Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree209Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Contest/Game - Identify this picture

I know its not my turn, but I noticed a lull in the activity so I tried my artwork on my boat photo. Yes, that's my backyard on the residential canal. (Indian Harbour Beach actually). I feel as though I'm on vacation every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Great shot, Sea... I'm jealous of your moorage 'situation'.

Zanshin is up with his ID of St Barts...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-20-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Ok, since we have drifted to islands, what is this island called?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2013

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

are we in the caribbean?
Old 12-20-2013

Aye, Capt Vimes, we arrrr.

Old 12-20-2013

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

then i know it...
but i will let the others give it a shot, because i have no images at hand and have to wait til i am back home from work...
Old 12-20-2013

Lovely picture of Redonda, but a bit monochromatic. Apparently there are some amusing tales about the rulership of the kingdom of Redonda. Found this one here:

KINGDOM OF REDONDA

KING ROBERT THE BALD

On May 31st 1998, with sixty-one loyal subjects, King Robert the Bald landed on the south west corner of Redonda. It was a beautiful day and a rare one - landing on the island is normally extremely difficult with heavy surf and swells making a maelstrom of the boulder-strewn beach. The "Sir Robert Baden-Powell" a 130' square-rigged topsail schooner, seconded to the Royal Redondan Navy, dropped anchor in the only possible place, a ledge near the site of the broken-down jetty with forty feet of water under her keel.

With the new flag cracking in the breeze, the landing party, including the crack Alpine Brigade lead by Sir Timothy de Gavre, was taken ashore in several waves by the ship's assault craft. Resistance melted away at the sight of such a determined commando as they made their way along the beach boulders to begin the ascent of the 60 degree 600 foot gully to the plateau.

Remnants of a past civilisation met their eyes at every turn: the sad wreck of the post office, barracks for the 200 miners who had worked the guano and phosphate deposits until early this century, broken down cisterns, a bakery, occasional sun-bleached skeletons from a once-proud army of goats, manager's house and one tiny perfectly preserved building, still with its stone roof, but without doors or windows. Rusting machinery , and large buckets from the two counterweighted cable lift systems were strewn here and there.

Royal Stampage

Queen Elizabeth

King Robert The Bald

THE KINGDOM

King Robert and His very own Queen Elizabeth, accompanied by the ferocious Lord Howling of Sundance, sword always at the ready, and the King's personal cleric Cardinal Sin of Redonda, wisely stayed on the beach drinking beer in a cave, directing the assault. Dame Saliva McGill, the well-known diva (she teaches diving too) gave a spirited rendition of the Redondan National Anthem "Simply because" as King Robert so wisely remarked, "There is nothing like a Dame". Thirteen stalwart members of the Brigade clambered up the dangerous gully and made it to the top of the 970 foot King Juan's Peak, there gloriously to plant the flag. By this one simple but valiant act our beloved King Robert the Bald's Kingdom of Redonda was assured well into the next century, He should live so long already.

To sum up the memorable nine-hour return passage to Falmouth Bay Lady de Knees was heard endearingly to say "Dogs Save the King".
Old 12-20-2013

Redonda it is - I took some pictures while passing this kingdom as well, but since I had those on my blog pages I didn't use them.

Panoramio - Photo explorer

Capt Vimes lost out (remember the margin note in "Arithmetica"?) so Seaduction once again has taken the honor of coming up with the next image.

Old 12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Redonda it is - I took some pictures while passing this kingdom as well, but since I had those on my blog pages I didn't use them.

Panoramio - Photo explorer

Capt Vimes lost out (remember the margin note in "Arithmetica"?) so Seaduction once again has taken the honor of coming up with the next image.
Thanks. I did look at google earth photos of the island and found that you had posted your photo there. Photo is coming in a few minutes.
Old 12-20-2013

Hope the coloration is true here. Its 27įF here this morning.

Tags
game , identify , picture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.