Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Question regarding Rocna Anchor's Roll Bar

If enough sailors anchor out enough times, I suspect that anything, no matter how statistically unlikely, will eventually happen ...

We've had our Rocna since 2009; 2 round trips ICW and back Chesapeake to Bahamas/Florida with lots of anchoring in lots of conditions. In all that time, we dragged once, and that was in a *tornado!!* On two separate occaisionsions, unattended boats our size or larger dragged into us (one in a gale at 3 AM, isn't that always when these kinds of things happen?). Our Rocna held BOTH boats for hours and didn't move until we could get the owners back and get them separated. Neither case was the roll-bar issue you are concerned about; my satisfaction with the anchor is based on the fact that it held much more than its rated load.
SVAuspicious and eherlihy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I concur with wingNwing. I've had my main Rocna since 2006 and my secondary Rocna since about 2009. While I haven't been dragged down on I did hold a four boat raftup through an afternoon Chesapeake Bay thunderstorm.

I can also add that when fully set the Rocna roll bar is generally fully buried. Accordingly it is no more likely to catch the anchor of a dragging boat than is your chain. The story told is a great story to tell at the bar but should not contribute to the decision-making process when selecting an anchor.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-25-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
As an aside, CG, BC's favourite 'dragging ground' at Newcastle is now mostly a mooring buoy field.. the park people installed them over last winter. They seem well used and appear to be addressing the various issues that plagued that bay - and anchoring/inside among the new buoys is forbidden (in all of Mark Bay).
Nanaimo is about to become a non issue for most cruisers, as the down town docks are about to be sold to a private company, with a reputation for charging huge fees for dingy access, putting it off limits for all but the rich.
Old 01-10-2015

dwb is on a distinguished road

Roger that. The roll bar can get buried under the right conditions.

The design actually 'flies' through the water when you drop it, and always seems to land point down for me. In fact that's a hassle when raising it, as the boat's forward motion will make the anchor hit the bow rollers backwards. But I've learned to deal with it.

One thing about the roll bar that no one mentions: When anchored long term, or in conditions with changing tides and breezes, I believe that it helps avoid having your rode foul on the shank or flukes by guiding the chain over the anchor.

Wal
s/v Stella Blue (gee, my first post since the Boyles sold SailNet)

----
The chances of the anchor of your neighbor perfectly intersecting the hoop on your anchor is probably much less than their anchor with a short scope scooping up your chain.

So the real question is if the hoop will help your anchor rotate properly to dig in.
Old 01-10-2015

aloof is on a distinguished road

With anecdotal and circumstantial evidence all the rage in anchor boasting, here's mine: I usually use a 15 pound aluminum fortress with 30 feet of chain. More chain if there is coral or sharp rock. 50 foot, 10 ton boat. Have "never dragged" except places where everybody drags due to some smooth hard bottom or dense weed. Full time, long time, cruiser in remote tropical places. And I'm not the only one doing so.
Old 01-10-2015

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

..... so what I'm hearing here is that if everyone just used a Rocna (or Mantus) there'd be no more of this "draggin" goin on.
Old 01-10-2015
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
With anecdotal and circumstantial evidence all the rage in anchor boasting, here's mine: I usually use a 15 pound aluminum fortress with 30 feet of chain. More chain if there is coral or sharp rock. 50 foot, 10 ton boat. Have "never dragged" except places where everybody drags due to some smooth hard bottom or dense weed. Full time, long time, cruiser in remote tropical places. And I'm not the only one doing so.
Only a 15lb for your 50ft boat? What is your boat? I just got a 21lb for 47ft boat that weighs appx 15 ton. What size chain you use, I was thinking 3/8 SS for the short length I'll use for the fortress. I have heard nothing but good things about the fortress, and the fact I don't have a windlass now and the price was unbeatable("refurbished" BP oil spill anchor from defender) I went with it. It will be a back/kedge anchor later on.

When I do get a mantus I was thinking 5/16 G40 for the main anchor down the road..

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 01-10-2015

aloof is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Only a 15lb for your 50ft boat? What is your boat?
Oooops. I just looked it up. It's a 10 pounder. Heh. It has more projected fluke area than steel anchors 5 times the weight, maybe. Imagine what a 60 pounder would hold. The chain is 5/16". The boat is a sexy racer/cruiser with the chain stowed in the center, thus the reluctance to move 300 pounds of chain and anchor to load up the windlass. But I do if conditions warrant, of course. I'm not lazy or a fool, IMHO.
Old 01-10-2015
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
I'm sorry, but I think I read your post wrong. Did you mean to say a 50 foot, 10 ton boat? What exactly are you sailing?
barefootnavigator likes this.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Old 01-10-2015

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Back to the OPs original question, if a boat is dragging down on you it will hit you before the anchors collide, its simple math. I was a Delta user for more years than I can remember and loved that anchor and swore by it. When I was given a free Rocna I took it just as a test mostly because I wanted to prove that they aren't any better and all the reports were by cool aide drinking brainwashed sailors. I WAS WRONG now I'm drinking the cool aide. The Ronca is hands down the best anchor I have ever used. My fist night on it was in a full blown gale and that night I coined the term Rocna'd to sleep. My two cents is if you love your boat by one period. One thing that really gets my goat is all the talk of oversized anchors, a bower is sized to hold you in 40 knots or so sustained winds, if it packs up more than that you better start thinking of getting a second hook set. All those people that are buying oversized anchors really just need to learn to anchor properly if anything you can downsize with a new generation anchor either way they are great anchors and cheap insurance.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 01-10-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.