Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
wow, it's not often i am the gentlest voice in the crowd.

That ain't right. i may need to adjust my dosage.
I blame it on all the pent up rage at the ceaseless political ads down here -- everyone's reached their saturation point, and looking for an excuse to vent.

Not to worry, though... Starting tomorrow you'll be able to reclaim the flag as the our most er "direct" member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by porfin View Post

our most erect member
not that dosage!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

hey to the op i know how it feel to be brok and be a student im 16 and have a 27' sailboat, no job, and the boat need work. ive done what you have done and just have made it through love the water. to much you could ask some one to borrow there shop or have them help i know tons of boaters that have shops or own wearhouses or even just a big yard with a bunch of boating stuff that would help me out if i need it. just ask around even at your marina. If you really wanna make the trip motor. ive done it before, when i didn't have sails for the boat i motored it to show friends and people the boat.
Old 11-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I guess they made a center board designed PY 26? Is this correct?
This spec calls it a fin keel: PACESHIP PY26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

We've all had bad days with our boats and thought: "How in the he!! am I going to fix that?"
Time, persistence and patience usually win out if you don't give up.

If the board does not provide much weight or ballast for the boat you should be able to sail even with the board locked in the "up" position. Hopefully there is some kind of fixed keel that has some weight in it, enough to sail with perhaps reefed sails.

Here is what I think I would do.
Get a bunch of Butyl tape or your favorite kind of underwater putty - I'd use Butyl tape - easy to apply and clean up.
Loosen the pivot bolt for the top half of the board. Make sure the other half can be lowered by its pennant.
Get the diver back or get a friend to snorkel under and grab the pieces as you lower them into the water.
The Butyl tape is for helping to stop any leaking that might happen when you remove the pivot bolt or lower the other half.
Retrieve both halves of the board. Weigh it - expect it to weight around 100# so I'd want to attach lines to hold it to the boat while it is in the water - to keep both pieces from falling to the bottom.

Find a welder or metal working shop. Have them make a new core out of metal (I'd say a decent grade of Aluminum - no rust), with an oversized hole for the pivot and lifting pennant. Hopefully wont cost much more than $100. Your new core should be smaller than the overall dimensions because you are going to laminate it with epoxy and cloth to bring it up to a more appropriate thickness. Sand it smooth or fair and paint it with bottom paint. Re-install.
You might even be able to scavenge a hunk of marine grade aluminum out of a dumpster somewhere.

I'd look at this more as a blessing in disguise than a total Debbie Downer as you ought to check out the pivot pin to check for wear and the lifting fittings on the board that may need replacing too. As others have said, you are lucky it happened at the dock. Could it even have been broken or about to break when you first bought the boat? Chances are it was about to fail anyway.

My boat also has a center board and as you say, when we run aground it usually just pushes the board up, without shearing it off. It is best to keep the board mostly raised though when at a dock or moored.

Take a deep breath.

Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2012
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Dude, I've been where you are.

Full disclosure: in August of 2011, I ran aground hard against a nasty lee shore - and I only draw 3'!! I probably shouldn't have been out in the 25 that was blowing, and I sure as heck shoulda given myself a lot more time to come about off a downwind run. Lessons learned.

I left my boat being lifted by each breaker, then sickeningly thumping back into the rocky bottom. I was sure she would be in pieces by the next morning. And then I had to wait a week for the blow to settle before I could get a barge and crane out there to rescue her (which I wanted to do before the province did it for me and sent me the bill). Let's just say it cost a few boat bucks. I was lucky to have them available, though they were supposed to go for other stuff.

Waiting that week, calling the barge operator every day to see what the conditions were like, was the lowest feeling I've ever felt in my life. I regretted the day I ever got into this crazy boat ownership thing. Who needs the heartache, right?

Well, I came back one beautiful day to find my boat sitting pretty in her slip and not making a drop of water - and long story short, one long winter later, just wrapped up an amazing 2012 season with my family, friends and students.

Stick with it. It gets better.
Old 11-06-2012
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

It's kind of like my Grampa always said 'sometimes it don't get better, sometimes it just gets.'

I bought a Catalina 22 in March of this and spent three months rehabbing interior, new cushions and covers, new wiring, lights, control panel, lights, storage covers, table, companionway hatch, fenders, lines, PFDs, anchor, tuned motor and said "she's ready " and took her out.

First sail was great, loaded boat on trailer, lowered mast, five minutes into drive home trailer comes loose causing boat to slide off bunks. I pull into a parking lot, jack tongue of trailer up, hook back on truck, use a cushion on top of jack and lift boat and push her back on bunks. Surprisingly only a gouge on her bow is all tat happened.

Next day I say enough of this and rent a mooring buoy for the season. Put boat in water and everything is great, especially since we had a drought this year, no storms for a couple of months. First major storm roars in and I get call my boat is off buoy. I go out in wind and rain and sure enough boat is pushed into cove against seawall, luckily I always raise keel when tied off, after looking at everything I find out mooring cable broke at bottom of lake. I get out 300 foot of line and a life jacket and swim out to closest mooring buoy, tie up and pull boat out and secure her and swim back in.

Two days later I come out to check boat out only a couple of scratches to show for her aventure and think OK enough of this everything ought to be good for the rest of the year.

Not so fast there Bucko, a couple of weeks later I get a call from a guy on a mooring buoy next to mine that my boat is once again up against the seawall, I go out and have to get her back out to the mooring buoy, this one is not a broken cable but the ring on the bottom of the buoy. Once I get her tied off on a new buoy I notice my rudder is nowhere to be found and spend roughly three hours going from shore to the mooring buoy (ankle deep to over my head) until I find it.

Surely it can't get any worse right, well that depends on your point of view. It seems someone admired the prop so much they borrowed it and still haven't returned it, they tried to visit the interior (I'm sure to get out of the weather during a storm and not take anything). The day I pulled her for the winter I was standing on the deck and dropped my iphone and watch it sink to to bottom of the lake.

A couple of times I made half hearted comments about getting rid of her, performing an
exorcism, sacrificing a chicken or hiring that short lady from Poltergiest to do her deal and hear her say "this boat is clean " but after only having her out of the water for three weeks all I can think of is how much fun I'm going to have next year. I think I need a twelve step program, "hi my name's John and I sail "

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 11-06-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

^^^ I like this guy.

Old 11-06-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I like this thread. I like how sympathetic we were at first, then when the OP relaxed a bit, WHAM, we hit him with a big old dose of reality.
Old 11-06-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I was going to tell the OP to stop being a jackwagon...
Now THAT'S some classic therapy...

Captainmeme, GMFL and CatMan22 like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-07-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Now THAT'S some classic therapy...

One of the all time greatest commercials. My kind of therapist. I LMAO every time I see it.

Lee Ermey is great - I've watched the first 1/2 of Full Metal Jacket innumerable times just to watch him.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.