Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!

Good on ya Gary.
It's good to hear you check in and know that you are well and having a good time.
Fair winds!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
It has been a real treat this week sailing with Gary. Great person, great boat and great music. Both the boat and Gary having been treating me like a queen. Might never leave. Trying to turn the boat toward the Bahamas and beyond.:>).
Those Green Coconut Margaritas are Deadly and Oh so good!
Chasing Sunsets and getting serenata on the ICW!
jrd22, DRFerron, Faster and 6 others like this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 11-05-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

sounds like a great trip, glad the tough part is behind you
Old 11-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Good for you Gary and Melissa! Look forward to catching up soon. BTW, Gary, I am in the Tortugas first week of December (nudge, nudge).

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-05-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Good to hear that things are going great for you Gary!

So, awhile back in a discussion about boat heaters, I seem to remember your recomendation about a nice comforter from Bed Bath & Beyond & ..... LOL

Have fun & enjoy!
Old 11-05-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

My wonderful lady Mel left me tonight. She has only been gone for a few hours and I already miss this charming woman. Hopefully, we'll get together again at the end of the month and caravan down the keys.

We did an overnighter down the coast, about 25 miles offshore from just below Paris Island, NC and hoped to make Saint Augustine by noon the next day. The weather turned real nasty just after midnight, wind switched around and pushed us farther east, about 30 miles offshore, and the waves and swells were such that making headway was just about impossible. Finally gave up and headed due west for Fernadino Beach, got there about 10 a.m., had lunch, then motored down the ICW to Jacksonville Beach where we spent the night.

During the 5 days Mel has been with me I've managed to regain some of my sanity, which I was slowly loosing. She won't admit it, but she really taught me a lot, for which I'm eternally grateful.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 11-06-2012

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Gary -
I'm tied up at Marineland Marina (between St. Augustine and Daytona) and I'm equipped with a car should you need anything when you pass this way. Boat is a trimaran named Mandolin.
Old 11-06-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

It's a chilly, rainy day here at Saint Augustine, and when my brother gets here at about 10 a.m. I hope to get underway. Just 21 miles to his home in Palm Coast, about a 4-hour motor down the ICW, so I have two hours to get the boat ready to go.

I thought this might be a good time to post some of my observations about the trip. First and foremost, going solo down the ICW is not without mixed emotions. Much of the length, at least from Florida to Norfolk, can be very lonely in October. I left the Chesapeake's upper reaches October 2nd, which as it turns out, was prior to the departure of most of the waterway's snowbird population. Consequently, for much of the past 1077 miles I have been the only boat in sight. This can be a bit disconcerting, particularly when the weather gets nasty, or thoughts begin running through your mind that it could be a huge problem if the engine suddenly died. This would be a bad situation in those stretches of waterway where the channel is 100-feet wide at best and the currents are running at 4 knots. No place to anchor, lots of snags and rocks, bugs big as hummingbirds, and of course, the ever present no-se-ums.

If your boat draft is more than 5 feet, there are lots of places, particularly in Georgia and North Carolina, where you WILL run aground. No question about it. Additionally, there are markers and buoys off station, bridge schedules to contend with, and worst of all, charts that are decades out of date. A quality GPS Plotter is an absolute necessity, both for offshore and in the ICW. However, because of the problems associated with charts being out of date, you must keep in mind that those charts are the exact, same charts that have been loaded into your GPS/Plotter, therefore the accuracy is the same. The big difference is with the GPS you have the ability to look directly at your position while winding through a very, very narrow waterway. This observation reinforces what many will tell you - trying to run the ICW in darkness is insane. I've had just one occasion to do a short segment, a couple miles, in darkness. It's frightening at best.

Offshore, the GPS/Plotter charts are far more accurate, but there are still hazards. You can run aground 4 miles from shore, often in an area that shows 20 feet on the charts. We did that about 130 miles north of Saint Augustine. Fortunately, a shrimper called on the radio and told us which direction to head and we were able to get free very quickly with no damage.

Communications of several forms is a must. A VHF in the cockpit is your best friend, which in my case is a handheld, waterproof model that can reach out about a mile or so to the bridges and marinas. The VHF in the cabin at the map table is just about useless when your alone on the ICW or offshore in nasty weather. Cellular connection is fair to good in most locations, however, there are locations where there is NO cellular connection. My cell phone died yesterday, and at this point I have only intermittent connection at best. Looks as if the marine moisture got to the innards, and there's a distinct possibility that I'll be purchasing a new one this afternoon.

Keeping in touch with the family and friends back home is as easy as the touch of the OK button on my Spot Satellite Messenger. This is one of the best invenstments any cruiser can make. When my cell phone crashed I was able to let the wife and children know that I hadn't vanished from the face of the earth.

Internet connections with a tiny antenna inserted into the USB port have been fair to frustrating. Many places offer WI-FI, but the systems are frequently overloaded and slow. When my cell died I was able to also let my wife know I was OK by sending her an email and telling her why I hadn't called.

These are just MY obversations, and I'm sure there are folks out there with other opinions. I would really enjoy reading some posts from individuals that have actually made this trip during the past 5 years. I've always felt that any knowledge I can garner is helpful, especially from those that have preceded me in their cruise down the ICW.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 11-06-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Gary,

I've long been curious about how you've been faring, your trip report is very interesting. Hopefully Melissa has added to your toolset so that you can better manage things on your own, if you have to.

I have a M33 O/I parked next to me in my marina, so I've finally got an idea of what you're sailing. My limited experience tells me that you made the right choice of motoring down the ICW, where as I would use it to get past Cape Hatteras, and then pop back out, and sail down the rest of the coast in open water. I think my 5' draft would make the ICW a real hassle to do it for the long haul.

It sounds like you're not really a big fan of solitude. There are ways to deal with that. Even though you'll probably never race, there are some very good documents and studies of single-handed Transpac racers that can shed some insight on how people deal with long periods of isolation that may help you.

One fellow on SN (Foolish Muse?) has written a great single-handers guide. It's FREE, and I highly recommend it.

I'm glad you're ok, and that your journey is nearing it's end.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Gary,

Living vicariously though you. Glad you were able to have Mels company for the last few days. She always has great posts here so I am sure she was a spirit lifter.

Now you are getting to where you set out to be. Please enjoy the smell of the roses and stay away from the hummingbird sized bugs down there. In Florida they look like and sound like helicopters.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner