SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   San Diego Shakedown Day 3 - The Day the Engine Died (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93881-san-diego-shakedown-day-3-day-engine-died.html)

tomperanteau 11-07-2012 02:55 PM

San Diego Shakedown Day 3 - The Day the Engine Died

azguy 11-07-2012 03:12 PM

Re: San Diego Shakedown Day 3 - The Day the Engine Died

Always something isn't it...lol...What a beautiful sunset, it almost makes up for the fact there was no wind. Great stuff, really enjoy your vids..

tomperanteau 11-07-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azguy (Post 944659)
Always something isn't it...lol...What a beautiful sunset, it almost makes up for the fact there was no wind. Great stuff, really enjoy your vids..

Thanks!

msmith10 11-07-2012 04:41 PM

Tom,
Beautiful footage. Love SoCal. I don't want to be a busy-body, but I will-- does your dog have a life vest?

chef2sail 11-07-2012 04:47 PM

Darm...hope it was ez to fix. Was looking forward to seeing two harbors or where you pulled into Catalina besides Avalon.

Dave

CalebD 11-07-2012 04:54 PM

Actually your dog Friday seemed to show great restraint with all the pelicans and sea lions on the bait barge.

I want to know if you caught any fish, or if you had to fry up the squid and sardines for dinner for yourselves?

Thanks for the video.

tomperanteau 11-07-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith10 (Post 944706)
Tom,
Beautiful footage. Love SoCal. I don't want to be a busy-body, but I will-- does your dog have a life vest?

Thanks!

Yes, the dog has her life vest. We always have her tethered, but when things become rough we also put her vest on her.

smurphny 11-07-2012 04:59 PM

Great video Tom! I was afraid your dog was going to try to get one of those porpoise. He wanted to jump in. Best of luck going forward. Hope the engine is OK.

tomperanteau 11-07-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 944709)
Darm...hope it was ez to fix. Was looking forward to seeing two harbors or where you pulled into Catalina besides Avalon.

Dave

We never made it to Catalina. I have several other past videos of sailing there, but this time we decided to sail straight back because of the lack of wind.

It looks like it will be an easy fix, but I don't have the part. Our mechanic is a certified Yanmar mechanic, so he can get the parts needed. Hope it won't be down for more than a week or two.

The wife and I agreed that from here on we will never use the engine for more than just getting in and out of the slip, and if we can sail in, we'll do that.

chucklesR 11-07-2012 05:01 PM

Always carry a) a fuel strainer and b) a backup jerry can of diesel

and take care of that dry cough you have :)