SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#4,055 ·
well...
i do not know what an american may call europe...
but yes - geographical europe and therefore it is not in the middle east, turkey or on the african continent... ;)
the canary islands are EU but still regarded as part of the african continent, being a part of the african shelf... :)

put that together with all the other information already received and it narrows down the place quite a bit, don't you think? ;)

#4,056 ·
another hint:
the marina is very often chosen by skippers who are participating in a transatlantic or round the globe race and brake their boat early into the race... even if it means a longer detour and limping their boats to the place in question...
since i visited the place, i know why they are doing this... ;)

#4,058 ·
sorry - not madeira, but it is getting warmer... ;)

all infos cumulated:
it is in geographical europe - hence not in the caribbean and not in south america and also not on madeira (this is also like the canary islands regarded a part of the african continent)
not in spain
not in the adriatic or agaen sea
not in the UK

come on guys, it is not that difficult... ;)
the main square with the church, shot from almost the same spot as the other images just in the other direction:

#4,068 · (Edited)
Aye, it is northern European and Hanseatic as well. The picture was taken from a bridge looking at the old centre of town. Seafaring ships were built here and the port is open to all but the biggest vessels these days.

Since my "difficult" picture threatens to last only minutes, I'll have to ask you to answer with a location that doesn't contain one or more instances of the word "or" :)

#4,071 · (Edited)
Bremen is my mom's hometown and I spent some time there. The Beck's brewery is just off the Google image from Zeilfanaat. I'll just hand over the reins to him, but with one little picture (not part of the contest)

Bremen was once a premier shipbuilding city, and of course of one of the old Hanseatic cities. In modern days it has fallen on bad times, with high unemployment and related issues. Fewer boats are built here than in years past, but famous shipbuilders such as Lürssen, Blohm und Voss and Abeking & Rasmussen are still there.

#4,072 ·
I'll just hand over the reins to him, but with one little picture (not part of the contest)
:)

Bremen was a complete guess on my part, but the radio towers made me think northern Europe, and the well-developed waterfront and tall ship in the background "Hanseatic city". Then, with your clues, it was a matter of going down the list of cities that are still accessible to large ships.

And of course, the final clue in the picture were the orange awnings on the apartment building; anyone from northern Europe (myself included) then knows to look for a building that faces south :)

Let me dig around my photo files a bit, and I'll post a new picture later tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.