SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,968 ·
My guess--which djl confirmed--is that the first photo was taken from the beach at Solis (Playa Solis), about 6.6 nm NW of the hill at Piriapolis (shown in the last photo).

BTW, I will be away from my computer and won't be able to respond in a timely fashion if I were to post a new photo. Could Seaduction fill in at this point?

#2,969 ·
Folks - just a small reminder that by guessing and/or answering correctly you have taken the right but also the obligation to post the next picture. Identifying the picture and then passing the torch to someone else is not in the spirit of the game. So if you aren't willing to locate a good picture to continue the thread should you identify the current picture correctly then let someone else do so.

(And don't be cruel to the rest of us with "I know where that is but can't post because I have no picture" type of posts, that went out in 1637 with Fermat's scribbling in his copy of "Arithmetica")

#2,972 ·
Peoples,
In the past we worked on the 24 hour limit though I suggest maybe that is excessive. any objections if we reduce it back to 12 or would 18 be fairer.

Reality is , as both Mark and zanshin have noted, this game needs to be run along speed dating lines or it all gets hopelessly bogged down.

Question ... if we decide that there is a time limit how do we choose next poster ? I'm happy to adjudicate if you wish, or perhaps more broadly any mod who happens to stumble by ..... yes that means you Fast me old mate. Alternatively as Zansin in the OP perhaps we leave it up to you ?

#2,973 ·
We need more, new players.. it's the same few participants who are running out of good pictures to post.. It's been great recently with DJL, Seaduction, Lawrence et al. but now I suspect they are running out too.

But I agree that it quickly grows stagnant if not 'fed'... 12 hours is probably fine given the variety of time zones we get to work with.

#2,987 ·
That one was a gimme.... Spent several years on Tybee Island, and passed the lighthouse a lot on weekend trips.

This one is pretty generic. If you get to the right archipelago, thats close enough. Take a close look at the boat... Commonest means of local transport and modeled after local one-log canoes. Scanned from the original KodaChrome.

#2,989 ·
Yeah.... Load of split palm fronds for thatch. Transported from another island about 10km away as it has the best material for the job according to the "old boys" But you need to cut and split them during the right phase of the moon or your roof will always leak. Lots and lots of rain here.... while the maximum elevation in the area is about 150 meters, most of the larger islands are quite hilly.

Here is a shot of the main drag in the "big-city".... Seat of local government and home to about 1/3 of the areas population. One island west from the original photo.

You can find these guys hanging around as well..

Where was I ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.