SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#34 ·
Ok ... Paulo .... you anchored there in September and it is not a Med island ? Were you chartering ?

andrew
Hummm! Where do you get that I anchored there in September? I said that I had anchored last Setember on the Island of Ponza, the one on the last photo that I have guessed, the one posted by T37Solare.

Ponza is situated at about 60Nm of Fumicino , near Rome on the coast, where I have my boat for the winter.

I guess that I can say that my boat is on the photo (on the second group the one nearer the beach) but it is the Bavaria, not the Comet.

More questions please:D

Regards

Paulo

#44 ·
OK... Playa de Rodas.. Ilas Cies Galecia Espana.... FINALLY found that distinctive little zig-zag pier

#45 ·
Olé!!!!!:thewave::thewave:

It is your turn Faster bur first let me tell you all how great you are Guys:). Andrews and Geoff had already figured it out...but reading the name of the posted picture. You can see it when you quote. Instead of coming out with the right answer they send me a private message saying that they would not want to win cheating and asking me to remove the name of the place from the pic.

Cheers to them and to Faster.

Regards

Paulo

#50 ·
No, no and no... but it is North America...

#55 ·
No... as you can clearly see the boats are floating on their 'seawater' lines..;);)

#54 ·
All three boats look like oceangoing ones and not (small) lake boats so I would hesitate to guess that those locks lead to/from the sea. Probably west coast, since the St. Lawrence goes so far inland and there are more boaties out west. There are power lines, so that cuts out about 90% of Canada (sorry, couldn't help that - plus I lived in Montreal for a long time).

#56 ·
....... Probably west coast, since the St. Lawrence goes so far inland and there are more boaties out west. ......
I don't believe there are any locked canals in BC...

#61 ·
Paulo... you need to hit that 'refresh' button a bit more often....:p;) We've already established Canada, not west coast.

#63 ·
So bounce back a couple of thousand miles to the east coast.

YooHoo - Google is my friend. I guessed that it might be Nova Scotia. Can it be the St. Peters Canal?
Yes, Zanshin.. that's it. the southern entrance to Nova Scotia's Bras d'Or lakes, really a tidal salt water sea. The double locks you refer to are due to the possibility of either end of the canal being higher at any given time (because the 'lakes' are tidal fed from the northeastern entrance, which is not locked)

We stopped and watched this group go through and had a very pleasant chat with the lockkeeper this past summer.. btw - no canal fees either. We later saw that group at Baddeck on the lake.

You're up, Zanshin..

#65 ·
Is it just the Bay of Fundy with huge tides or are there significant differences in water level here as well?

Ok - here's an "artsy" picture
The tides in the Cape Breton area are much less extreme than the Bay of Fundy.

OK.. back in the Caribbean, I assume?.. the ships make me think St Eustatia...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.