Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Question regarding Rocna Anchor's Roll Bar

Capt Grimek,

Mainesail has pretty much said exactly how I feel also about all the new gen anchors. Although I only have a NZ Rocna and a Mantus. In the 4 or 5 years since I went to my Rocna I have only had trouble with it setting first time ( in a thick grassy bottom) and have yet to drag anchor. I have used in av variety of conditions. We keep the boat in the Chesapeake, but also travel to the LI Sound and New England for 3+ weeks every summer.

Mainesail actual did pretty sophisticated tests. Maybe he would e mail them too you.Also when I bought my Rocna from NZ the manson Supreme was not available as of yet. I beleive it is an equal comparioson and somehwat cheaper also. The Mantus is relatively new this year and has the advabataghe of being able to take apart and stow in a smaller footprint.

Most I have talked to who use these anchors have had the same stunning rsults and remark how abruptly it sets and digs in immediately.

No anchor does well in EVERY condition but these three seem to do well universally in most, The

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012

Capt. Grimek is on a distinguished road

Thanks again Chef. I'll definitely start paying more attention to the newer anchors and talk with other boaters in anchorages about them. I'm a traditionalist but not closed minded either!
Just added my profile. Fantastic forum. Gonna stick around! It's fun to be re-invigorated about newer/changes in gear after changing boats (or about to).
Cheers.

Last edited by Capt. Grimek; 11-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2012

sck5 is on a distinguished road

lots of people love their rocnas. I am one. Never a problem anchoring out in the Caribbean - Always held no matter how the trades were blowing. Wouldnt trade it for a cqr ever.
Old 11-06-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Grimek View Post
I've been looking at Rocnas on the dock and even though the plow portion looks good, that tall curved roll bar cries out one big concern for me. A friend and local broker said he had the same concerns looking at them.

My question is: When anchored in a blow and less seamanlike owner's boats
are dragging down on your location, aren't those tall semi-circular roll bars
just "begging" for a neighbor's dragging anchor fluke or plow tip to enter, continue dragging enough to pull out your anchor? Or at the least tip it on it's side enough that the neighbor's anchor won't let yours reset?

I can't imagine this not being a risk. Can owners explain why this would not be
of concern?

I've been using a CQR oversized for over 30 years in the Pacific N.W. in trying situations and have no desire to change, but I'm interested in looking over the "new generation" anchors to see what they offer.
That "hoop" on the Rocna raised our eyebrows.

For WA State and B.C. sailors here, it's Nanaimo,B.C./ Newcastle Is. Anchorage that comes to mind primarily. Seen many people drag in a S.W.er there and many people don't use adequate scope, etc. We haven't ever dragged in 30 years other than 2 initial "trial" sets. It' the other guy I'm worried about....so far ;-)
Given Nanaimo BC's increasing hostility towards cruisers, anchoring there may soon be a moot point. The downtown basin has been sold to Washington Marine Group, a group which has been asking $5 an hour for visitors to park their dinghy, and is selling slips to private owners for up to $65,000 each.
Their moorage rates send a clear message to cruisers, only the filthy rich are welcome in Nanaimo. Many are passing it by, and elsewhere there is no shortage of anchorages where there is little chance of anyone dragging down on you.

I have been considering using a roll bar on a delta type anchor, to simplify construction and galvanizing. Has anyone tried that?
Old 11-06-2012

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

Brent

I am thinking the same as you where it comes to welding a roll bar on my Delta anchor. The anchors are pretty similar other wise.

Mitch
Old 11-06-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Uh... no,

The Delta is a type of plow anchor. The blade is concave in relation to the shank, whereas the blade on a Rocna is convex in relation to the shank. To make a Delta work similarly to a Rocna or Manson, you would have to remove the shank, and weld it to the other side of the blade. I still doubt that it would work as well..

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Brent

I am thinking the same as you where it comes to welding a roll bar on my Delta anchor. The anchors are pretty similar other wise.

Mitch
They couldn't be more different. The convex vs concave plow is a huge difference.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Tri it mitch and report back...maybe you create another different type of new generation anchor

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-22-2013

Capt. Ty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Grimek View Post
I've been looking at Rocnas on the dock and even though the plow portion looks good, that tall curved roll bar cries out one big concern for me. A friend and local broker said he had the same concerns looking at them.

My question is: When anchored in a blow and less seamanlike owner's boats
are dragging down on your location, aren't those tall semi-circular roll bars
just "begging" for a neighbor's dragging anchor fluke or plow tip to enter, continue dragging enough to pull out your anchor? Or at the least tip it on it's side enough that the neighbor's anchor won't let yours reset?

I can't imagine this not being a risk. Can owners explain why this would not be
of concern?

I've been using a CQR oversized for over 30 years in the Pacific N.W. in trying situations and have no desire to change, but I'm interested in looking over the "new generation" anchors to see what they offer.
That "hoop" on the Rocna raised our eyebrows.

For WA State and B.C. sailors here, it's Nanaimo,B.C./ Newcastle Is. Anchorage that comes to mind primarily. Seen many people drag in a S.W.er there and many people don't use adequate scope, etc. We haven't ever dragged in 30 years other than 2 initial "trial" sets. It' the other guy I'm worried about....so far ;-)
I just read your Rochna post of nov. 2013. Strange but true, this actually happened to me yesterday, English Harbor, Antigua. I watched a charter group come into the anchorage. They dropped 60 feet in a 20 ft. water depth. Catamaran, lagoon 40. They started to drag and as they raised their anchor they violently did a swing to starboard. I had my sights on them and lo and behold up came my Rochna anchor. Lucky for me I had 180 feet of chain out from the boat and I did not move. Their anchor had dragged right through the roll bar and had locked in place. It took 4 people, two in dinghies, to disentangle the anchors. This is the first time in 3 years this has happened. It is a real risk and not to be diminished. Mine is a 55 lb. Rochna, and it came up nicely!
Old 03-24-2013

Capt. Grimek is on a distinguished road

Capt. Ty, thank you for re-affirming that this Old "superstitious about changing up his gear"
Salt isn't crazy after all :-) That roll bar just looked like it was begging for such an event to me even though I was told I was claiming the sky was falling :-0
You've done me a service by reaffirming my concerns and by letting people know that this is indeed a real possibility.