SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#4,648 · (Edited)
OK,
I will lay out the clues all together so its a bit less confusing.
You can use Google and Google earth to your delight.

We are after the name of the yacht Club and/or Bay:

Written Clues:

South of the Bahamas.

One of the photos includes the plan of a very large proposed port and marina complex 3 nm NE of the Yacht Club

Locals indicate God was a bit pissed off when he made this coast.

The answer of Africa was neither confirmed nor denied.

This is looking aprox SW.

The arrow points to the yacht club.

The clue is not the building

#4,650 ·
Jolly well done!!!!! You are correct and now its your turn to try and trick us deviously, or make it easy if you choose.

Walvis Bay in Namibia looks like a pretty wild and wonderful place to stop in and see the Skeleton Coast. The Bushmen of the Namibian interior called the region "The Land God Made in Anger", while Portuguese sailors once referred to it as "The Gates of Hell".

The yacht club looks fine to drop the pick and go for an explore.

22° 57.406'S 14° 28.551'E

Make sure to zoom out, and pan south for Seaductions sandy bits.

#4,656 ·
for the sake of playing, I would guess with Chincoteague Island, because it has many bridges, and I think is south of Mason-Dixon line, which is a history detail i didn't know. There is a funny story related to my American history knowledge

#4,657 ·
donjuanluis is correct Chincoteague VA, name of island, bridge, bay and inlet. The larger island is Assateague VA and MD with 37 miles of undeveloped beach and dunes.

The Union sent a gunboat from Philadelphia to protect the island from Confederate irregular forces on the mainland. No bridge at that time.

My next clue; a causeway from the bridge/island to mainland goes past the location where George HW Bush did his flight training.

Then the view of Wallops Island launch towers from the island.

#4,659 ·
Lucky me. Great location, the Delmarva peninsula with 170 miles long must be a place to visit. Clues were of great assistance, the wild life reserve, the position related to Mason/Dixon line.

As a foreign student in the US back in 1983 in the senior year of highschool, it was mandatory to assist to American History course. The teacher, a nice old lady always picked me for the answers. My lack of english at that moment made things more difficult. Don't know how, but I found my way to change that course for another related with computer science. When the school board found out it was too late to go back, almost end of school year.

I-m working the next picture

regards!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.