Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!

I'll try to get something this evening for You Tube. I have a video camera for just that purpose, but not sure how it will work in subdued lighting. I'll give it my best shot.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2012

Unfortunately, the lighting at the Tiki Bar last night was much too subdued to shot any video, therefore, I'll try to have someone shoot some during my next daylight job. The humidity here was so high last night that I had to wipe all the equipment down with alcohol sponges and leave the cases open in the air conditioned cabin to get every thing moisture free. Moisture can be really dangerous when it comes to electronic music gear. Today, the temperature is in the low to mid 80s, humidity is still very high, but this is subject to change in the next few days.

Cheers from Marathon City Marina,

Gary
Old 12-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

It's a long winter. I'll look forward to seeing it, when you can get it.

Any chance that one of those jumbo vacuum storage bags would help aboard? They make them big enough to climb in. Need a shop vac though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-09-2012

Nah. The only corrective measure for ridding the humidity is air conditioning. There's a couple boats here that have fairly quiet generators that run everything on the boat, including the air and heat. They pay for themselves pretty quickly when compared to the cost of being in a $750 a month per month slip. Plus, it's a lot cooler out on the hook or mooring ball than being inshore at the slip, so the air wouldn't run nearly as much.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 12-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Got it. I was thinking that once you get it dried out, the bag may keep it that way, without needing permanent AC on.

You can also buy desiccant bags by the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-09-2012

Not a bad idea, but keep in mind that my music gear fills the entire 5 X 8 - foot quarter berth. Everything is in fabric cases, but eventually, the salt air and moisture takes it toll.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 12-09-2012

How do you know when it's sunset in Marathon - someone across the harbor blows a very loud horn that looks like the one in the Ricola Cough Drop commercial every day at sunset. Neat.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 12-09-2012

Alternative for the yacht club signal cannon? Love the cannons, but they always catch me by surprise. A good ole ReeeeeeeeeeeCoLaaaaaaaa would be less startling.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-11-2012

Well, yesterday turned out to be another fun day in Paradise, a day that put an entirely new meaning to the work "Cruising."

I'm currently at the dock at Marathon City Marina, mainly to take advantage of having electricity, water, showers, etc..., which is not only for my personal comfort, but additionally, to protect my musical equipment, which is very expensive and subject to the elements. Electronics, all electronics, including marine, tend not to have a long life span when subjected to the harsh, marine environment. So, in this instance, air conditioning is a necessity. Plus, I also enjoy the comfort, especially while sleeping.

Yesterday afternoon, sometime about 4 p.m., the air conditioner/heat-pump began acting up. It was cutting out, then kicked back in, ran for about 20 seconds, then kicked out, leaving just the system's fan operating and circulating hot, humid air. By 5 p.m., the temperature in the cabin was 85 and becoming very damp. It took about an hour to determine that the raw-water pump was cutting out. The manual for the pump said there may be an obstruction - NOT! It suggested several other scenarios, none of which were correct.

Finally, I removed the pump, took it apart, connected it to 110-volts and it ran for about 20 seconds before the thermal cut-off switch shut it down. That was with no load whatsoever. I was getting ready to spend another restless night sleeping in the heat and humidity when an idea struck my tiny brain.

I had a backup saltwater washdown pump sitting in the locker, one that ran on 12-volts, and put out about 3-gallons per minute. I jury-rigged it into the air conditioning system, connected the hoses, then ran wires from the pump to a cigarette lighter plug in adapter extension cable that has an on/off switch. The rigging took about 2 hours. I fired up the system and wallah - I had air conditioning.

Finding a replacement pump on the internet was not easy. The original pump was no longer being made, repairs cost more than a new pump, and after 2 hours of searching I found a pump suitable for the job. It's a Jabsco that runs on 115-volts, which is what comes out of the AC controller box. Today, the outside temperature is 85 and humid - right now, in the cabin, it's 70 and dry. Life is good.

Cheers from Paradise,

Gary
wingNwing and HDChopper like this.
Old 12-11-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
How do you know when it's sunset in Marathon - someone across the harbor blows a very loud horn that looks like the one in the Ricola Cough Drop commercial every day at sunset. Neat.
This is also a tradition in Swan Creek anchorage at sunset. We have a horn whic mimicks s conch to use too because I cannot for the life of me make any sounds with any of the conches I have here at home ( picked most of them up on the beach in Sanibel, Florida where we have a condo.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner