SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#1,431 ·
Geoff's got it--and pretty quickly! I was hoping you'd make the connection to the Visitor Center, which is the gateway to the Fire Island National Seashore here.

The national seashore extends for 26 of the 30 mile extent of Fire Island. Or at least what used to be a 30 mile barrier island: TS Sandy opened up 2 breaches, so that Fire Island became "Fire Islands." I had visited this site in 1995 by boat, when there had been a breach from winter storms (further to the east) that was being filled by dredges. I'm not sure what the national seashore will do: let nature take its course?

Your turn, Geoff.

#1,433 ·

Looks like this thread is slowly running out of steam - here are a few clues to see if we can keep it going a little longer.

The first picture is from a painting and shows the yacht club - a bit too stuffy and golf-centric for my taste but it is on the list of oldest yacht clubs.

The GE shows the same club house in the top right corner and the boat part way down the pontoon is the club launch. This would all be out of sight to the left of the original picture.

#1,436 ·
Old yacht club points to the east coast. You probably can look up the pennants but I don't know where and it's your job to go look :D

Looks LI Sound-ish, almost thought it was Port Jeff Harbor at first. Somewhere farther west? Nice painting.
Thanks, it's a detail from a bigger painting. Look NE or actually more ENE from LI Sound.

Famous for a particular shellfish. And the floating boat sheds and dingy docks are fairly distinctive.

#1,443 ·
I was in the middle of checking images of every yacht club on the list of America's oldest. I might have missed something but I wasn't even sure it was in New England :( Stroke of luck that I checked again and I saw your last clue and that saved me a bit of time as I just started looking at MA yacht clubs.

#1,445 · (Edited)
Well...... as the yacht club wasn't in the first picture... what I was really looking for was Duxbury Bay :D :D :D Oh! alright then!

Duxbury, originally know by the Pilgrims as Duxborough and begrudgingly know as Delux-bury by those who, like me, who can't afford to live there.

BTW, there's not much there for a cruising sailor so consider turning left as you enter the bay and go to Plymouth instead.

Edit: I guess I should have qualified that with "if you want to do more than just hang out on your boat in a beautiful place" consider turning left as you enter the bay and go to Plymouth instead.

#1,446 ·
I thought of Duxbury and checked it over too quickly--didn't zoom in enough. The cue for me was the rowing operation next door. There aren't too many places that would be suitable for rowing, accessible to open water, and have a yacht club next door. The shallow water was also a clue, particularly with the number of smaller power boats in evidence.

I was on my way back to recheck Duxbury when Rob nailed it. Oh, well. More power to Rob!

BTW, if you've checked the charts for this area, there aren't too many sailors taking a right turn as they come into the bay.

#1,448 ·
BTW, if you've checked the charts for this area, there aren't too many sailors taking a right turn as they come into the bay.
Picky, picky picky :D As you enter from Plymouth Bay, turn left instead of bearing right to Duxbury Bay. No statements by the author are intended for, or to be used for navigation and the author accepts no responsibility for you going aground. :p

#1,458 ·
"Looks" right... way to go Jon! If it isn't the right spot it sure could be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.