Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

Peter,

Overall, a 1000 would probably do what you want. If you want an AC unit of some sort to work, you would generally speaking, need at least a 2000W unit to run AC.

You could also get a 2000, 3000+ would be better, and us at your home duing outages too. I did that with a EB3500 I bought years ago. Went that big to power a land yacht, also my home. A double usage use in my case. So just as well to go bigger than smaller. The inverter gensets were not as in vogue as today.

Running one on an angle....depends upon "IF" the motor has a true oil pump. Along with how much oil and angle as to if the pump will pickup and mover the oil around the motor. If it is more of a splash circulating motor, ala older briggs motors. just about any angle will make it such that oil is not getting splashed thru out the motor.

You could attempt at making a gimble, similar to what your stove should have if you really needed to use something like this to charge batteries etc. You might also figure out how much power the charger needs too. 1000W may not be enough to charger your house bank in a reasonable amount of time too.

At the end of the day, best to try and figure out how much power you need, give yourself 25-30% more, and get that sized unit. I can not even remember if a hair dryer or two can run on 1000W, I believe it can, so that would be bare bones minimum frankly.

marty
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I agree with Marty about the bigger is better in some ways. We acheived that by having two Honda eu2000 which you can run in paralell if we needsed something for the house. The One eu2000 is more than enough for our needs on the boat. We atually rarely use it with our type of sailing so far. Weekend sailing or the occasion one month sailing trip each summer. I primarily got it for cruising or small jobs aorund the house, and for the second one because of the frequent power outages in Maryland.

The key for the weekend sailor at a slip is a big enough battery bank as well as charging system. For the person on a mooring some of its similar, but i can see where someone might use a generator to charge also. Be mindfull however that the size of your bank and the way you charge it will still facxtor in here. Without passive charging getting past the 85% range may not be cost effective with engines/ generator.

Peter, how exactly do you plan on ccharing your batteries with the generator,,,direct or througha 3 stage charger. What is the capacity of your bank? what type of batteries?

Figuring energy systems on your boat piecemeal is not the best approach. You should have an overall plan even though you cant afford to institute it all at once because of cost. It will save you dollars in the long run.

Lastley if this is for your Hunter 25 I would caution you as others here have as to the dangers of CO2 and also the hazzard of carrying gasoline on board in compartments not made for hazzardous gases. Many including us use this type of generator very carefully away from our boats so we dont siphon CO2 into the vessel from either the hatches, or the effect of our dodgers creating a small pressure difference behibd the boat thus sucking the fumes back into our cabins through the cockpit. The gasoline danger is obvious. It is highly combustable and its fumes are usually what cause the problems. Most store it in either airtight compartments with drains like propane isoltaed from the rest of the boat or in our dinghys behind the boat. Storing the generator simply in a lzzarette could lead to a dangerous situatuion.

dave
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-08-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I would really recommend the 2000 over the 1. I have both sizes, both yamaha, and frankly while the 1kw is nice, it has a hard time running many house appliances, it works a treat for the boat though. The 2kw does a much better job running standard house loads.

As an example, during our hurricane this year I had the 1kw (my brother has the 2). It was almost enough power to start a small window unit, but I wound up having to soft start the compressor by disconnecting the fan while the AC spun up. The 1 would also only run one appliance at a time (maybe some cfl lights too).

On the 2kw I can start the window unit easily, and it can run either the TV or the fridge at the same time. The extra power really is handy.

As far as reliability. I have over 1,000 hours on the 1kw, and about 300 on the 2. Other than oil changes, and filter changes I have never had to do any maintenance in either of them. I actually got the 1 as a throw away, figuring it would be toast onboard in a year, but it's now 4 years old and running like a top.
Old 11-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While I don't use it on the boat, I have a Honda 1000 unit and find it incredibly useful. It is so quiet, that you can literally have it running between you and someone you are talking to without raising your voices. Seriously.

Bigger units are heavier and louder. You just have to size it for whatever you plan to use it for. The 1000w unit quiet handily ran the sump pump and refrigerator simultaneously after Sandy came through.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-08-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I agree with Marty about the bigger is better in some ways. We acheived that by having two Honda eu2000 which you can run in paralell if we needsed something for the house. The One eu2000 is more than enough for our needs on the boat. We atually rarely use it with our type of sailing so far. Weekend sailing or the occasion one month sailing trip each summer. I primarily got it for cruising or small jobs aorund the house, and for the second one because of the frequent power outages in Maryland.

The key for the weekend sailor at a slip is a big enough battery bank as well as charging system. For the person on a mooring some of its similar, but i can see where someone might use a generator to charge also. Be mindfull however that the size of your bank and the way you charge it will still facxtor in here. Without passive charging getting past the 85% range may not be cost effective with engines/ generator.

Peter, how exactly do you plan on ccharing your batteries with the generator,,,direct or througha 3 stage charger. What is the capacity of your bank? what type of batteries?

Figuring energy systems on your boat piecemeal is not the best approach. You should have an overall plan even though you cant afford to institute it all at once because of cost. It will save you dollars in the long run.

Lastley if this is for your Hunter 25 I would caution you as others here have as to the dangers of CO2 and also the hazzard of carrying gasoline on board in compartments not made for hazzardous gases. Many including us use this type of generator very carefully away from our boats so we dont siphon CO2 into the vessel from either the hatches, or the effect of our dodgers creating a small pressure difference behibd the boat thus sucking the fumes back into our cabins through the cockpit. The gasoline danger is obvious. It is highly combustable and its fumes are usually what cause the problems. Most store it in either airtight compartments with drains like propane isoltaed from the rest of the boat or in our dinghys behind the boat. Storing the generator simply in a lzzarette could lead to a dangerous situatuion.

dave
Dave
Dave I never thought of gas storage as a potential problem thanks for the heads up. My lazarettes are partially blocked off from the cabin, but nothing like airtight at all. I will smell gas in the cabin if I fill up my gas tank and spill some on the top of the tank. However it looks like hunter purpose built a shelf in the aft lazarette for the gas tank for the ob...

Realistically, how easily portable are the 2000 w units, and are they a practicable size for my small boat?
Old 11-08-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Peter,

Not sure if one can get a retro-fit kit, you may want to look into making the genset you do get an LP useage. You do lose some power using LP, I do not recall the amount, for discussion purposes, I am recalling around 10%, so the 2000s unit would produce around 1800w.

A LOT of folks use the 2000w with land yachts, then link together, as at around 50-60 lbs iirc are easier to move than a single 3-4K unit in the low 100 lbs range. Yeah a 1000 at 25-30 lbs is easier yet........again, it depends upon how much power you need! Not sure if the 1K unit will tie together like the 2K units will to produce ~4Kw of power. If 50-60 lbs is too much for you to lift, but you need say 1500w of power at your max useage, then 2 -1K units tied together may be an option if you can do that.

If it were me, I would really try to find an lp operated genset, as at least then, while not CO free, compared to gas, very CO free, way less threat from fumes etc. I am sure there is an additional 200-500 cost.......but worth it imho!

Marty
chef2sail likes this.
Old 11-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Having gas on board always increases danger of fire. Unfortunately, there seems to be no diesel as handy as those little Honda generators. I would love to have a small, secondary, fixed diesel generator but have never seen one that was not too heavy and large to be practical on a 35' boat. I would think Honda could answer the OP's question about running at an angle. It's a good question.
Old 11-08-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Be careful. Read this:

http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/portable.pdf

Carbon dioxide is heavier than hair and even if the generator is outside the CD can go inside the boat. I have been there and I can tell you that you don't fell a thing, you just lose your conscious and then die. That is why there is so many people that die with Carbon Dioxide.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I will smell gas in the cabin if I fill up my gas tank and spill some on the top of the tank. However it looks like hunter purpose built a shelf in the aft lazarette for the gas tank for the ob...
Not a good thing. When that gas you spilled evaporates it goes where? If the lazzaette is not sealed and does not vent overboard, please dont use it. Thoise fumes may make there way to you biilge/ engine compartment/ cabin and a spark may set them off. Look at gasoline storage just like you would propane. Not an expert, but is gasoline may actually be more explosive. I am sure someone her will let us know?

Its the fumes from the gas which are explosive. Thats why older boats like my Islander 28 which had an atomic 4 had a blower which I ran for 2 minutes before starting it.

The eu2000 is not much larger than the 1000. It is light, compact and eeirely quiet and very efficient. 46 lbs

Honda EU1000iA Generator (1000W) - Steadypower.com

Honda EU2000iA Companion Generator (2000W) - Steadypower.com

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-08-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Having gas on board always increases danger of fire. Unfortunately, there seems to be no diesel as handy as those little Honda generators. I would love to have a small, secondary, fixed diesel generator but have never seen one that was not too heavy and large to be practical on a 35' boat. I would think Honda could answer the OP's question about running at an angle. It's a good question.
I had the same problem and for someone that stays 3 months cruising and only goes to marinas four or five times during that time, electrical energy is really a problem.

After looking at all generators that are in the market I decided for upgrading the battery pack and improve the potential to create energy with an alternator. I guess that if you don't use AC you don't need one.

I did not went for a marine generator because they are more expensive (not much) than maximizing the system you have but most of all because it has an expensive maintenance and makes more noise than the boat engine (I am talking about the small ones, with one cylinder).

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.