Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
biology-
"OTC meds I've got cover the scope of what I hopefully won't need!! ibuprofen, tylenol, ASA, cough and cold, cough drops, anti-diarrhea, antihistamine (diphenhydramine and loratadine), antacids.... Wal-mart recently had generic bottles of most all of these for $0.88 a bottle and I loaded up"
Damn, we must have been taking the same drugs, because I've got a 99c bottle of 100 aspirin with a 2009 date on it. But when I went to look for replacements this summer, even at WallyWorld, everything else was 6-12 pills for $4-5 and the aspirin weren't 99c anymore either. WTF happened to the costs of simple pain meds?!

The 4x4 gauze pads (and if you can't fix something with 4x4 pads and a bandage roll, it probably needs a medevac) are incredibly cheap on Amazon.com, of all the unlikely places. Hospitals buy these by the crate, some folks are splitting the crate and selling a dozen individually sealed rolls for $5 or so, instead of the incredible prices at the discount drug chains. (3x-4x higher?! Again, WTF?!)

Brian, IIRC Lomotil is not an RX drug, it is a common anti-diarrheal. Coupla bucks for 50-100 generic pills in WallyWorld. For South Florida residents, you can also get a weeks worth of Cipro (RX needed) free from the Publix Supermarket pharmacies. Not the same as Zithromycin but still a useful antibiotic. They fill a number of scripts free, and they're not a bad place to shop. (G)

I'd have to agree that guns have no place in the first aid kit or the ditch bag. Some folks would say, that's just not right, what if you are carrying horses on board, like the sailors did in the 1600s, and one of them has to be put down? Shouldn't you have a 45 in the kit to put it out of it's misery? Hellno, you'll never hear the end of it from PETA, ask your vet for the correct meds to use, if you have horses onboard. Don't mess with PETA.

Avery, if you flew 9xxx hours and never broke anything, you weren't testing it hard enough! (VBG)

Depending on the value of your time...the expensive premade kits do have one advantage, in that they are often compartmentalized to stow things nicely. Somehow, packing a med kit is always a case of fitting round pegs in square holes, or vice versa.
Lomotil is a Sch V drug. It is for anti-diahreah, you are correct. I know that in both Washington and Florida you have to have doc permit and it is controlled. Not sure about NY.

Cipro is another great drug which we carry. It is one of the best for marine related infections (I stepped on a sea urchin once... which hurts like the dickens, btw). It is almost impossible to dig out those spikes, and inevitably it gets infected.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ah, I've apparently been confusing lomotil with loperamide (imodium) all my life! From a quick read though, the loperamide (imodium, etc.) seems to be equally effective with no rx required, even in Florida.

What they say about not knowing your, ahem, from your elbow? These drugs are for tennis elbow, right? (VBG)
Old 11-05-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27

Cruisingdad, Hellosailor and All,

Crusingdad, you really covered my 1st aid questions and the gun deal too.

I don't want any problems but did not want to be defenceless and be at the bad guys mercy. I can see where a 12 ga. flare gun would be a effective show of force and legal. I need to buy one (12 ga.) flare gun and check it out. I have a number of 12 ga. shotguns and one is modified (9 in.) long. I made/ cut this 12 ga. when I was in trade school and it's something else. I'd like to see the flare cart's and see the difference (shells vs 12 ga. flare).

Hellosailor,

The maint. test flying of UH-60 Blackhawks is a heads up business. Attention to detail (close inspect. of assemb'd. parts), sense of smell, hearing, sense of feel or feed back in controls is very important to your daily routine as a maint. pilot. I have had a few malfunctions in flight and it happens. I never busted one nor declared an emergency. I have landed without -- hydraulics, failed stabliator, lost of 1 engine, etc. . None of these failures were a big deal and luck is always good to have too. It's all about following the right emer. procedure and (cont.) life is good & no crash them.

I'm planning on using the same training values in learning/ refresher (sailing) of my new craft. I'm searching for a couple experienced skippers (hired) to train me on my own boat. Hopefully, I can clone them and learn all I can. Most of my book learning will done at home.

I have a favorite poem to share about Mr. Gilliam, he was a daring bush piot in Alaska in the 1930 and 40's. Gilliam had saved several lives of the Eskimo's by flying them out to a hospital when they were in a bad way. A teacher asked her class to write a poem about someone or some thing. The little girl wrote -- " Gilliam, he fly'm & crash'm but no kill'm.. Gilliam." The book, " The Glaicer Pilot had this little thread in it and I still laugh. So, with my current endeavor at hand.. " Avery.. he use to fly'm but no crash'm, now he sail'm and no crash'm or sink'm.. avery ! " I'm hoping I can keep a perfect record going with the no sink'm) part.

Avery

Last edited by HighFly_27; 11-05-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"I have had a few malfunctions in flight and it happens."
I suppose you could say "MIF happens". At sea there is a similar phrase, "--it happens".

Kinda like the tail breaking off an Airbus in flight, as happened up by JFK some years ago. But I suspect that all the methodical approaches you have had over the years will work just fine for you on a boat. A keelboat is basically a fixed-wing aircraft with one wing (the keel) in the water, and the other wing shapeable. As long as you don't try something foolish like making it into a rotary-wing aircraft, you should be OK. (G)
Old 11-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Ah, I've apparently been confusing lomotil with loperamide (imodium) all my life! From a quick read though, the loperamide (imodium, etc.) seems to be equally effective with no rx required, even in Florida.

What they say about not knowing your, ahem, from your elbow? These drugs are for tennis elbow, right? (VBG)
Similar except one will stop you up for a few hours, the other a few days!! FYI, in the military, these are often called Pucker Pills... or so I have been told.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-05-2012

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
biology-
Somehow, packing a med kit is always a case of fitting round pegs in square holes, or vice versa.
I'm finding this out to be very very true. My mother was a medic for several years and acquired quite an array of stuff. When I asked her if she could recommend some stuff for a med kit she just put together a nice kits complete with splints, CV-collar, Lots of burn treatments and bandages, etc. It's been great, but all together it's a mess and kind of tough to find any particular thing when you need it, even to attempt to re-orgainize. I was considering looking around for a used or empty pre-made kit just to have the different color coded packets. If I could find one of the high end pre-made kits without any of the contents, for cheap or relatively cheap, I would grab that up and fill out any of the contents that I didn't already have or were outdated.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 11-05-2012

biology is on a distinguished road

@hellosailor... yeah, I got those meds at wal-mart just the other week.. they were all mixed up in a huge mid-aisle bin. I rummaged and found what I needed. They've been on sale like that a couple times. I think it's luck hitting the sales (and stocking up when you can).

Another thing to mention is a thermometer... I don't like the battery types for a kit that'll be stowed. Just something else to maintain and who knows what'll happen if they get soaked. Stick with old school!

Also, I'd recommend going to a travel clinic/physician. You can google them and find one in your area. Make an appt. and pop in. You discuss your travel plans with an MD and they'll make sure you're immunized for wherever you're going, plus give you some good travel advice for medical situations that may arise there. They can also discuss travel medical insurance as your regular insurance probably won't apply. Most travel medical insurance covers getting you state-side asap in the case of a medical emergency. That type of critical care transport can be seriously expensive (I worked and taught as a Paramedic for a long long time: I teach Anatomy and Physiology at a college now). The other nice thing about a travel clinic is they'll Rx antibiotics or other meds that may come in handy for your trip. I went to one before a couple different trips to Guyana teaching emergency medicine to nurses there (that would then teach pre-hospital EMT skills to others: since there are only a handful of ambulances in the entire country... and good luck finding one staffed with a driver... none the less a driver with medical training).

(other supplies not mentioned before that are good to have: cravats for sling/swath, triple antibiotic ointment, GOOD tweezers, a couple sterile needles for draining wounds, some syringes for irrigating wounds (or use a zip loc bag and poke a hole in it.. those work fantastic to irrigate wounds), and tegaderm is cool stuff for skin tears)
Old 11-05-2012

And while ER docs hate it, Quick Clot or BloodStop or similar powder that forms an instant scab and seals a wound. If someone has a wound and it is appropriate to simply get it stopped and sealed, these powders work very nicely. Of course in the ER they're all upset because they have to wash it off before they can see the wound, but hey, that's life.
Old 11-05-2012

biology is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the quick clot stuff is unpopular with the surgeons as they have more debridement to do. But if it helps you survive to get to surgery, they can deal with it!

Or you could pull a rambo and cauterize with powder from a bullet... right!?!?!?!? or use a flare... or rig your alcohol stove as a flame thrower... hmmm I must be forgetting other options.
Old 11-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Meds are a topic that can get way off into the weeds on these forums but basic FA kits need to be able to 1. stop bleeding, 2. control shock, 3. provide some method to initiate breathing, 4. to immobilize broken bones. Most FA kits have WAY too few cravats. Cravats are useful for many, many things. They also do not have enough BIG gauze pads because of their bulk nor enough rolls of tape. This kind of mechanical stuff is what you'll need in most things that happen on a boat, or anywhere else for that matter. For breathing, an AMBU bag or some sort of mouthpiece would be a good addition unless you like mouth-mouth. Some airways would also be very useful in a worst-case situation. Pieces of wood and ;adder splints are good to have for splinting. A 6' 1x4 with holes in the ends can be used to apply traction in a pinch as well as immobilize hip injuries.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.