Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Running a portable generator at an angle of heel

When comparing generators and figuring whether it will do what is required, keep in mind that the advertised wattage is PEAK wattage not running wattage. The Honda 1000's running wattage is 900 and the 2000, strangely enough, has a running output of 1600 watts The 12v output is nowhere near double between the 1000 and 2000. Weird.
Here's a comparison:

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/compa...ators/eu1000ic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

Get online and look up the Honda or Yamaha generators. I got my Honda 2000i for $830 with free shipping offered at the time. Well worth going up to the larger wattage. At anchor I run mine on the stern perch seat. Fits perfectly and is out of the way of the cockpit.
Old 11-08-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
When comparing generators and figuring whether it will do what is required, keep in mind that the advertised wattage is PEAK wattage not running wattage. The Honda 1000's running wattage is 900 and the 2000, strangely enough, has a running output of 1600 watts The 12v output is nowhere near double between the 1000 and 2000. Weird.
Here's a comparison:

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/compa...ators/eu1000ic
Cool site BL, interesting too that the dimensions of the 2000w unit are only about an inch larger on all sides, less of a difference than I would have thought. However 46 pounds, plus the weight of 4 gallons of gas, makes it quite a bit heavier...
Old 11-08-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwks4me View Post
Get online and look up the Honda or Yamaha generators. I got my Honda 2000i for $830 with free shipping offered at the time. Well worth going up to the larger wattage. At anchor I run mine on the stern perch seat. Fits perfectly and is out of the way of the cockpit.
Good idea, wish my boat had those they always look so comfy on other boats...

How practical is it to haul the 2000w unit in and out of storage? Is it too heavy to be practical in a way?
Old 11-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Cool site BL, interesting too that the dimensions of the 2000w unit are only about an inch larger on all sides, less of a difference than I would have thought. However 46 pounds, plus the weight of 4 gallons of gas, makes it quite a bit heavier...
Yeah, the weight is an issue. If iwas going to buy a generator, I think rather than buying a 2000, I'd buy 2 1000s that can be slaved together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I had the same problem and for someone that stays 3 months cruising and only goes to marinas four or five times during that time, electrical energy is really a problem.

After looking at all generators that are in the market I decided for upgrading the battery pack and improve the potential to create energy with an alternator. I guess that if you don't use AC you don't need one.

I did not went for a marine generator because they are more expensive (not much) than maximizing the system you have but most of all because it has an expensive maintenance and makes more noise than the boat engine (I am talking about the small ones, with one cylinder).

Regards

Paulo
I looked into whether I could install a diesel generator somewhere and did find one or two that could be theoretically shoehorned in but they would have taken up too much space. I've gone to all solar panels (now have 200+watts) and if I have to run the engine once in a while, well so be it. I put in a large amperage alternator and a very low wattage refrig. system (smallest self-pumping Isotherm). I just don't like gasoline and row the dink rather than carting around gas cans and motors/dealing with registrations, etc.
PCP and chef2sail like this.
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Yeah, the weight is an issue. If iwas going to buy a generator, I think rather than buying a 2000, I'd buy 2 1000s that can be slaved together.
Not sure I would do that. 58 lbs vs 46, plus the footprint size is well over 1.5 times the single eu2000. Filling two generators doubles the spill possiblilites. And the kicker....the cost of two 1000 is $400 at least more than 1 eu2000.

The 42 lbs is really small and very menuverable and the wieght is really not much. Plenty of power also.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-08-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Gander Mountain has the Honda EU2000i on sale for $999. So I think it would be worth the the extra money. I don't think there is much difference in size

EU2000i:
• Dimensions: 20.1"L x 11.4"W x 16.7"H
• Noise Level: 59 dB @ rated load, 53dB @ 1/4 load
• Dry Weight: 46.3 lbs.

EU1000i:
Dimensions: 17.7"L x 9.4"W x 15.0"H
• Noise Level: 59 dB @ rated load, 53dB @ 1/4 load
• Dry Weight: 29 lbs.

I wonder if the larger one would not charge the batteries quicker thus saving on fuel and noise. I also have heard of people having issues with the generators and some battery chargers. I believe the ones I have read about having issues are the older Xantrex, but I don't remember the models.

Last edited by miatapaul; 11-08-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Peter, if you have a DC fridge, be very careful about powering it from one of these small gensets. The Honda expressly warns buyers that the 12vdc power is for battery charging only, it should not be used for electronics. Somewhere on the web, there are oscilloscope photos of the "dc" power output and it is nasty, the kind of thing that drives electronics mad. For battery charging, it is perfectly fine. For electronics--nuh-uh. Same thing applies to a lot of gensets, you'd want to use the AC power and run it through an inverter/charger. That's simply because they were designed as AC gensets with less expensive DC charing ability, rather than designed for clean DC power.
Old 11-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I hook mine into the shore power with an adaptor and use my three stage battery charger and it doesnt affect instruments or the dc fridge that way. Wd lower our dinghy and put in the dinghy let the painter out some and put it to the port or starboard side at the stern so ts directly behind the dodger and the CO wont get sucked in the cabin. Also we have a dedicated CO monitor on board.

If you were going to use an air con at anchor you would have to purchase a special load switch I beleive because of the start up amp o the air con. It can keep it running though as my friend uses it for that.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner