SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#1,540 ·
Absolutely correct on all accounts, TDW. I keep my yacht here and regularly sail on the river and down to Fremantle and Rottnest Island. The Swan river downstream of Perth is quite a large expanse that is popular for yacht and dinghy racing and other water sports. Consistently throughout spring and summer we have a good seabreeze that is great for sailing. Those keen enough sail all year round :)
The only drawback is three low bridges at Fremantle. All but the smallest of sailing craft on the river have to lower their masts to get access to the ocean.
Over to you TDW.

#1,543 ·
oh crap ...where did you come from ... :p

Too easy I guess. Thought I might get away with it provided some smartarse who had actually been there showed up.

sigh.

Cheers Mark ..... all yours mate.

#1,555 · (Edited)
Perving out our female Prime Minister? You must be a tad desperate, but she is not married.... :p

When did you live there?

Kurraba Point is the other headland. But if you draw a line from the edge of the Opera House thru the line of the edge of Kirribbilli Point, noting the ferry wharf, you would note that Kurraba Point is too far forward to have been the photo location.

the actual location of the boat was on one of the mooring balls of the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron in the middle of Neutral Bay, a little further north than the line of Wudyong Point.

Was your apartment in one of these blocks? (Same photo location)

Mark

#1,572 ·
Zadar looks like an interesting place, with quite a bit of history, including Julius Caesar, pirates, and so forth. Apparently it was one of a few walled ports in the Adriatic.

The next place to discover is on the other side of the world from Zadar. We're looking for the name of the port or the name of the bay in which the port is found (beyond the airport).

#1,579 ·
Yes, it's Port Allen, in Hanapepe Bay. All yours, Jon.

Port Allen doesn't look much like a cruising destination and has a commercial feel to it. It is a fuel terminal, but also is a base for catamaran tours of this end of Kauai, particularly the spectacular Na Pali coast. Similarly, the airport offers helicopter and plane tours. Just around the corner--about 5 nm away--is Waimea, where Captain Cook became the first European visitor to the Hawaiian islands, which he named the Sandwich islands after the acting First Lord of the Admiralty, in 1778.

#1,581 ·
Weird... Jon I have to switch browsers to see your picture...????

Anyhow, WAG for Lake Garda....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.