SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#4,740 · (Edited)
Zeilfanaat has it Delaware City, Delaware.

The C&D connecting Delaware and Maryland, bypassed the original locked canal with a sea level canal deeper and wider. This section of the old canal is the only remaining section.

This image nearby in the shipping channel at Reedy Point looking towards the Salem power plant would have given the location away.

#4,746 · (Edited)
You did say WEST .... so why did I go EAST ? Fuzzy is as fuzzy does.

OK, so we are in Switzerland ? Both the Rhine and the Rhone are navigable in Switzerland though to the sea ? Not sure. Didn't think so. (Though you didn't say it was, maybe it is.)

I'll take a stab at the Rhine .... French Swiss border.

#4,758 ·
Z ..... you nailed it. Henry the Navigator himself.

Original pic was taken on one time SailNutter's 'Guilietta' while we were sailing from Cascais to Lisbon. The middle pic is the base of the Belem Tower.

All yours Zeilfanaat.

#4,759 ·
The Lisbon Maritime museum does a great job highlighting the great contributions that Portugese explorers have made (although the Dutch held their own :) ). We enjoyed our visit there a couple of years ago.

Alas, I won't be able to post any new pictures for a few days so why don't you go ahead and post another one.

#4,762 ·
Zanshin .... you are of course correct but sometimes circumstances get on top of one. Anywho ... on with the game, though I'd better not get the answer cos I can't post pics till probably Monday.

Let the sleuthing begin.

Would I be correct to think that we are looking at the results of a major landslide ? Doesn't look volcanic to me but the place sure as heck looks somewhat engulfed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.