tip and Brush it myself? Ugh.) What would I need to do to the mast to minimize the effects of the salt water bath? Is it possible to get a slightly used Furler? Are they difficult to install seeing that the mast is down? Would I have any trouble re-surveying the boat after the repairs so I could get the boat re-insured? What other issues am I likely to run up against?
Thanks for your input.
BruceyP
Old 12-20-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

Boy, that awful, but it makes me think...what is a sailboat really worth today...after reading many of these storm threads both on this site and others I have heard of nobody that actaully had the insurance company OK repairs on their boat. It's almost always a total....

BTW, are you saying the quote was $300 a ft to repaint what was damaged...?
Old 12-20-2012

I had an agreed value, so the price was not negotiated. If you did not have agreed value, I think you can negotiate, but no first hand experience.
Be careful, I understand that in NJ the title MUST be marked "salvaged". You will have a tough time selling later on. I'd ask the ins co. Aboutresurveying.
I read an article that 90% of furler problems are caused by improper installation. I would call Dave at
Eggers in So Amboy. He can give you better advice. He does great work, and prices are reasonable.
Where in sea bright were you?
Lou
Old 12-20-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Brucey-
"If they "total " the boat, is their "buy back" price negotiable? "
Everything is negotiable. But be aware that if they total the boat out, whether they transfer it to a salvage title or not (check your state laws) the boat will be a total and you may not be able to get anything more than liability insurance on it afterwards. Check with your insurer and your state about local rules and process.

"Are there ways to mitigate the approximately $300/ foot repaint costs?" Sure, you get bids. Odds are any shop with an environmentally controlled paint booth will charge the same thing. Might be able to fit you in next spring. Guys who work out of a trailer illegally in a field will be cheaper, and some are even good at keeping the gnats out of the paint. Mitigate? Not really, but you can shop around for price and quality. Sometimes you can sail or haul to a shop 200 miles away and simply get a better price.

"What would I need to do to the mast to minimize the effects of the salt water bath?"
Wash in fresh water ASAP. What's done is done and AFAIK there's no "neutralizing", you just wash it to stop any further salt damage.

" Is it possible to get a slightly used Furler? Are they difficult to install seeing that the mast is down?" There are consignment shops that carry used gear, somewhere on the forums I'm sure there's a list. Hard to install? Nuts and bolts and instructions. Is it hard to build a swing set, tricycle or bbq?

"Would I have any trouble re-surveying the boat after the repairs so I could get the boat re-insured? " Yeah, from the top. Once totalled, some insurers won't touch it. You need to start with your state insurance commission to find out the laws, then ask your insurer, because sometimes they also lie. One of the things they lie about is the value of your boat, again, ask your state insurance commission who or if they are allowed to determine that value, and make sure they have followed the rules. With a car, I've seen an insurer with a top name literally cheat, break the rules, and finally raise their offer nearly 400%.

Think of this as a high-stakes poker game. They may be smiling at you, that doesn't mean they won't take you for everything if they can. If they treat you well and follow the rules--then come back to praise them afterwards. The few good guys deserve that.
Old 12-20-2012

Acording to Don Casey, rolling and tipping is EASY!
I'd be happy to give you a hand. I have discovered with no boat to work on, I have no life! Nothing to do but rake leaves!

IMHO, they'd rather close the file. Only boats I heard being repaired were very expensive, so a big gap between cost of repair and value of boat. Progressive had 1800 claims in NJ. I
Started pricing parts, pulpits etc. Every one. said they'd like to sell me parts, but they advised
Letting the boat go. Even diy gets very expensive very quickly.
Lou