SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,547 ·
Given that I've thrown Plate and Montevideo and every second pic DLJ has posted I'll be mightily pissed off is this is it and I missed the bugger. :p

#2,544 ·
You folks are moving too fast for me. donjuanluis obviously got my post, but there is an interesting history to the watery locale. Those of you interested in history might look up Holy Loch. There are stories of St. Munn from the 6th century and much later a quarantine station and then submarine based for the UK and then the US, which based ballistic missile submarines there for 3 decades, but vacated the Loch in 2009.

Holy Loch Marina is now the dominant water-based activity, located at the site of the Robertson yard, which built a couple of America's cup challengers 60 or so years ago. The marina connects to Gourock--not too far from Glasgow--on the other side of the Clyde by ferry.

#2,545 ·
You folks are moving too fast for me. donjuanluis obviously got my post, but there is an interesting history to the watery locale. Those of you interested in history might look up Holy Loch. There are stories of St. Munn from the 6th century and much later a quarantine station and then submarine based for the UK and then the US, which based ballistic missile submarines there for 3 decades, but vacated the Loch in 2009.

Holy Loch Marina is now the dominant water-based activity, located at the site of the Robertson yard, which built a couple of America's cup challengers 60 or so years ago. The marina connects to Gourock--not too far from Glasgow--on the other side of the Clyde by ferry.
In my search, and after finding the relevant information to the place, also found interesting history in wikipedia, and some other blogs related to the subs campaigns.

#2,553 · (Edited)
LOL - I don't know how I got Buenos Aires in there; that's embarassing and I'd prefer to edit my post, but won't. I wanted to write Sao Paolo / Santos in Brazil but when I went back to check Google Earth I found no breakwater. But I did check Buenos Aires and that is the breakwater I saw - it is over 2km long and easily visible in google earth.

#2,566 ·
So who is the winner??? I believe I'll concede this to Zanshin who was closer with Recife, if you are in agreement. I though about Recife, I city I know fairly well, but the buildings just didn't look right to me (and still don't!!).

BTW, Copacabana is a beach in Rio (and a small town on lake Titicaca on the Bolivian Altiplano!). :)

#2,569 ·
OK then, I'll go next. Zanshin and Don Juan are true gentlemen.

This picture (if it loads...) is of a location quite popular with the few foreign cruising boats that make it to Brazil. I'm looking for the name of the town and the island. If it's too hard, I can post another photo a bit later. A small hint: the rock jutting up in the mountains is a well-known landmark on the island.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.