Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Where to get information about inlets after Sandy?

As far as anchoring at Atlantic City there are two spots.

1- is a little north across from Clam Creek on the inlet thoroughfare before Rum Point. It is not marked , but after you get past the R12 you cabn feel your way in as the bootom is all sand

2- You want to anchor on the east side of the bridge not under it on the west side. Very swift current there at 3-4 knots so have good tackle and a way to get it up as you will be major dug in., but good holding

3-Kammermans- in the basin at $2 a foot

4- State marina - $4 a foot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012

tominny is on a distinguished road

Thanks everybody for all the good advice. Current plan is to wait out the nor'easter in Pirt Washington (free town moorings there with 1200 lb mushroom) and catch the tide early Thu morning after the storm and make it to Sandy Hook, anchor either in the anchorage or behind the seawall, then leave from there Fri at dawn and go far offshore (beam reach predicted). If there is not much debris in sight during the day, we'll continue over night to Cape May and will anchor behind the breakwater in the Cape Henlopen Harbor of refuge, weather permitting. I'd prefer that to entering any of the inlets that have sustained a lot if damage.
How does that sound for a plan? How far offshore do people deem safe?
PS: while NY Harbor remains closed to pleasure craft, the NY USCG told me that it is ok for sailboats to pass through.

Tartan 34C
New York City
Old 11-06-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

I have concerns with Active Captain and crowdsourcing information in general. I write the material for a significant portion of the Great Lakes for Waterway Guide and well over 50% of the time, what I find on AC (yes, I check it, I check all sources) is entirely wrong, or quite inaccurate - and too frequently to the point of being dangerous.
IT's fine if you want to know the condition of a marina's showers, but to trust my boat and perhaps my life to some unknown boater's unknown ability and knowledge.
Not a chance.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 11-06-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I've always stayed at least 3 miles off the Jersey coast when transiting at night, in about 60 ft. of water. You can hold off to about 5 miles, further than that you'll begin to encounter some large commercial shipping.

Hard to say what the sea state will be until after this storm passes, you'll have to check the reports as we get closer and maybe vary your distance off to find where it's most comfortable.
Old 11-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I concur with Tempest. A lot depends on wind direction also. I have found staying 1.5 to 3 miles off the beach in daylight during west strong west or northwest winds give you some protection from fetch and swells, and you are beoing pushed away from a lee shore.

Most of the time 3 miles out is a good position. Once past Barnegat the offshore boats and commercial should really thin out. Usually they are lit up like hotels out there Be on the lookout for ocean tugs with barges.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-06-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

fyi everyone - Waterway Guide has just now published that Liberty Landing Marina has just announced they are open and all services, including diesel, are available. Also can handle winter storage - given the number of marinas destroyed, they will probably get a lot of action.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 11-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I concur with Tempest. A lot depends on wind direction also. I have found staying 1.5 to 3 miles off the beach in daylight during west strong west or northwest winds give you some protection from fetch and swells, and you are beoing pushed away from a lee shore.

Most of the time 3 miles out is a good position. Once past Barnegat the offshore boats and commercial should really thin out. Usually they are lit up like hotels out there Be on the lookout for ocean tugs with barges.

Dave
That's always my greatest fear anywhere in the NY bight. There are so many tugs with barges towed far astern all along the NY, NJ shoreline. They seem to stay close to shore for some reason and are really a danger if you stay close-in. They move fast. There are so many lights, you really need to pay attention at night. I've always headed farther offshore there, like 8-10 miles to avoid the traffic.