SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,841 ·
The last picture looks like it was taken from an observation deck at an airport. I always thought that the shortest walk in the world from an internation airport to a dinghy dock was in the BVI, from the airport departure gate to Trellis Bay is only about 300 yards. But this looks even shorter, whereever it may be.

#2,850 ·
Bingo! A winner. Just 30 minute drive from my home. Photo taken from aboard the Freedom of the Seas as we were embarking on a 2317 nmi. round trip through the western Caribbean. The monster ship cruises at 20 knots.

Your post, Obelisk. What part of the globe are we going to see this time?

#2,859 · (Edited)
I dug this up on the internet from "the Telegraph":
The Prince of Wales introduced himself as the "nambawan pikinini bilong misis kwin" - the number one child belonging to Mrs Queen - as he spoke in Pidgin English during a visit to Papua New Guinea.

During a speech to the crowds Charles spoke in Pidgin English and told them to huge cheers: "Mi bringim bikpela tok hamamas bilong mejesti kwin Papua Niugini na olgeta haus lain bilong mi lon dispela taim bilong Diamon Jubili misis kwin. Mi tokpisin olrite?"
Charles' words translated as: "I bring you greetings from Her Majesty the Queen of Papua New Guinea and from all my family members during this celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of the Queen. Was my Pisin correct?
:)

#2,861 ·
Fallard... GE resolution isn't necessarily good enough for positive ID.. but I suspect you've got it. If Obelisk doesn't come along soon and confirm I think you can have the next go...

#2,862 ·
Fallard, you got it. that's the ash plain from Mt. Yasur. I in tended to visit Tanna to see the volcano and stay a few days but the people were so friendly that we stayed 6 weeks and visited 5 other islands. sorry for the delay, spontaneous overnighter to some of the islands here. fallard's up.

#2,866 ·
Azzarac is right. The "Wine Crane", located in Oestrich-Winkel (near Bingen) is a surviving example of a human-powered crane. It was built in 1744-45 and was used to load barges on the Rhine River. This area has been noted for wine for quite a long time--hence the "Wine Crane" label--but the crane was used to load other cargo besides wine barrels.

BTW, the Rhine between here and Cologne is especially scenic and is not to be missed if one gets a chance to take a river cruise.

Azzerac, your turn to post.

#2,868 ·
Welcome to the game, Azzarac!

Atlantic or Pacific Salmon???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.