SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   ahoy (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93856-ahoy.html)

2belize&back 11-06-2012 07:10 PM

ahoy

I feel fortunate 2 have this portal into the experiences of other fellow wind catchers & the opportunity 2 share the highlights of my low-tech/low-budget 4000 mi journey in a '72 Catalina 22', off-shore & along the ICW Gulf of Mex.
My on-the-water history began in 3rd grade on Long Island Sound as a dead weight in a Blue Jay race & canoeing Old Mill Pond in Westport, CT.
/> Vermont; more canoe & some kayaking. /> New Mexico; 120 mi., 2-week trip solo in a 15' sea kayak on the Chama & Rio Grande Rivers. /> North-west; 3 solos (400 mi each ) from Lewiston, Idaho 2 Astoria, Oregon, learning to sail along the way (serious knockdown) on the Snake & Columbia Rivers in a 18' Hartley Trailer Sailer. I named her "Driftwood". On the last trip, I snapped a mast at the spreaders. I ordered a new mast, took the old rigging, put it on the new and snapped that one also. I gave her to a kid who wanted to sail. /> Crewed a 40' Hunter down the Oregon Coast. The Captain was crazy & I jumped the ship in Northern California. /> Texas; I saved
$7,500 and drove to Kemah. Madee a 100 phone calls and found her. While
living aboard and working on her in the storage yard/boat launch area, other sailers came by & offered help & and advice (much needed). I hoisted a Texas Lone Star flag in tribute to their kindness and named her "Catch 22".
2 be continued ....

carl762 11-06-2012 07:12 PM

Re: ahoy

Sounds like you have some excellent experiences under your belt.

Welcome to Sailnet from a fellow Portlander.

msmith10 11-06-2012 07:14 PM

Wanna hear more

Here7ico 11-06-2012 07:46 PM

Cool, just waiting for more.

2belize&back 11-06-2012 09:29 PM

thanks carl762~msmith 10~here7ico, i tryed 3 times 2 post in the "intoduce" catagory, no luck. i type slow,is there a time window 2 post in? which forum should i use 4 each highlight of trip?

bljones 11-06-2012 09:39 PM

welcome aboard!
Reading your posts I had one thought:
I didn't know Prince sailed.

tapske 11-06-2012 09:43 PM

Nice synapsis 2bel,

I know the Kemah area VERY well. Grew up around the Clear Lake/Friendswood area.
I look forward to hearing more about the route details (and other details) I think I begged for some on my post (TX to Mex riviera..etc) .

My Columbia 9.6 (31.5') is in freeport right now, but in 9 days I am taking her (Luna-Sea) down to her new home in Port Aransas.

It's only a 32 +/- hour sail... but will be my longest single handed on a boat this size. My last one being a 22'.

Shouldn't be a problem... I am already anxious...getting the feeling like I just want to F-ing go right now. Alas......other responsibilities/commitments still tie me to the land.......(for now)......

If the other crew i have planned for my Progresso trip in Late May 2013 falls through.... would you be interested in going ? 5 days there....7 days docked....5 days back.... I cover food and water.... U cover your own adult drinks...and shore "activities", or other (responsible) party-type of gear.

2belize&back 11-07-2012 12:01 AM

thanks bljones, who is the prince? /> hey taps ~i tried postin' ya b-4, been havin' some puter probs. hope the weather god doesn't hit ya w/ one of those famous texas cold fronts. i loved cruising the wild and wide open tx h2o.barefoot sailing in shorts in january.stay tuned 2 the cruisin' forum 4 some tx hilites. watch out 4 my sea turtle friends.

floridajaxsailor 11-07-2012 08:22 PM

Honest writing how refreshing and delightful look forward to reading more
-JD

bljones 11-07-2012 09:06 PM

Prince. The musician. wrote/performed "I would die 4 U" and other tunes with numbers substituting for words.