SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,699 ·
TDW's got it.. Nanaimo harbour, and specifically Newcastle Island Marine Park, with the second pic from nearby Protection island, the famed Dinghy dock pub behind the foliage on the right. (The palms were supposed to throw you off)

Interesting link, Seaduction... but whoever it is got it wrong. Gabriola Island is a few miles distant, and all the quarry/pulpstone/pillar references are actually to do with Newcastle Island, currently the park.

This park has many kms of trails, several quarry ruins, footings of old canneries, was a significant coal mining area (hence the name).. Coal shafts and tunnels run under the sea between Naniamo and Newcastle, and an old ventilator shaft still stands.

A former Union Steamships tour stop, the original dance hall still stands and is often rented out for parties and weddings. Campsites, passenger ferries, camp floats for 60 odd boats and dozens of mooring buoys round out one of BC's premier sailing destination.

#2,700 ·
TDW's got it.. Nanaimo harbour, and specifically Newcastle Island Marine Park, with the second pic from nearby Protection island, the famed Dinghy dock pub behind the foliage on the right. (The palms were supposed to throw you off)

Interesting link, Seaduction... but whoever it is got it wrong. Gabriola Island is a few miles distant, and all the quarry/pulpstone/pillar references are actually to do with Newcastle Island, currently the park.

This park has many kms of trails, several quarry ruins, footings of old canneries, was a significant coal mining area (hence the name).. Coal shafts and tunnels run under the sea between Naniamo and Newcastle, and an old ventilator shaft still stands.

A former Union Steamships tour stop, the original dance hall still stands and is often rented out for parties and weddings. Campsites, passenger ferries, camp floats for 60 odd boats and dozens of mooring buoys round out one of BC's premier sailing destination.
It seems like a scholarly article with several references, including a survey for property on Gabriola for the quarry. So there's no old sandstone quarries on Gabriola, eh?

#2,717 ·
Thanks.. only 'fast' because I've been there, recognized the pier and the hauled out boat.. Also the terrain said 'Domenica' with it's ruggedness.

Probably well into 'recycling' images now, but we do have 'new' players... try this:

#2,723 · (Edited)
Morning gents... Caribbean indeed, of course, but neither of you are close thus far.. The shoal in the foreground is large and distinctive, and obviously this is a popular cruising harbour... I believe this is really the only major anchorage on this island.

It's the island in the background in this shot as we are headed further south...

#2,726 ·
Got it, Seaduction.. sorry for the delay.

A truly delightful spot, that first shot was taken along the hike/walk to the other side and the turtle sanctuary.. Bequia has a charming, colourful community and a Canadian built farmers market on the waterfront.

That took longer than I thought, and Zanshin, I'd expect you'd been there before??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.