SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Please Help Me. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93847-please-help-me.html)

Harborless 11-06-2012 11:35 AM

Please Help Me.

I am really really low today. For those of you who have an inkling of who I am I am the college guy who bought a project boat over a year ago and has since moved aboard and has been preparing for voyages.

Over the past year and a half I have rebuilt this boat. from taking the mast out chopping the bottom re-sheathing to replacing 100% of all standing/running rigging, chain plates, blocks, shackles, sails, ports, hatches, tiller, engine overhaul, new transmission, bilge pumps, barometers, ships bells and even an old copper kerosene lantern.

I have spent every penny extra on this boat. Ive done all the gel-coat repair and fiberglass repairs myself, replaced all the thru-hull fittings myself, prop, installed swimming ladders and re-did 100% of the boats wiring. I added an 800$ solar panel which I mounted along with inverters and regulators..

The point is Ive invested my mind body and soul into this thing. I bought the boat without so much as looking at its bottom and have since paid for my impetuousness in thousands of dollars.

So, Why the gripe? Sounds like everything that needs replacing has been replaced? I thought so too. I mean, the final piece was my brand new 1000$ main I just got put on this past Friday.

All I needed to do now was pay the marina diver 50$ to clean my bottom up so I could start sailing.. legit sailing. Ocean sailing. going places.

Well, The diver goes down and after cleaning the prop and hull makes his way to the keel where low and behold! The centerboard of my PY26 sailboat is snapped in two.
@#$%@#$^^^^% 34 fgvsd %%#$523!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the #%#$ did this happen? I am in a slip a good 1/8 mile away from the shore on a FLOATING DOCK!!!! I can only rationalize that because I am a new sailor and still learning that it was of course my faault. I should have known I guess that you should leave the centerboard up when not underway... Of course I was under the impression that if the board weas down and you did start to go shallow the board would simply "rise up"... I guess somehow the centerboard was down and at lowtide got planted deep in the mud. Somehow waves or lateral forces were enough to snap it.

So there I am. Completely had the wind taken out of my sails. Once again, on the cusp of being done.. being able to enjoy what I have spent so much money time and effort on.. Its yet another thing. I mean.. I dont even know what to do. Im so over everything breaking or being broken that part of me just wants to slap a for sale sign on the boat and hope any potential buyer is ignorant enough to purchaser the boat without a proper inspection--- Of course as a moral person who needs his sleep this isnt a great option... So If I did decide to sell her Id need to do the repairs first or knock a large chunk off the asking price..

Or, yet again, flat broke as I am at the moment, I wait until I can pull the funds together and have a new centerboard made which I expect would me no less than 700$ and most likely a good bit more.

Im just so depressed. I feel like every step forward is two more steps back. I still owe the sail maker 250$ and haven't paid my slip fee yet this month. Now I have a broken centerboard which acts as a sea anchor because the hinged part is broken off so the centerboard is only attached to the boat by that holding pin/line.

I mean.. idk. the only bright spot I can see is that I have both pieces of the centerboard which should make it much easier to make a template for a new one should I go that route. I do not trust myself to undertake a project that will have so many forces on it from different angles.. So I would have to have it done professionally.

Im broke. Ive been broke. I live on a boat that wont sail and last night when I stepped inside the sole was in water because apparently the stuffing box worked its self a bit lose from the last time I ran the engine.. Yet another inconvenience.

My sailboat is an AMF PY26 1979.

So I asked for help... I dont know what sort of help I expect.. Kind words from people who have felt my pain. Seriously I could cry like a girl. I feel so defeated.

Captainmeme 11-06-2012 11:45 AM

Re: Please Help Me.

One of three things can happen, it can get better, it can stay the same or it can get worst. Making a centerboard isn't that big of a deal. You said you did some fiberglass repair so you know how to glass a board. You have some pieces of the board which is more than others in similar circumstances had and they made it . You've gone 95% of the way there, so don't give up now. The worst is behind you.

Is there a forum for the AMF PY26 where you could get the prints for the centerboard?

chucklesR 11-06-2012 11:45 AM

Bummer Dude.
Seriously.
Boat stands for "bring out another thousand", but we always wish it not to be true.
You can sail with a broken centerboard, just not well.

Harborless 11-06-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainmeme (Post 943838)
One of three things can happen, it can get better, it can stay the same or it can get worst. Making a centerboard isn't that big of a deal. You said you did some fiberglass repair so you know how to glass a board. You have some pieces of the board which is more than others in similar circumstances had and they made it . You've gone 95% of the way there, so don't give up now. The worst is behind you.

Is there a forum for the AMF PY26 where you could get the prints for the centerboard?

Yes... But I read over it and it seems too much for me to undertake by myself on the dockside as I have no workshop to speak of. While I have the tools I fear I would not be up to the technical aspects of the job without a guiding hand.

azguy 11-06-2012 11:55 AM

So sorry, but you've come this far, see it through and thr rewards will be worth it. On the good side, what else can break at this point...

Take it from guy that has restored many muscle cars and Harley's, in almost any project you reach this point of continue or "For Sale".

Hang in there :)

Captainmeme 11-06-2012 12:00 PM

Here is a link to a discussion about a PY26 centerboard fabrication.
New Centerboard

bljones 11-06-2012 12:03 PM

I sympathize.

Harb, there IS a bright side.
It happened here, not out there.
The boat still floats.
Replacing the centerboard doesn't require redoing/undoing any of the work you have already done.

A centerboard is a simple foil. It maybe one of the easiest boat building jobs, but it does take time, and a decent workspace.

In fact, here's somebody who has been there and done that.
New Centerboard
He ended up buying a centerboard.

Captainmeme 11-06-2012 12:11 PM

Bljones and I have given you a link to someone who has faced and overcame exactly what you are facing now. Yes he did end up buying a board BUT he also says he has the specs for the board. Get in touch with him for the specs.

Frogwatch 11-06-2012 12:12 PM

Make another, not that big a deal and when you have done it you'll be glad you did. You will then know it is strong and will know ho to do it again if necessary.
BTW, use epoxy and not the old fashion resin.

Harborless 11-06-2012 12:12 PM

Thank you all for your support.. I am sure as time progresses the wound wont feel so deep but right now... Just speechless. I feel like ive been through the wringer, emotionally and physically.

The most distressing part is I became a sailor because my grandfather was a sailor. My grandfather has yet to see me or my sailboat. This December I am planning to sail down to our family reunion so my grandfather could see what his grandson has accomplished. I respect the guy more than anyone else and his days are short.
If I cant make the trip ill be devastated. The rest of the family already knew of my plans.. its going to be such a disappointment. It really hurts right now.