SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   First "off-season" delivery (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93718-first-off-season-delivery.html)

Slayer 11-02-2012 05:27 PM

First "off-season" delivery

I am a bit embarrassed about asking for advice on foot wear, but being embarrassed never stopped me before. In mid-November I am helping someone deliver his boat from Newport to Norfolk. Among the things the captain suggested we bring were foul weather gear and BOOTS.

I imagine its going to be a bit chilly, but all my sailing shoes are for warmer weather, so I need to buy some new shoes. I am not the kind of guy who goes out and buys new clothing for every occassion like the folks who stock up at LLBean to go on a hike. I live in the NorthEast and just wear my work boots with heavy socks while out shovelling snow for hours on end with no problem. And I would do the same on this trip except the boots would skuff up the deck.

So I am looking at a couple of options. One is a Sperry Sea Racer Boot, which looks warm, water resistant and light weight. Another is another Top-Sider that looks like a hiking boot. Or shoudl I just get a pear of rubber fishing boots? Or just wear my regular topsiders and heavy socks? I know the question isn't worth all the words, but any suggestions?

jimrafford 11-02-2012 05:43 PM

Re: First "off-season" delivery

Spend the money and get a pair of Duberry's. Nothing worse than cold wet feet.
Jim

Slayer 11-02-2012 07:13 PM

Thanks Jim. I also hope to do some frost-biting this year, something else I have never done before. Think I could use the Dubarrys for winter sailing on a soling?

jimrafford 11-02-2012 07:55 PM

You bet. Know they don't come cheap but are worth the investment.
Jim

chef2sail 11-02-2012 10:31 PM

I second the Duberrys

jackdale 11-02-2012 11:22 PM

You could start with old fashioned rubber boots in which your feet will sweat, get wet and then get cold. Or at the other extreme you could get Dubarry's and have warm dry feet. They are ridiculously expensive, I know I wear them.

Andrew Burton 11-03-2012 02:34 PM

I have a bunch of miles and several seasons on my Dubarrys and love them. They're like bedroom slippers.

kjones 11-03-2012 03:11 PM

Dang now my iterest is peaked and I'm thinking about getting a pair. Do any of you suggest a particular model from the ones on their site?
Dubarry Mens Sailing Boots | Mens Boat Boots, Mens Yachting Boots, Sailing Boots for Men, Boat Boots

jimrafford 11-03-2012 05:39 PM

I have the newports. Love them! It was painfull enough cracking open my wallet for those but I've never regretted it. I got frostbite on my feet skiing 30 years ago and it's very painful now when my feet get cold.
Jim

sailingfool 11-03-2012 06:11 PM

There's a school of thought that these are the way to go
| Chota Outdoor GearChota Outdoor Gear| Waders | Wading Shoes | Stocking Foot Waders | Wading Booties | Portage Footwear | Fly Fishing | Breathable Waders | Rainwear | Paddling Gloves | Wading Jacket | Mukluk | Quicklace | Kayak Fishing | Felt Soled but I haven't tried them yet...