SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

638K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#892 · (Edited)
Pure guesswork on my part .... Lizard Island , Great Barrier Reef.

was when James Cook and his team sailed the whole length of the reef from May to Aug 1770. When the ship struck Endeavour Reef, north of Cape Tribulation, and they were forced to repair their ship for six weeks that they were able to observe the Great Barrier Reef. But Cook and his team were not able to explore the reef and scientists were only able to know that the reef was of great length and size. After repairing the ship, Cook tried to make way to the open sea through the Lizard Island. When he and his botanist Joseph Banks climbed the highest point of island, they were able to see the passage in the reef, through which there ship made way. This is known as the 'Cook's passage'.
More than a guess now ....

#902 ·
Too easy but we've got some friends coming to the boat so I'll be off line for the rest of the day at least. Figured I should give you a sitter.

(still confused as to how Matt cheated)

#908 ·
Tell me when the locals don't need to hold off.

And how local is local?

Can I chuck in an answer if its further than how far from we're I used to live?

Or perhaps never been there and haven't googled it?

Actually I better not win as I don't have a photo ready :hothead
Yeah... that's where I am, actually.. out of good shots. This is pretty easy, as tdw alluded to, esp if you're a regular here..

.. but I don't think you'd be considered a 'local' in this case, Mark! - of course maybe you were here but just don't remember,....;) :p

#912 ·
North America... and yes, salt water.... Not New Brunswick's reversing falls...

#914 ·
Right you are.. The narrows fills and drains the long, vaguely 'K' shaped body of water in the center of the pic below, the narrows are near the top connected to Jervis inlet.

You can see the lat/long on the screen dump if you want a closer look. This is a fabulous place to hang out and watch these kayakers, esp during a summer evening with the low sun and good light. Really nice walk, about 45 minutes from Egmont where that suicidal fellow was launching off the pier. A clean warm lake for a quick dip on the way back. The shots here were taken on the flood, the optimum conditions, the spoil is at the opposite end of the narrows on the ebb and isn't quite as accessible.

Your turn, Fallard...

Reactions: jrd22
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.