Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012

tominny is on a distinguished road
Where to get information about inlets after Sandy?

I am planning to sail from NY Harbor south past the Jersey shore next Friday after the predicted storm system has cleared. Destination is the Bahamas, ultimately, with the idea of sailing inside the Stream but as much outside the ditch as possible. Initially, we (total crew of 2) planned to do 36 hour overnight jumps, for example from Sandy Hook to cape May.

Given the damage in New Jersey, how can I get information about inlets along the way. I presume they changed significantly? Is there a USCG web site with updates perhaps? Notice to Mariners? How about debris and night sailing? Should we fogedaboutit or go as far offshore as possible?

I'd like to hear people's advice about this, especially in regards to the situation after the hurricane.

Thanks!

Tartan 34C
New York City
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Where to get information about inlets after Sandy?

It is likely going to be difficult to get any information. The Jersey shore is still off limits and the assessment of damage is just getting started. Contact Sea Tow or US Boat, look for CG notices as you suggested, and maybe check sailing websites like Active Captain. I'd be very careful in any of the NJ inlets as well as in the ocean for not only changes in water depths but also for the gigantic amount of debris that has gone through these inlets. I know someone who watched his house disappear. It really is a catastrophic scene down there. Maybe call the marina at Atlantic Highlands to see what their condition is before going in to anchor.

Last edited by smurphny; 11-04-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-04-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I received this in an Email from South Jersey Marina...a few days ago:

http://sjys.createsend3.com/t/ViewEm...4D01E12DB8921D
Old 11-04-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

Quote:
The Jersey shore is still off limits
What is that supposed to mean? That it isn't permitted to enter Manasquan, Barnegat or Absecon, or any of the other NJ inlets? I'm also heading south, but am in the Erie Canal at the moment and will post info as I get it from my contacts in the industry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-04-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Tommi, you might pick the inlets you are interested in, then call the local USCG or Seatow (etc) to enquire how thing are. They may both be rather busy but the USCG is really good at answering questions, if an inlet is actually closed or dangerous they'll let you know about it. Odds are they may say "We just don't know" unless it is a commercial inlet and they've seen traffic in it.

Your local USCG station may have an even better answer for you, they usually know who to pass questions to if there's no local answer.
canucksailorguy likes this.
Old 11-04-2012
Canuck Sailor

Hellosailor makes a good point there about contacting the USCG or Boat US or SeaTow for info. Oince you're headed out from NYC, Cape May is only about 20 - 25 hours from you - 118 nm if I recall correctly. Your best bet is to just pick a good weather window and go for it since there are two of you. If you have to get in, Absecon - Atlantic City - is your best bet, since it's a much bigger and well used inlet.
Cape May has an excellent anchorage just to the north of the dock at the Coast Guard station - if you want to get ashore while there, you can anchor on the other side of that dock, by the Corinthian Yacht Club in about 8 feet, and use their dinghy dock - I'm presuming it is still there. Cape May didn't get hit nearly as hard as even a bit further north from what I've heard.

Old 11-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailorguy View Post
What is that supposed to mean? That it isn't permitted to enter Manasquan, Barnegat or Absecon, or any of the other NJ inlets? I'm also heading south, but am in the Erie Canal at the moment and will post info as I get it from my contacts in the industry.
The damage from Seaside to Manasquan was so severe that no one is allowed on, even to check to see if their houses are still standing. State Police have been brought in to patrol the place. There is no prediction as to when anyone will be allowed back. The bridge at Manasquan is washed out where he sea broke through. With these kinds of conditions, be careful and call ahead. Buoys may have moved, sandbars may have appeared where there were none before, the remnants of many houses are floating about and sunk boats may be under the surface.
Old 11-04-2012
Canuck Sailor

Oh CRAP! CRAP CRAP CRAP. That's not good at all. I'm singlehanding and NYC to Cape May is a bit of a long day. How about Barnegat? Same there?
fyi, this trip has been a struggle right from leaving Georgian Bay....high winds, no winds, lots of wind from the wrong direction, always the wrong direction....
Did I say CRAP? If I didn't hate the cold so much, I'd park the boat and stay in Canada for the winter.
CRAP!

Old 11-04-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Canuk..I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but there's a winter storm coming that should begin to show itself in the NY area by Tuesday evening....you might want to look for a safe place to hang out for a few days?
canucksailorguy likes this.
Old 11-04-2012
Canuck Sailor

...and your name is Tempest....go figure. I'll be on the Erie Canal at that point, so no problems, for once. This trip has been nothing but brutal - I have never, in all the miles I've done, ever worked so hard to get so little mileage under the keel.