Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Floated off the stands

I heard a story of a power boat owner on Long Beach Island,NJ that is being billed for 8,000 dollars by a salvage company plus another 800 dollars from the marina just to move a boat, that floated off it's jack stands, valued at around 2300 dollars...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2012

bruceyp is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input all of you.
Lillia,
Lou, our boat is still at Carriage House Marina. I have read here and other places about hand painting. I get the theory but the actual results may not be what I had in mind, Don Casey, not withstanding. As for help, I'll keep you in mind. Where was your boat?
AZguy,
That price $300/ foot was for a total repaint of the hull.
Lillia, HelloSailor,
The title being marked Salvage and future insurance limitations I find to be a real problem. No matter how well I did the repairs, a Salvage title would make any resale value next to nothing. I will be checking up on the NJ insurance issues.
aa3jy,
Yeah, I already got the bill for the recovery and sent it to the insurance company. It was almost $5K. And our boat didn't go 50 feet. Makes me wonder if they are deducting that $5k from the stated value, leaving me with even less $.
I'll wait until I get the real info from the Insurance Company.I could make myself crazy (or crazier).
But I sure hate to lose the Hannah Lee.
B
Old 12-20-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

Brucey,
I was at. Carriage House also. I understand they had to rent a large crane for 10 days or so. My boat was in a pile of 32 boats. Cost of Salvage does factor in their decision to total. I had Progressive, their Cat team agent told me it was NJ law about marking the title, but definatly double check. They were useing $120.00 hour labor rate. That adds up fast.
Two part polyurethane top side paint is expensive, but we could strip off the first coat and do it over for a lot less than $300/ foot!
I am in Fair Haven, and I'm serious about helping. Been looking for a new boat. PM me if u start to look. I might be able to save you a trip or two. I am looking in the 28-30 ft range. Several project boats advertized as perfect condition.
Lou
Old 12-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

$300 per foot for reprint is about standard. If you shop around, you may get it down to $250ish and be sure to have them throw in the haul and launch and perhaps unstepping/restepping the rig (doubt they will tune it for free). The way to negotiate is to get them to do the things that actually cost them virtually nothing on a marginal basis, but save you real money. But, be sure they are good painters, not some overspray wizard that always wanted to paint a boat.

There are guys around here that speak of a yard in Maine that is supposed to be very good and they talk of acquaintances that take their last sail of the season up there and leave her on the hard to be painted over the winter. They speak of it costing half, between paint and winter storage. I would have to track them down for the name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-21-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Custom Fiberglass 1-781-740-1067
Richie Doyle; Hingham, MA

Onceuponatime, these guys also had a top reputation for combining glass work with winter storage. I don't know what their rates are these days but if they are still around it could pay to call, they're the kind of shop that gets on the short list for kudos.