Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan22 View Post
It's kind of like my Grampa always said 'sometimes it don't get better, sometimes it just gets.'

I bought a Catalina 22 in March of this and spent three months rehabbing interior, new cushions and covers, new wiring, lights, control panel, lights, storage covers, table, companionway hatch, fenders, lines, PFDs, anchor, tuned motor and said "she's ready " and took her out.

First sail was great, loaded boat on trailer, lowered mast, five minutes into drive home trailer comes loose causing boat to slide off bunks. I pull into a parking lot, jack tongue of trailer up, hook back on truck, use a cushion on top of jack and lift boat and push her back on bunks. Surprisingly only a gouge on her bow is all tat happened.

Next day I say enough of this and rent a mooring buoy for the season. Put boat in water and everything is great, especially since we had a drought this year, no storms for a couple of months. First major storm roars in and I get call my boat is off buoy. I go out in wind and rain and sure enough boat is pushed into cove against seawall, luckily I always raise keel when tied off, after looking at everything I find out mooring cable broke at bottom of lake. I get out 300 foot of line and a life jacket and swim out to closest mooring buoy, tie up and pull boat out and secure her and swim back in.

Two days later I come out to check boat out only a couple of scratches to show for her aventure and think OK enough of this everything ought to be good for the rest of the year.

Not so fast there Bucko, a couple of weeks later I get a call from a guy on a mooring buoy next to mine that my boat is once again up against the seawall, I go out and have to get her back out to the mooring buoy, this one is not a broken cable but the ring on the bottom of the buoy. Once I get her tied off on a new buoy I notice my rudder is nowhere to be found and spend roughly three hours going from shore to the mooring buoy (ankle deep to over my head) until I find it.

Surely it can't get any worse right, well that depends on your point of view. It seems someone admired the prop so much they borrowed it and still haven't returned it, they tried to visit the interior (I'm sure to get out of the weather during a storm and not take anything). The day I pulled her for the winter I was standing on the deck and dropped my iphone and watch it sink to to bottom of the lake.

A couple of times I made half hearted comments about getting rid of her, performing an
exorcism, sacrificing a chicken or hiring that short lady from Poltergiest to do her deal and hear her say "this boat is clean " but after only having her out of the water for three weeks all I can think of is how much fun I'm going to have next year. I think I need a twelve step program, "hi my name's John and I sail "
Thanks for your story.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Ive decided to start picking up extra shifts at work to start the process. I will move the boat to deeper water and remove the centerboard in tehe water to save atleast one haul-out fee. While I am waiting for a replacemnt I will see how the boat can sail no centerboard in moderate winds (10-20 knots)
Awesome. Sounds like a good plan Harb. Hang in there dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-07-2012
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
While I am waiting for a replacemnt I will see how the boat can sail no centerboard in moderate winds (10-20 knots)
Now that I've seen this:PY26 Keel Centerboard Dimensions - The Paceship Website, I think I can assure you: your boat will still sail fine without the centerboard. If the specs are right, that 75lb board is a tiny fraction of your 2200lbs ballast(according to sailboatdata).

I sail board up a lot - a drop more tender and a little more leeway upwind. Not necessarily a reason to cancel your trip to show grandad the boat, if everything else still checks out.
Old 11-07-2012

justflie is on a distinguished road

Glad you're moving on with it, Harborless. I should change my name to Boatless! Good luck and hope you can make your reunion.
Old 11-07-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Never give up the ship!!!
Old 11-07-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

To the OP, what if we had taken a different tack, say we agreed with you that fixing the boat was more than you could handle and we patted you on the back while you moaned and groaned? What if we actually encouraged you to wail and gnash your teeth over a broken centerboard? Maybe you would have agreed and given up. But we didn't do that did we? No, we took careful aim and gave you a swift kick in the pants, told you to man up and finish the job. Instead of being pissed at us, you should buy us all a round or two when our wakes cross.
GMFL likes this.

Last edited by Captainmeme; 11-08-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2012
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
To the OP, what if we had taken a different tack, say we agreed with you that fixing the boat was more than you could handle and we patted you on the back while you moaned and groaned? What if we actually encouraged you to wail and gnash your teeth over a broken centerboard? Maybe you would have agreed and given up. But we didn't do that do we? No, we took careful aim and gave you a swift kick in the pants, told you to man up and finish the job. Instead of being pissed at us, you should buy us all a round or two when our wakes cross.

I understand what your saying sir, but you don't tell a kid the day his dog died to just go get another. you wait a few weeks.
Old 11-07-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I understand what your saying sir, but you don't tell a kid the day his dog died to just go get another. you wait a few weeks.
I really tried not to respond to your last post, I was doing so well. But...

Whaaaa...

Your dog didn't die. Your centerboard broke. Fix it and quit whining.

Better yet, spend a day or two over at SA and see how many "pats on the back" you get there. It might help you though.
Old 11-07-2012
Blue Horizons

[QUOTE=GMFL;944586]I really tried not to respond to your last post, I was doing so well. But...

Whaaaa...

Your dog didn't die. Your centerboard broke. Fix it and quit whining.

Better yet, spend a day or two over at SA and see how many "pats on the back" you get there. It might help you though.[/QUOT

Please shut the hell up. I haven't whined since it happened and I am already doing what is necessary to make this work. Dont presume to tell me the amount of loss I felt at the time or what it can be compared to. you don't know me. Please just shut your mouth and stay away from my postings.
white74 likes this.
Old 11-07-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Okay - sorry Harb, you're getting a little out of whack here. If you were expecting sympathy across the board, you haven't been around forums much. They are not real "huggy" places. That's actually what I like about them.

Pulling the passive/aggressive thing never works. So, just fix your boat and go sail it. Or sell it. Your call. It's pretty simple, really.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40