SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

638K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,276 ·

Clue: Tourists are drawn to the area shown here.
Here's a guess, based on the letters on the back of the boat. But the castle doesn't seem to match.

Killarney Lake, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Regards,
Brad

This post has been deleted
#2,281 ·
OK, this may be a hard one. Took this picture myself, from our boat. I'll start giving hints if no one gets it.

There can't be too many places where there are whirlpools, right?

Regards,
Brad

#2,294 · (Edited)
Yes, we have a winner!!

Maybe Orient Point light in the second photo.
Yes, very good.

Plum Gut, Long Island Sound on way to Shelter Island.

edit - further investigation suggests that if I'm correct then SeaDuction got there first. I didn't realise that Orient Point Light was in the same vicinity.
tdw -- almost. Seaduction beat you to it.

It was a very calm day when we motored through and saw the whirlpool. Likely you won't see it otherwise. It must have been 20 feet across and an inch or two lower in the middle. We circled back to see it again. It's a bit rare to have a perfectly flat sea there.

Regards,
Brad

#2,290 · (Edited)
Plum Gut, Long Island Sound on way to Shelter Island.

edit - further investigation suggests that if I'm correct then SeaDuction got there first. I didn't realise that Orient Point Light was in the same vicinity.

#2,292 ·
Well I reckon its all yours Seady ... I know Plum Gut is correct cos well, mmm, shuffle of feet, I cheated, sort of. :eek: :eek:

When I did a google of "tide race whirlpools usa" one of the pics that came up was a tale about how running that race through Plum Gut makes the trip to Shelter Island a bit quicker.

Some fella by the name of Bene505 posted it on some forum called SailNet back in 2009. Not sure why but the names sound vaguely familiar to me. :)

btw .... I've never had that happen before which is almost surprising.

#2,295 ·
...I cheated, sort of... When I did a google of "tide race whirlpools usa" ...
That's how I got my win. the boat in Seaduction's picture looked like it is named "PRIDE OF T..." so I googled that, with the word Lake and Castle.

You use the hints on the page and the tools within reach.

Regards,
Brad

#2,293 ·
The second picture sure did look like the "tea kettle" light between Orient Pt and Plum Island. I've been through there, but never experienced a whirlpool, maybe because I don't like to run the Gut when the tidal currents at at the high end.

I have experienced eddies that influenced the boat (heeling and jawing) in the Cape Cod Canal when the current was up to 7 kts. At least I was going with the current (11.5 kts over the bottom) and the railroad bridge stayed up!

#2,296 ·
Errkk ... I didn't see SeaDuction's first post, only the second one referring to the Orient Light. Mind you, that was enough to see that he had it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.