Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!

Gary - pretty good writeup, you've covered all the major points that we noticed also.

We also draw 5' and have not had trouble running aground on the ICW. I assume that is a lot easier with two than with one, as one of us acts as navigator and communications and the other is helmsman. We also check Cruisersnet.net religiously for updates on shoals and inlets.

Our posts about our trips are in our blog, Life Afloat Archives Our most recent trip, St Augustine FL to Annapolis MD last spring, starts here Life Afloat Archives: Turning our Bow Towards Home and just keep clicking on "newer post" at the bottom left.

BTW, links to websites and guidebooks for ICW are at Life Afloat Archives: Sources of Information for the ICW Trip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I've read many books on single-handed sailing, most were pretty informative, and I have a couple new ones on the boat. I guess my biggest problem with solitude is that I've always been a people person - that's why I'm an entertainer/musician/singer. I have the absolutely best job on the planet, and in my profession I come in contact with hundreds of people every day. In the world of entertainment it's called schmoozing with the audience. When I'm alone for days on end and there's no one to sing to other than myself, well, for me at least, lets just say it's a bit difficult.

Another 180 miles to Stuart, where with any kind of luck I'll be entertaining at a local American Legion for about two or three weeks, then off to Miami to meet up with Mel and a few of her lady friends. A couple days later we should all be in the land of beautiful water, palm trees and warmer temperatures. With any kind of luck I'll be singing my heart out at the Hurricane's Tiki Bar a couple nights a week.

Wing, that second set of eyes is a wonderful assett I wish I had. It's somewhat difficult to look at the chartbook, the companion book, day markers, depth finder, GPS/Plotter, etc..., and still have enough time to avoid the snags. I've only shot about 40 photos thus far, which is a fraction of what I hoped to have in the can by now. Can't get the camera out while steering the boat and not hit something in the process.

I was astonished yesterday when a nice bunch of folks at the city dock in Saint Augustine gave me some high 5's for manuevering the boat and backing into the slip while the current and wind were trying to push me somewhere else. I always like to back into a slip, mainly because it's a lot easier to get out under less than ideal conditions.

More to come, and with luck, some great photos in the very near future.

Gary
Old 11-07-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I've always been a people person -travlineasy
thats true about you,,,you are that

and a flirt:laug her

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-07-2012

I just checked tomorrow's weather, looks pretty good, so with any kind of luck I'll be getting out of here about 9 a.m. and head south to meet up with an old friend in Jupiter. Thought about going outside and exiting Ponce de Leon Inlet, but had second thoughts because there didn't seem to be a lot of locations where I could easily duck back in. Gonna' take another look at the charts tomorrow before departing - just to be on the safe side.

Dave, you've got my number - I love the ladies one and all, especially the many wonderful gals I've met on the sailnet. And, if I were a lot younger, single, and better looking I guess I would be in a lot of trouble.

Stay Tuned,

Gary
momclarissa likes this.
Old 11-08-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I just checked tomorrow's weather, looks pretty good, so with any kind of luck I'll be getting out of here about 9 a.m. and head south to meet up with an old friend in Jupiter. Thought about going outside and exiting Ponce de Leon Inlet, but had second thoughts because there didn't seem to be a lot of locations where I could easily duck back in. Gonna' take another look at the charts tomorrow before departing - just to be on the safe side.

Dave, you've got my number - I love the ladies one and all, especially the many wonderful gals I've met on the sailnet. And, if I were a lot younger, single, and better looking I guess I would be in a lot of trouble.

Stay Tuned,

Gary
Love the ladies??? And here I thought I was the one. Ummm.....
Hope you had a great time at your brothers house and got a few boat chores done. Miss you lots. My boat is all torn apart fixing the head. See you in a few weeks.
Mel
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 11-08-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

When we were in the marina in St Aug we used to love sitting in the cockpit and just watching the show, people trying to dock who didn't know the currents through there, etc. Some of the best entertainment came from the folks who had bow thrusters, because with those crutches they never had to learn how to really, you know, *maneuver* their boats. (As one old-style, modified-full-keel, heavy boat owner to another, well done!)

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-08-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

You are such a good person!

Keep the stories coming
Old 11-09-2012

Lost another 10 hours to repairs, 5 yesterday and 5 today. The stuffing box was dripping pretty hard, which really has me worried. Two boat yards later, $40 shelled out, and it's still leaking, but not quite as fast. Hopefully, when I get to Stuart I'll be able to find someone that knows what they're doing.

I left the second boat yard this afternoon at 1 p.m., crossed Ponce de Leon Inlet, thought about heading offshore, but after looking at the charts I quickly discovered there was no place to come back in for more than 100 miles. Didn're relish the thought of heaving too 20 or 30 miles offshore and grabbing some shut eye. OH how I miss Melissa.

Consequently, I stayed inside, ran the ditch with the jib sail out and averaged about 7 MPH, which isn't bad for motorsailing with the engine at about 1800 RPM. I figured I would make Titusville, Florida by 5:30 p.m.. WRONG! Darkness set in at 5:30, no moon, no stars, and 4 blinding lights on the shore that destroyed any hope of night vision. Therefore navigating in these tight quarters was GPS/Plotter ONLY.

When the night turned pitch black, I got my spotlight out of the locker and quickly discovered the damned lithium batteries were dead as a doornail, so I dug out my trusty maglight. Turned on the light at the first day-marker, the bulb flashed and it went dead. The only light remaining was a tiny LED flashlight with 7 bulbs that was intended for home use. It lit up the markers from a distance of about 40 feet.

I was able to sloooooly pick my way into Titusville Municipal Marina in inky darkness, and with the help of the dock master I'm tied up. It was a very looooong day, I just finshed dinner at 8 p.m., then fired up the PC.

Mel, you ARE the ONLY ONE! Honest. I promise not to stray.

Gary
HDChopper likes this.
Old 11-10-2012
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road

LOL Mel you got a friend for life

Glad you got in Gary one can never have to much light!
I hear you about fixing , That is the reason I got into mech'in & fixing professionally got tired of paying (& good I might add) for something to be done and it still wasn't correct!
Nothing to do but "If you want it done right you got to do it yourself" forever for me...

Very glad to see you are useing prudence and wisdom for your adventures stay safe keep warm and have fun!
Old 11-10-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Gary, training found me yesterday and I am on an airplane now heading for Dallas. Wish I was with you instead. Be careful out there and don't forget the sunscreen!
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.