Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Question regarding Rocna Anchor's Roll Bar

If enough sailors anchor out enough times, I suspect that anything, no matter how statistically unlikely, will eventually happen ...

We've had our Rocna since 2009; 2 round trips ICW and back Chesapeake to Bahamas/Florida with lots of anchoring in lots of conditions. In all that time, we dragged once, and that was in a *tornado!!* On two separate occaisionsions, unattended boats our size or larger dragged into us (one in a gale at 3 AM, isn't that always when these kinds of things happen?). Our Rocna held BOTH boats for hours and didn't move until we could get the owners back and get them separated. Neither case was the roll-bar issue you are concerned about; my satisfaction with the anchor is based on the fact that it held much more than its rated load.
SVAuspicious and eherlihy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I concur with wingNwing. I've had my main Rocna since 2006 and my secondary Rocna since about 2009. While I haven't been dragged down on I did hold a four boat raftup through an afternoon Chesapeake Bay thunderstorm.

I can also add that when fully set the Rocna roll bar is generally fully buried. Accordingly it is no more likely to catch the anchor of a dragging boat than is your chain. The story told is a great story to tell at the bar but should not contribute to the decision-making process when selecting an anchor.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
As an aside, CG, BC's favourite 'dragging ground' at Newcastle is now mostly a mooring buoy field.. the park people installed them over last winter. They seem well used and appear to be addressing the various issues that plagued that bay - and anchoring/inside among the new buoys is forbidden (in all of Mark Bay).
Nanaimo is about to become a non issue for most cruisers, as the down town docks are about to be sold to a private company, with a reputation for charging huge fees for dingy access, putting it off limits for all but the rich.