SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Floated off the stands (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93714-floated-off-stands.html)

AndreasNYC 11-02-2012 12:50 PM

Floated off the stands

Hello everyone

I had Put my boat on stands a week before the hurricane.
This was at liberty landing marina in NJ.
Today I rode by to check on my boat. I was not able tO enter the yard as it was unsafe.
Apparently most Of the boats floated Off their stands during severe flooding.
The boats where not bunched Top of each other as far as I could see.
The person at the yard claimed that thE boats had been "set down gently"'as the flood receeded

How bad do you guys think this damage is likely to be ?
I am hoping the mast did not end catching a high Point and bending or snapping. How bad is damage to the hull Or kneel likely to be?

Sabreman 11-02-2012 01:05 PM

Re: Floated off the stands

Regrettably, you can only speculate as to the extent or severity of the damage. If your boat is not in its stands when you arrive, then you should contact your insurance company (assuming that the boat is insured) immediately and get a surveyor on site as soon as possible. All anyone on Sailnet can do is speculate, and while entertaining for us, will do you little good. I'm sure that there will be posts regarding keel damage, and mast damage, etc, etc but rest assured that it's all speculative until a surveyor takes a good look.

Good luck to you.

bljones 11-02-2012 01:33 PM

Don't stress about it until you can see it. Nothing you can do about it anyway.

chef2sail 11-02-2012 02:39 PM

Andreas,

Sorry to hear of your boat. Thank goodness you are safe. Sabreman offered good advice. Hoppefully she just floated off and rested gently. No sense in speculating the worst.

Dave

urbanhermit 11-02-2012 02:51 PM

sorry to hear that, good luck.

AndreasNYC 11-02-2012 04:12 PM

I already called the insurance company
I was just wondering if it is true in general that if the boat went went down slowly that it generally does not cause a lot of damage.

The insured value Of the boat is Only 18000 so I am worried the insurance company will just call it a write off...
Oh well might be time for a newer bigger boat
Thanks for the support everyone ...
Andreas

msmith10 11-02-2012 04:36 PM

If they total it out, it's not necessarily the end of the world. You need to have it surveyed in any case. If they survey isn't too bad and they total it out, you could potentially buy it back, pay for repairs and pocket the difference. Wait until you see the survey results.

THEFRENCHA 11-02-2012 05:48 PM

A couple of pics from your marina are postes on annoter sailing forum
Of Lucy you might see yours Looks like minimal damages

carl762 11-02-2012 05:56 PM

That's good news. Sure hope it works out well for ya.

zeehag 11-02-2012 06:33 PM

you need to look at it really closely to make sure keel and rudder and hull are still intact and functional..
have fun--glad you are well.