SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#719 ·
See how you go. Shouldn't be too hard. I'll be gone for some hours so if anyone is really certain then please go ahead.

The boat should help you get close.

#721 ·
Clearly Dear Old Raven.... I suspect Splatt has it, but I think that's closer to the (unnamed?) island at the mouth of Jervis Bay...

EDIT: actually more probably Silica Cove...

#722 ·
Sure looks like Point Perpendicular in the background, but my guess is that the boat is anchored off Point Pleasant (Vicentia), rather than the shelf closer to Huskisson, based on the orientation of the exposed rocks. Never would have figured this out on my own. Looks like MattSplatt knows this area.

#723 ·
Yeah... Silica Cove is too close.. somewhere around/between Huskisson and Vincentia like Splatt suggested looks better distance wise...

Looks like a primo spot to hang out and whalewatch!

#724 ·
Bowen Island is the one at the mouth of Jervis Bay.

I haven't been to many places, but I figured if I was on the ball, TDW would eventually post something I recognised right away. :-D

It's obviously Point Perpendicular, I didn't visually recognise the exact rock shelf, but the relative positions of the two headlands (Point P. and the nearer, lower one) puts the photo at Vincentia. So can I have a go? :)

#725 · (Edited)
Huh... we have a Bowen Island here too - probably named for the same guy... much more inhabited than yours.

I'd say you could go ahead.. Fire away. - But it's going to be a bit slow, most of the rest of the world has gone to bed!

#727 · (Edited)
Jervis it is ... Raven moored off Huskisson. Not Valencia but that's only a mile or so away.

Nice spot Jervis Bay , only problem is that there are very few really protected anchorages and it's a mongrel of a place in a hard nor easter.

#729 ·
Much further than Port Stephens.

I've wondered about Jervis Bay in a Nor' Easter. I don't have a proper boat (only a canoe) and it's bloody dreadful even on the beach in a decent NE breeze. I often figured there's probably somewhere on the N side to shelter. Is there? or is it all too low/shallow on the N side? I haven't holidayed on the N side, only Greenpatch and Husky.

#730 ·
Can't find the estuary name, but perhaps Dunbogan?

EDIT: Camden Haven River?

#733 ·
Phoa .... man that could be any number of Qld locales. Inside Fraser Island somewhere ?

Ref Jervis .... depends on size of boat and draft. There's a little inlet just north of Honeymoon with a few moorings but anything bigger than 35' no way and max draft 2.0m. Raven fully loaded was a tadge over 1.9m. We picked up the deepest mooring and that was OK but the one only a boat length close to shore had us scuffing the bottom at dead low. Most easterly off hole in the wall are tolerable, Huskisson horrible. The big beach not too bad NE but you need the right anchor. I don't know what is the right anchor but it most certainly is not a CQR.

#734 · (Edited)
Anyone who had camped there would recognise the 2nd photo right away. Everyone gets out their beach chairs and watches the sunset while sipping a beverage. :)

At high tide the second photo is a broad expanse of water all the way from the photographer's feet across to the bay.

It's North of Fraser and near the last beach that gets any surf, before we get into the shelter of the Great Barrier Reef.

#740 ·
Not sure what '1770' means.. but I'm going for Corio Beach...

Splatt.. you're going to have to give us more.. just so we know where ebs is....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.